Body Wraps - The Evidence

Options
Hi, the local sales are getting swamped by these wrap things, with before and after photos.

Is there a link I can post from an authority that debunks them?
Some evidence that debunks them?
An article from a respected publisher with a large audience, that someone with an I.Q. of 60 can follow that discusses what they do/don't do?

Or evidence supporting it, whatever.

Replies

• Sazzl3pie
    Options
    I just dont understand how they could ever work! Get wrapped in tinfoil for an hour and POW you've lost a stone :noway:
  • AverageUkDude
    AverageUkDude Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Hi, the local sales are getting swamped by these wrap things, with before and after photos.

Is there a link I can post from an authority that debunks them?
    Some evidence that debunks them?
    An article from a respected publisher with a large audience, that someone with an I.Q. of 60 can follow that discusses what they do/don't do?

Or evidence supporting it, whatever.

Basic laws of physics?

Edit: think this sums it up
    Body Wrapping

Many salons and spas exist where clients supposedly can trim inches off the waist, hips, thighs, and other areas of the body. These facilities use wraps or garments, with or without special lotions or creams applied to the skin. The garments may be applied to parts of the body or to the entire body. Clients are typically assured that fat will "melt away" and they can lose "up to 2 inches from those problem areas in just one hour." Suddenly Slender, which licenses body-wrap shops in the United States and Canada, claims that "wrapping works because cellulite is water-logged fatty tissue." As part of its sales pitch to prospective owners, the company notes that free publicity may be obtainable. Its Web site states: "Because clients get dressed up as "mummies" and then, almost miraculously, achieve major inch loss and startling improvements to their figures, local and national media have been overwhelmingly receptive to featuring presentations about the service."

Home-use systems are also being marketed through the Internet [A, B] and through multilevel marketing [X, Y]. Many of the systems are claimed to "remove toxins." Some marketers suggest measuring a large number of body areas before and afterward and adding up the differences to get "total inches lost." Life Force International, for example, recommends adding the results of 17 measurements. This enables minor changes due to temporary effects or to measurement variations to appear to be large numbers.

No product taken by mouth can cause selective reduction of an area of the body. Although wrapping may cause temporary water loss as a result of perspiration or compression, any fluid will soon be replaced by drinking or eating [5]. The idea that herbal wraps detoxify the body is absurd.