How to help my weak wrists/shoulders?

Options
I have tendonitis in both wrists as well as myofascial pain syndrome in my wrists/back/shoulders. Working out and becoming active has really helped out my myofascial pain and tendonitis and since I graduated from uni in June my body has been less stressed and tense as well...but I still have really weak wrists and shoulders. I finished 30DS and am currently on week 4 of Ripped in 30, and as those who have done it know - Jillian loves her planks. For the most part I am fine but I have a lot of trouble doing planks, tables and pushups etc. I have modified them as I can (planking I use my forearms, and I end up making my hand a fist when I do tables and I'm doing pushups on my knees b/c i can't handle the weight...) but I want to be able to do them unmodified without totally hurting myself and having pain for days afterwards. I know a lot of these are weight distribution related and I'm working on that too, but it's so difficult when my shoulders and wrists give out. I'm still fairly knew to this stuff and I'm not sure what to do! Wrist exercises? Is there something I can buy to help my wrists out (if so where do I get them and how much are they?) If anyone has any input I would be really grateful.

Replies

• erinxo13
    erinxo13 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • erinxo13
    Options
    Bump
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    A workaround is to do planks and pushups holding dumbbells. This will keep your wrist in a more comfortable position. It's good to use dummbells with flat edges, not round, so they don't roll. If you use round ones, place them on something spongy, like carpet or folded towels.

Do you get pain in your forearm muscles, or the wrist joint itself?
  • erinxo13
    Options
    Thanks for the reply, I will look into that.
    The pain is in the joint itself.
  • sydneybeachgirl
    Options
    I had 2 hernia surgeries on my left wrist as a child/teen from the heavy loading I did when doing competitive rowing, so my left wrist is ruined.

I usually wear a strap, support whenever I plan to exercise with weights or doing a plank, pushup etc..I have been using that gadget one has to push together to strenghten my wrist for a while after my last surgery (about 10years ago) but havent felt any improvement so I stopped that.
    Luckily after leaving rowing behind I have moved into swimming and built a far amount of muscle in my upper arm, shoulder area so I can pretty much compensate for the issues I have with my wrist. However, I think a brace, some wrapping is essential.. I also learnt to watch my wrist position during exercise very very carefully - it has to be straight..if I bend it it hurts.Some days my wrist just doesnt want to co-operate and on those days I do the right thing - pick a lighter weight instead of suffering through - it is no shame to do an exercise lighter just because you experience pain or discomfort and after 2 surgeries and 1 break (yep I did that too!) I really dont want to ruin my wrist any further..
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    You can easily walk to lose weight until your wrists and shoulders can bear more of your weight on them too. And maybe go to a good Chiropractor and massage therapist, an evaluation can help you determine what the pain is coming from and sometimes help deal with pain if its irritating/inflammatory pain to do with certain joint issues.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    first and foremost make sure you are doing things with the proper form. when you have weaknesses in an area it's very easy slack off on form. if doing reps with perfect form means that you only do 5 good ones instead of 20 BS ones, then so be it.

i also second doing pushups on dumbbells at first until you train yourself into the proper wrist position.another option is using push up handles.
  • jmadams111
    jmadams111 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I have found wrist curls (like a standard forearm curl but wrist only, lighter weight) help with the wrist strength, done either with dumbbells or on cable machine.

Shoulder shrugs or lat raises might help shoulders. I also have bursitis so I have to limit the range of motion.

Good luck!
  • erinxo13
    Options
    I had 2 hernia surgeries on my left wrist as a child/teen from the heavy loading I did when doing competitive rowing, so my left wrist is ruined.

I usually wear a strap, support whenever I plan to exercise with weights or doing a plank, pushup etc..I have been using that gadget one has to push together to strenghten my wrist for a while after my last surgery (about 10years ago) but havent felt any improvement so I stopped that.
    Luckily after leaving rowing behind I have moved into swimming and built a far amount of muscle in my upper arm, shoulder area so I can pretty much compensate for the issues I have with my wrist. However, I think a brace, some wrapping is essential.. I also learnt to watch my wrist position during exercise very very carefully - it has to be straight..if I bend it it hurts.Some days my wrist just doesnt want to co-operate and on those days I do the right thing - pick a lighter weight instead of suffering through - it is no shame to do an exercise lighter just because you experience pain or discomfort and after 2 surgeries and 1 break (yep I did that too!) I really dont want to ruin my wrist any further..

Oh wow, thanks for sharing. So basically a wrist brace or some tape helps out? I have braces but I am hesitant to use them working out because I don't want to get them all sweaty haha. I shall look into some tape though, thank you.
    You can easily walk to lose weight until your wrists and shoulders can bear more of your weight on them too. And maybe go to a good Chiropractor and massage therapist, an evaluation can help you determine what the pain is coming from and sometimes help deal with pain if its irritating/inflammatory pain to do with certain joint issues.

