it's 111 degrees, what do you eat?

Options
ok so over the summer I have gained a bit back that I had lost, it's so easy to do. It's too hot to cook and it's so easy to reach for the icecream that you are desperately wanting. (by the way there is no A/C)

so what do you eat when it's super hot

I've been doing crock pot cooking at least once a week but most recipes that I find call for canned items and I would rather cook fresh from my garden.

Replies

• rockinmomto3
    rockinmomto3 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Try some cold soup, like gespacho. Or a simple sandwich with cold cuts (or a wrap). I know it's SO tough to eat when it's hot, but you need to make an effort!
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    mandrine chicken salad!!! :)
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    freeze fruit and eat salads
  • iamdesiderata
    iamdesiderata Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    fresh fruit, fresh salads, cold shrimp, wraps, sandwiches, and lootttssss of water!
  • annastasia76
    annastasia76 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I do eat wraps and have discovered the new (well new to me) thin whole wheat buns that are only about 100 calories and use them for sandwiches

but for cold soups don't I have to cook the soup first then refrigerate it?? I don't want to heat up the house any more than it is already.
  • Samantharose8akaDebbie
    Options
    Frozen grapes are the best:bigsmile:
  • sk_letsdothis
    sk_letsdothis Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I found something cold instead of creamy ice cream to eat with only 15 calories and delish....OTTER POPS!
  • ILUVHORSES
    Options
    how do you post your goals like that? i see you have tatoos as your rewards.. which is really cool, how do u do that? Is it on your profile?
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    ok so over the summer I have gained a bit back that I had lost, it's so easy to do. It's too hot to cook and it's so easy to reach for the icecream that you are desperately wanting. (by the way there is no A/C)

so what do you eat when it's super hot

I've been doing crock pot cooking at least once a week but most recipes that I find call for canned items and I would rather cook fresh from my garden.
    garden was the key word! Lots of great cool food you can whip together from your garden with no cooking :) Change up your salads, do more crockpots meals, like a chicken for salads, cold sandwiches etc. I can't even believe how much I'm using my Crockpot this Summer, anything to keep the stove off!

You can cook up black beans in your crockpot etc. (or any kind of beans) so you don't have to eat them out of cans (whew, high sodium) and use that for protein, toss them in wraps, add veggies, another meal idea! :)
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    how do you post your goals like that? i see you have tatoos as your rewards.. which is really cool, how do u do that? Is it on your profile?
    You can add whatever you'd like to create your own signature line :)
  • skinnytayy
    skinnytayy Posts: 459
    Options

Click "signature" at the top of the page under "message boards" :)
  • Kamila02
    Kamila02 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I make bruschetta... one of my ABSOLUTELY favorite dishes in the WORLD!
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    If you're craving cold foods from the freezer, take some yummy green grapes and rinse them off, put them in the freezer (you don't need to seperate them) and check back later and they are mini frozen bites. Very yum, very refreshing :)
  • CharleneM
    CharleneM Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I have been taking my crockpot outside along with my little toaster oven. I just sit in on a table on the patio and cook away. It smells so good in my back yard. I have even baked pizza and cookies out there. Then we just go from crockpot or toaster oven to patio table....

I don't know where you live ~~~ forgot to look, but if you have a Home Depot, this summer I bought these misters that hook to your hose. You just turn them on and they mist your patio or sitting area outside...the mist floats around with the wind. It is awesome. They look like a cobra when they are hooked up and come in blue, green and red. So, cook your food outside and sit at your patio in the mist...enjoy your yard. Hope this helps some.....
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Anything INSIDE :laugh:
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    We grill when it's hot.. I know then you gotta go outside.. but it's lighter and worth it! Also lots of salads, fruits and veggies, often not cooked but just marinated. If cooked, lightly sauteed, roasted or grilled! I loooove taboule and cous cous salads in the summer.

Charlene that's awesome!
  • annastasia76
    Options
    I would love to be able to do salads and do in the winter time but it gets so hot here in the summer that store bought lettuce turns slimy in less than a day in the fridge, we are 15 miles from the nearest store so buying it as needed is not possible. I do like to do tomato and cucumber salads with raspberry vinaigrette dressing. As soon as it starts cooling down I will be planting my fall/winter garden an then I will be doing lettuce

right now we have zucchini, tomatoes, lemon/heirloom cucumbers, yellow squash, spaghetti squash, tomatillos, green peppers, small eggplant, pumpkin (which I don't like eating) and our butternut squash looks like it's ready but I don't know what to do with it, lol.
  • angela75022
    angela75022 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I don't... I get so sick, when it's this hot... I can't keep food down... Our 100's broke today and a lil rain, so yea I can eat... My Doc was ready to hospitalize me... BTW, I ramble a lot lol
  • Aileth
    Aileth Posts: 8
    Options
    but for cold soups don't I have to cook the soup first then refrigerate it?? I don't want to heat up the house any more than it is already.

For gaspacho you don't have to heat anything up.
    The gaspacho my grandma taught me has diced tomatoes, diced cucumber, chopped onion, oregano, olive oil, vinegar, salt and water and ice.No need to cook anything and for the "reheating" I'd say put some more icecubes in the soup :D
  • annastasia76
    Options
    ok so gaspacho sounds alot like the salads that I make
    tomato, cucumber, small amount of sliced onion and raspberry vinaigrette