getting skinnier but still have a big belly. please help

2»

Replies

• Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    I'm only 8kg away from the ideal weight, and whats MFP's version of ideal, if I still got my belly fat?

I'm happy the ideal weight is in sight, but sadly I feel i'm gonna be slightly disappointed.
    Time for body recomp. Just walking ain't gonna cut it anymore, my friend. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

*sigh* People (IMHO) should not be made to feel they HAVE to lift heavy in order to reach their goals. I get so tired of this being applied as a blanket solution to everyone. And a recomp is only achieved after extensive effort and training with bulk and cut cycles. Not exactly something very many people are willing to do.

I ran on the treadmill, did tabata on treadmill, and never used weights and I got a little definition in my stomach. Never did a sit up or used a weight. Running with correct form will help with your stomach. I'm living proof of that.

It seems on here, and I have fallen into that trap even though my little progress says otherwise, lifting is the standard for everything.

Good to see another view on this.

A) A sit-up won't do anything for "your belly"

B) Running didn't necessarily give you definition in your stomach, the caloric deficit created did.

C) The reason people bring up lifting so much is cardio is normally the 1st form of exercise a person turns to and without the lifting portion you can reduce your LBM along with losing fat.

Edit: I'm not trying to debunk anyone's progress. Just pointing out how important a good combination of both cardio and lifting is.

I really need to read up more on b) as I'm quite ignorant of this. Its like everything I believed is not true once being on here! LOL

I am truly grateful for what I am learning from everyone.

Thank you for pointing that out and curing my ignorance.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    I'm only 8kg away from the ideal weight, and whats MFP's version of ideal, if I still got my belly fat?

I'm happy the ideal weight is in sight, but sadly I feel i'm gonna be slightly disappointed.
    Time for body recomp. Just walking ain't gonna cut it anymore, my friend. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

*sigh* People (IMHO) should not be made to feel they HAVE to lift heavy in order to reach their goals. I get so tired of this being applied as a blanket solution to everyone. And a recomp is only achieved after extensive effort and training with bulk and cut cycles. Not exactly something very many people are willing to do.

I ran on the treadmill, did tabata on treadmill, and never used weights and I got a little definition in my stomach. Never did a sit up or used a weight. Running with correct form will help with your stomach. I'm living proof of that.

It seems on here, and I have fallen into that trap even though my little progress says otherwise, lifting is the standard for everything.

B) Running didn't necessarily give you definition in your stomach, the caloric deficit created did.

C) The reason people bring up lifting so much is cardio is normally the 1st form of exercise a person turns to and without the lifting portion you can reduce your LBM along with losing fat.

Edit: I'm not trying to debunk anyone's progress. Just pointing out how important a good combination of both cardio and lifting is.

I really need to read up more on b) as I'm quite ignorant of this. Its like everything I believed is not true once being on here! LOL

Hopefully you're sincere, as after I re-read it I thought I might have sounded like a donkey.

Running/Cardio is a great calorie burner and great for you. It doesn't specifically do much from your abs specifically, per se.

I always thought it did myself too.:smile:
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member

No, they shouldn't. But if the belly is not the way the OP wants at 115 lbs (and it probably won't be on a 5' woman), and the OP is not willing to drop below 115 lbs, then the only other option to get there would be bulk/cut cycles. Otherwise, she could get there by dropping more weight.
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member

Hopefully you're sincere, as after I re-read it I thought I might have sounded like a donkey.

Running/Cardio is a great calorie burner and great for you. It doesn't specifically do much from your abs specifically, per se.

I always thought it did myself too.:smile:

No way! You sounded fine to me. Not at all like a donkey. lol

I'm sincere. I just have a habit of always lol, cuz for the most part I'm easy going and happy. lolllll,,,, Think I will try and start using emoticons instead. I can see how me doing that often may throw people off in my sincerity... :flowerforyou: See I'm learning! hehehe
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member

No way! You sounded fine to me. Not at all like a donkey. lol

I'm sincere. I just have a habit of always lol, cuz for the most part I'm easy going and happy. lolllll,,,, Think I will try and start using emoticons instead. I can see how me doing that often may throw people off in my sincerity... :flowerforyou: See I'm learning! hehehe

guillaume-approves-o.gif
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    My belly went last and came back first. Working on making it go bye bye yet again.

Meanwhile, my poor face! If the rest of me was as angular as my face, I'd look like Twiggy in her heyday.
  • PawnchYoFace
    PawnchYoFace Posts: 2 Member
    having lost about 25ish pounds in the last half of the year(not much, but they were all fat, i started around 153) and tripling in strengths, i should tell you that a lot of belly "fat" is actually just water retention, cut back on sodium and chug away on water(i recommend at least a gallon a day), try walking around every 20-30min so water doesnt accumulate in that area
  • Microfiber
    Microfiber Posts: 956 Member
    I've given up on ever having a flat tum (sigh) :frown:
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member

I was really just speaking directly to my friend. I wasn't trying to make a general statement about all people. :flowerforyou: I want to encourage him to start the weight training now so that he will retain more of his muscle mass and not lose too much of his BMR. I was trying to help him take action now to avoid the dreaded "skinny fat" rather than have to completely turn the ship around at the end. Easier to make a smaller course correction right now, today.