what do you do if...

chanstriste13
chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
edited September 21 in Recipes
you don't really like vegetables? i know i need to eat more of them, but i really don't dig them. and i'm really weird with textures. for example...i love how cooked onions smell and taste, but i don't like how they chew. i don't mind tomato type sauces as long as there are *NO* chunks. stuff like that. i generally do like: green beans, cucumbers, carrots, corn, potatos and...lettuce, maybe? does anyone have any veggie recipes that for someone that doesn't care for veggies? or a cure for the veggie-bly challenged? :)

Replies

• amyfly
    amyfly Posts: 137
    Have you ever tried grilling them? I used to hate things like squash, zucchini, onions, etc. until my husband started grilling them - now I'm hooked. Just sprinkle with a little olive oil or balsamic vinegar (I use both) and lightly grill.
  • Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    I love veggies, but I know some people just don't. One thing that you can do, since you like potatoes, is when making mashed potatoes, add some cooked cauliflower or lima beans, and whip with an electric mixer. It adds the vitamins and fiber from the veggies, but still tastes like potatoes.

I also LOVE grilled veggies! Try seasoning them with a little Mrs. Dash for a kick!
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    You might want to check out Jessica Seinfeld's book "Deceptively Delicious' - it's how to sneak vegetables into food so that kids get nutritious meals that taste great to them. I haven't used it myself because I love vegetables, but it might be worth a peek!

Also, from personal experience I would recomend trying new vegetables. About a year ago I tried spaghetti squash for the first time and now it is one of my all-time favorites! Salads don't have to be boring - I try to mix up different types of lettuce and various vegetables, add some beans and seeds. If it's lunch time I'll add meat (chicken or turkey).

Another thing - I try using veggies in new ways - I started making scrambled egg with spinach (which is delicious when topped with feta). I also blend some spinach in with homemade fruit smoothies. It turns greenish, but you can't really taste the spinach in the smoothie and it gives you extra veggies/nutrients!

Good luck!

Edited to add: One more thing I just thought of - try mixing veggies with things you DO like. Ex. my mom HATES cooked cauliflower, but we made a mix of mashed potatos and mashed cauliflower, and she said it was great. :)
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Soup....get a hand blender and experiment with different soups,you can try all sorts of veg...I love parsnip soup!
    Also roasting veg in just a tiny bit of oil is great, i usually put a really small amount in a ziplock bacg and then add the veg and shake to coat them all, is a really esy way of doing it without needing much oil.
  • have you tried v8? it helps you get veggie servings...
  • cskalaj
    cskalaj Posts: 94 Member
    I don't like veggies much, either, but if you buy the prepackaged, frozen stir fry at the store...those aren't too difficult to get down.
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    and don't over cook them! I don't like them if they are mush! If they are aldente I'm game for almost any veggie. Even beets - who knew!!
This discussion has been closed.