Chicken...

I made a Balsamic Chicken for dinner last night. I put into the crock pot 40oz of Chicken Thighs w/ the other ingredients. When i went to measure out the chicken into 4oz servings...i found i only had 7 instead of the 10 i thought i would. So the 4oz calories on the packaging...is that for cooked...or raw? That's a 12oz difference in serving size from the weight i put into my recipe, and the actual weight of the chicken when it was done...which can make a big difference in calories!!

I just changed the recipe from 10 servings to 7 servings...but still kept each serving 4 oz. 1 serving went from 188 calories up to 269 :(

Replies

• LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Raw
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,185 Member
    I made a Balsamic Chicken for dinner last night. I put into the crock pot 40oz of Chicken Thighs w/ the other ingredients. When i went to measure out the chicken into 4oz servings...i found i only had 7 instead of the 10 i thought i would. So the 4oz calories on the packaging...is that for cooked...or raw? That's a 12oz difference in serving size from the weight i put into my recipe, and the actual weight of the chicken when it was done...which can make a big difference in calories!!

I just changed the recipe from 10 servings to 7 servings...but still kept each serving 4 oz. 1 serving went from 188 calories up to 269 :(
    As long as you account for the increased calories, which you did, your fine but, you should weight raw in this context.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Remove the bones, and use a 'cooked dark meat' entry for the most accurate value, IMO.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    You should divide the chicken in to 10 servings regardless of weight. Meat loses moisture as it cooks so will weigh less than when you started. I always weigh meat raw, work out how many portions I have,cook the meat,reweigh and divide that weight by however many portions I'm making.

It's more accurate to use raw weight as cooked weight will vary a lot depending on cooking time and method
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    You should divide the chicken in to 10 servings regardless of weight. Meat loses moisture as it cooks so will weigh less than when you started. I always weigh meat raw, work out how many portions I have,cook the meat,reweigh and divide that weight by however many portions I'm making.

It's more accurate to use raw weight as cooked weight will vary a lot depending on cooking time and method

Yes but not when it's thighs and includes bones. Although I'm not sure it's the case here?
  • Bluizflame
    Bluizflame Posts: 151 Member
    It was boneless thighs. I put the chicken into the recipe as 40 oz, then added the balsamic vinegar & spices. It turned out that it made 28 oz of cooked chicken. But instead of putting it made 10 4oz servings. I put that it made 7 4 oz servings. Should i have made each serving 2.8 oz of chicken? I didn't "drink" or eat the liquid and fat that was left in the crockpot from the vinegar & spices.

Either way, it turned out to be 269cal a serving instead of the original 188cal that it would've been had i eaten it raw.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    It was boneless thighs. I put the chicken into the recipe as 40 oz, then added the balsamic vinegar & spices. It turned out that it made 28 oz of cooked chicken. But instead of putting it made 10 4oz servings. I put that it made 7 4 oz servings. Should i have made each serving 2.8 oz of chicken? I didn't "drink" or eat the liquid and fat that was left in the crockpot from the vinegar & spices.

Either way, it turned out to be 269cal a serving instead of the original 188cal that it would've been had i eaten it raw.

If each serving was supposed to have 4oz raw chicken, then once cooked each serve would have had 2.8oz cooked chicken. If you included the other stuff in your calculations, you should have included that too. If you aren't eating it, you obviously won't get the calories