Gradual lifestyle change or go all in, which is better?

Options
I, like many others, can contribute my weight gain to both lack of exercise and very poor eating habits.

As I'm restarting this lifestyle change again, I find myself wondering when trying to lose weight and counteract bad habits, is it best to try and change one element at a time and once you've traded the bad habit for a good one to modify another area of your life. Or is a all or nothing approach the best way to go?

When looking back, my past attempts consist of me trading all unhealthy habits and going full speed ahead into healthier choices. I'm usually really consistent until something sets me back and then I let myself fall back into bad habits. I find myself wondering if focusing on one element at a time leads to a higher success rate.

What are your experiences?

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    Lifestyle changes are no guarantee for success simply because arbitrary choices based on lots of misinformation in the dietary landscape have caused and will continue to cause most people grief either going in, like yourself or throughout these changes. For the time being just create a deficit with the foods you enjoy and if you want to make a change to some of those foods with choices that are more nutrient dense and healthier then do that, but not for the sake of taste and enjoyment. Make sure it's something you can continue to eat ongoing without stress......it's a process, it will take time but when it does work, then and only then does that equate to a lifestyle change and not before.
  • Swiftdogs
    Swiftdogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    It's natural to be enthusiastic once you decide to improve something. But remember this is a long-term process, and the results have to be sustainable for a lifetime. Make a few changes, get comfortable with those, then make more. Or if you try several changes at once and find it uncomfortable, back off a LITTLE bit, then take the next step later.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I'm usually really consistent until something sets me back and then I let myself fall back into bad habits.

As long as that's the case, it won't matter which path is chosen, because there will always be setbacks to (not) deal with.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    All - or - nothing is no way to live.

Moderation.

Baby steps, Grasshopper.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Depends on you really. Personally, I picked a reasonable goal of 1 lb a week and didn't start to exercise until the 3rd week, when I had the eating part under control.