Steel cut oats vs. Rolled oats

Options
2»

Replies

• jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Do steel cut oats cost more? I have both and use them for different things. No idea how much either costs. If I had to pick only one, I'd go with rolled oats since it's easier to prepare and incorporate in meals.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I bought Trader Joe's quick cook steel cut oats. I find them less tasty than rolled oats (Quaker or Bob's Red Mill), but boy do they keep me full for hours!

I microwave them or soak them overnight in the fridge (muesli). I add milk & or Greek yogurt, oat bran, chia seeds, ground flaxseed & a teaspoon of sugar. My favorite toppings are pomegranate seeds, dried apricots, or candied ginger. With sliced almonds or Trader Joe's dry-toasted slivered almonds (or a little of each).
  • Urban_Princess
    Urban_Princess Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I eat rolled oats. Even the "regular" oatmeal I have at home is processed but rolled oats aren't (at least the brands i'm buying). I don't cook the oats, I just add milk and have at it like regular cereal because I love the texture and a a cereal-aholic.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I think if you're someone who eats oatmeal daily, why not pick one that's slightly healthier, especially if you prefer the flavor and texture? If you need to pinch pennies at the grocery store, I wouldn't bother, or if you only eat oatmeal now and then. But if you're ok with a 20 cent breakfast over a 15 cent one, go for it.

Prevention says they're lower in calories, same fiber, same protein but lower on the glycemic index.
    http://www.prevention.com/whats-healthier-steel-cut-oats-or-rolled-oats

What I like about them is they hold up better pre-cooked.