Thanks :) i actually started this journey almost 19 months ago by walking, but now I do some more intense workouts as well. I did go to my GP and she referred me to physiotherapy - did two different rounds in the last few years and both plateaued. I am def a lot better now than I was and those things def helped me out.
    first and foremost make sure you are doing things with the proper form. when you have weaknesses in an area it's very easy slack off on form. if doing reps with perfect form means that you only do 5 good ones instead of 20 BS ones, then so be it.

i also second doing pushups on dumbbells at first until you train yourself into the proper wrist position.another option is using push up handles.

Thanks for the reply! I am def trying to do more proper reps than bad ones, thanks for the tip. I will be sure to keep watching out for that! Where would I purchase push up handles? Like at a sporting good store? I think they would be beneficial to me.
    I have found wrist curls (like a standard forearm curl but wrist only, lighter weight) help with the wrist strength, done either with dumbbells or on cable machine.

Shoulder shrugs or lat raises might help shoulders. I also have bursitis so I have to limit the range of motion.

Good luck!
    I will look up some how to videos of those exercises and try them out, thank you!
  • youtalkfunny
    Options
    Rule #1: If you're doing any exercise that causes pain in a joint, STOP IMMEDIATELY. There are other exercises you can do, until you get the joint problem fixed.

I'm sorry I don't know anything on wrists--not that I'm an expert on shoulders, either. But my shoulders were horribly screwed up, and I didn't even know it, I just thought I had a chronic stiff neck. But a friend who knows his stuff recommended "The Buchberger 12", a series of 12 shoulder rehab exercises, using puny 1- or 2-lb dumbbells (actually, when I started, even the 1's were too heavy, just moving my arms empty-handed was exercise enough). It's been a few months now, and they're not "good as new" yet, but they're SO much better. The stiff neck problem I've had for the last 20-30 years is almost completely gone. My shoulders are much stronger, and range of motion is improved incredibly.

As an example of "other exercises you can do," my shoulders still won't allow me to reach back and hold a barbell behind my head for squats...so I started with kettlebell squats, and I'm just now ready to go to front squats. You can do likewise to work around your issues. Until then, google the Buchberger 12. I only hope you can learn it properly from a google search, I was fortunate enough to get a training session on it.

I AM NOT A DOCTOR. But I don't see the harm in suggesting exercises that use puny dumbbells and stretchy rubber tubes. Just remember Rule #1. :)
  • youtalkfunny
    Options
    Oh wait, you're in Canada! You can actually see a health care professional! DO SO! I would if I could.
  • sydneybeachgirl
    Options
    if you can then talk to a trainer, an exercise physiologist someone who does exercise for a living - they will be able to help you learn techniques assisting in adjusting some of the exercises but I think the most important thing is to take things light - even if you can lift 20kgs..lift only 10kgs :) will be better for your wrist and you can burn just many calories with 10kgs as 20 :) Taping works wonders for me but again you have to know how to tape - should not be too tight but snuggish...give it a try and take care..happy exercising!:)
  • erinxo13
    Options
    Rule #1: If you're doing any exercise that causes pain in a joint, STOP IMMEDIATELY. There are other exercises you can do, until you get the joint problem fixed.

I'm sorry I don't know anything on wrists--not that I'm an expert on shoulders, either. But my shoulders were horribly screwed up, and I didn't even know it, I just thought I had a chronic stiff neck. But a friend who knows his stuff recommended "The Buchberger 12", a series of 12 shoulder rehab exercises, using puny 1- or 2-lb dumbbells (actually, when I started, even the 1's were too heavy, just moving my arms empty-handed was exercise enough). It's been a few months now, and they're not "good as new" yet, but they're SO much better. The stiff neck problem I've had for the last 20-30 years is almost completely gone. My shoulders are much stronger, and range of motion is improved incredibly.

As an example of "other exercises you can do," my shoulders still won't allow me to reach back and hold a barbell behind my head for squats...so I started with kettlebell squats, and I'm just now ready to go to front squats. You can do likewise to work around your issues. Until then, google the Buchberger 12. I only hope you can learn it properly from a google search, I was fortunate enough to get a training session on it.

I AM NOT A DOCTOR. But I don't see the harm in suggesting exercises that use puny dumbbells and stretchy rubber tubes. Just remember Rule #1. :)

Thanks! I'll look into this.
    I also laughed at your health care thing haha. We do have pretty good health care, but physiotherapy and stuff like that still cost an arm and a leg even if you have health insurance (which i do not right now) because things like that and like dental/eyes etc. aren't covered by the province. It's sad lol. :P
  • erinxo13
    Options
    if you can then talk to a trainer, an exercise physiologist someone who does exercise for a living - they will be able to help you learn techniques assisting in adjusting some of the exercises but I think the most important thing is to take things light - even if you can lift 20kgs..lift only 10kgs :) will be better for your wrist and you can burn just many calories with 10kgs as 20 :) Taping works wonders for me but again you have to know how to tape - should not be too tight but snuggish...give it a try and take care..happy exercising!:)
    Thanks :) I think I know a couple people who are trainers or at least know them, I'll see if I can talk to them. I'm working on very puny weights right now haha. I'm going to make sure I don't strain them even more and continue to pay attention to things like that.