BMR for 5'5" 200lbs 30y/o?

Options
Wondering about calculating my BMR. The entire time I've been on MFP I've following the TDEE - 20% method, based on my initial weight (214lbs) and I got down to 200lbs eating roughly 1700 cal/day. Sometimes I eat under, sometimes I'm over, but that's about average. I suppose I should recalculate?

Activity level: my FitBit on average tells me I burn about 2000 cal/day, and I walk around 7k steps/day. I have a sedentary job, but I walk a fair bit (to/from work, lunch outings, around on the weekends).

I read a lot on here about how people should eat well above their BMR. The problem is, when I calculate my BMR online (using current weight of 200lbs), it usually tells me my BMR is 1680. Should I be eating a lot more than 1700 cals? 1700 seems like a good amount to me--not usually hungrier than that if I'm not eating unhealthy things. I'm losing like, just under 1lb a week (the last month has been particularly stressful personally, so not exercising a lot, and more booze than usual).

I started in July 2013 and had the goal of losing 50lbs by my wedding, which is Sept 1, 2014. That's 14 months (56 weeks)... but so far it's been 6 months (24 weeks) and I've only lost 14lbs.

I'm weighing my food, being good in general... my diary is open. I know now that getting discouraged at the rate of weight loss is detrimental to the loss, so I've resigned myself to being totally fine with the pace as long as I'm LOSING :)

BUT

Wondering if anyone has any advice re: why the pace is so slow.... and about the BMR stuff. Thanks!

Replies

• anabelpalomo
    anabelpalomo Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    You need to lower your calorie intake and exercise more. The additional steps to and from your car do help, but not much. Try and add 45 minutes of cardio to your exercise routine every other day. I lost over 100 pounds and the majority of it came off 9 months into my diet change. I'm 5'4" 32 y/o and started at 264 lbs in March of 2013. Currently at 136 lbs. It's been a long journey, but I went strong in the beginning which is when you're the most motivated and will usually lose the most amount of weight. You still have time, so just modify your current diet/exercise plan. Good luck and keep us updated :)