still have flabby arms...to keep lifting or not?

Options
So I've read a ton on here about how girls should lift and lift heavy because it will help them "sculpt" their body and achieve the sleek slender look. I've been lifting for about 3 weeks and I can see muscle definition in my arms especially when I lift or push stuff at work. But my arms are still flabby as ever! They are the worst part of my body by far and I totally hate them. My question Is should I stop lifting and do more cardio? I already do a decent amount. 45 min at least 5x a week, but my arms will just not budge they are not sightly at all. I don't want lignite to cause me to have bigger arms. In fact I want the opposite effect.
Any help is appreciated
Thanks!

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Lifting weights is not going to reduce flab. Cardio by itself will not reduce flab. You need to eat a calorie deficit for that. My suggestion is to continue to lift weights (you will NOT get male body builder arms) and add some cardio. As you continue to lose weight through eating at a calorie deficit the fat layer will shrink and you'll have a nice, muscular layer just waiting to be discovered.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Patience my dear...3 weeks is not anywhere near enough time to give you the results you want. Also, if you're like me, there is still some fat in your upper arms so until you get rid of that, the skin's not going to fully retract. Trust me though, in time, if you keep doing things right, you will see results.

Make sure you're eating enough protein (if using MFP numbers, feel free to go over unless you have kidney issues), stay well hydrated, and keep challenging those muscles by increasing the weight.

Best of luck!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Agreed with both answers above, except IMHO you don't need to add any cardio. 45 minutes 5X a week is plenty. You can't spot reduce. Lifting isn't going to make the fat on your arms go away. Your body burns fat from wherever it wants to. You can do all the curls you want, but if there's fat someplace else that your body wants first it will burn from there first. Heavy lifting ensures that after the fat has been burned away from your arms through your deficit, you have as much muscle mass maintained there as possible to give you the definition you're looking for.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    1.) lifting does not make you sleek and slender.. it gives you muscle definition- it will improve on what you have- but it won't magically make you a gazelle when you are a dolphin. (not commentary on your specific shape- just generic thing)

2.) STOPPING lifting is rarely the answer.

3.) MORE cardio- is rarely the answer

4.) 3 weeks is a tear drop in the ocean.

5.) get your diet right- eat protein- lift HEAVY.

6.) HEAVY = rep range- not a weight (so between 5-8 in this case- if you can physically lift the weight 10+ times- it's WAY to light)

7.) LATHER RINSE REPEAT
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    1.) lifting does not make you sleek and slender.. it gives you muscle definition- it will improve on what you have- but it won't magically make you a gazelle when you are a dolphin. (not commentary on your specific shape- just generic thing)

6.) HEAVY = rep range- not a weight (so between 5-8 in this case- if you can physically lift the weight 10+ times- it's WAY to light)

7.) LATHER RINSE REPEAT

this really is such a perfect answer
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    If you're not at your goal weight, why are you thinking about this now?
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Wow! You've been lifting for 3 weeks and don't have a perfect body yet? That's hard to believe!

... but, really. Give it a year or two before you call it a failure. I've lost 100 pounds and have amazing arms (although I do have loose skin elsewhere). Transformation doesn't happen in 3 weeks.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options

7.) LATHER RINSE REPEAT

this really is such a perfect answer

Double ditto!
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Just reread the OP. When someone says they already do cardio for 45 minutes 5x a week, and think that's not enough, I question whether their strength training isn't just circuit training.
  • Rogiefreida
    Rogiefreida Posts: 567 Member
    Options

7.) LATHER RINSE REPEAT

THIS.

The flab will go away but it takes time. 3 weeks is nothing. 2 years ago I decided I was tired of having flabby arms (and flabby belly, legs, etc) and started lifting. For me it's been a slow process to see some nice definition in my arms, but now I love my arms and the batwings are nearly gone now. Don't give up lifting. Cardio is not the answer.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    3 whole weeks?!

Have to keep in mind that a lot of people haven't taken the red pill yet. There's a whole world of marketing where everything happens in 3 weeks or less.
  • Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Pretty much what others said. Keep lifting - you won't get too big of arms. Get your nutrition right and eat at a deficit - the fat will come from where it will, but it will eventually come from the arms, and when it does, you'll have great definition waiting to show. Also, three weeks is not NEARLY enough time. Remember - this is a lifestyle change and small, slow steps on the road to success are best. Don't expect miracles!
  • Wilhellmina
    Wilhellmina Posts: 757 Member
    Options

7.) LATHER RINSE REPEAT

Great useful answer! :smile:
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Saucy_lil_Minx Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options

7.) LATHER RINSE REPEAT

Very eloquently put.
  • Jane2285
    Jane2285 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    You guys are super helpful! I will use this too! :) Thanks!

Megan:)
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Wow! A whole page so far on a single topic here and everyone actually posted some really good information. basically, i agree with everyone on here.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options

7.) LATHER RINSE REPEAT

Straight to the point
  • TEMMEAlexa
    TEMMEAlexa Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I suggest you continue lifting weights and focus on your cardiac exercises. That really helps. And about the diet, I hope you are already taking your dietary fiber oats. Do not starve yourself. Lowering your calorie intake will make your body reduce the rate at which it changes calories into energy. In other words, reducing calorie intake slows down your metabolism and holds onto your fat. Don't take alcoholic beverages, chocolate, candy, cookies, whole milk, however, you can use skim milk.

I hope it helps.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Have you heard about these new crazy Wrap things? They are amazing. We used to think that the only way to get rid of loose skin was expensive surgery well not anymore. If you want to Strengthen, Tone and Firm your skin checkout it Works wraps. Here is a website you can check out alepena.myitworks.com. It's all botanical ingredients and now affordable to everyone not just famous people.
    I have a picture of my cousin if you want to see her amazing results email me to ajpena10@yahoo.com, I tried posting it here but I don't know how sorry.
    Also, reported.

Ya this is the 3rd post I've seen today that is exactly the same.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Why people quote spam posts with dubious links?