What are you making for Christmas Eve/ Christmas

Options

Replies

• YumemiruJin
    YumemiruJin Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Christmas Eve my family is going to another half of the family's house, so that's mostly covered. I am helping to make a squash apple bake but with sweet potatoes instead as to not offend a couple people's taste buds :)

http://southernfood.about.com/od/wintersquashrecipes/r/blbb439.htm

The day of Christmas we're making homemade veggie lasagna (it was going to be homemade pasta, but we don't have a machine to roll it out evenly enough) and a roasted turkey breast, among other things like roasted brussels sprouts.

Luckily my family is never inherently unhealthy in their food choices, I just tend to eat too much lol
  • mamma_nee
    mamma_nee Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Xmas eve is all about fish , fish and more fish lol
  • mamma_nee
    Options
    We have a huge family - probably 60 of us this year- the family just keeps growing ! LOL

My sister is hosting at her restaurant this year - it is closed for the day and we all bring a dish .
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 992 Member
    Options
    Whoops! Forgot to add that Christmas eve, we might do fried yucca with aioli and maybe a roast pork loin and some veggies.
  • stefaniemazz
    stefaniemazz Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    i'll be on my own for xmas eve so probably a salad....maybe a sandwich with it

xmas day....going to my parents house.....turkey, mashed potatoes, carrots, peas, broccoli, gravy.....measured and counted....

no bread, no dessert....one glass of wine, maybe 2....logged.....:)

Seriously? Wow, I commend you for eating so healthy but I could never.
  • mamma_nee
    Options
    Christmas Eve my family is going to another half of the family's house, so that's mostly covered. I am helping to make a squash apple bake but with sweet potatoes instead as to not offend a couple people's taste buds :)

http://southernfood.about.com/od/wintersquashrecipes/r/blbb439.htm

The day of Christmas we're making homemade veggie lasagna (it was going to be homemade pasta, but we don't have a machine to roll it out evenly enough) and a roasted turkey breast, among other things like roasted brussels sprouts.

Luckily my family is never inherently unhealthy in their food choices, I just tend to eat too much lol

I may steel this idea and bring this to share :) - My pasta machine is collecting dust … I like using egg white in the dough mix for added protein :)
  • Diet_Soda
    Diet_Soda Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Christmas Eve we will have whole beef tenderloin, creamed spinach, potato casserole, Christmas mushrooms, and pie. Not sure about Christmas Day, as mother in law does the cooking that day.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    It is just my hubby and me, and I have to work on Christmas day. So, we are having a dinner on our own. My menu is:

Bone-in Ribeye steaks (plus two round steaks for the pups, yes they get Christmas dinner too!)
    Twiced baked, brocolli loaded potatoes (Left over potato pulp gets mixed in with the dogs' steak)
    Roasted Carrots, Parsnips, Onions and mini peppers (Chopped raw carrots for the pups)
    Cheddar/Rosemary biscuits (doggy versions for the pups)
    Skinny Pumpkin Cheesecake (And yes, will be doing a doggy version for the pups...The Three Dog's Bakery cookbook is awesome for this haha)
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Ham, turkey, Beef ribs, mac and cheese, candied yams, stuffing, homemade rolls, green beans, kale w/bacon, Baked fish, Lasagna.

For dessert: Pies and more of those crazy high calorie Pecan rolls from Panera Bread. :bigsmile:
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    Christmas Eve I am just having beet soup & some boiled potatoes because I don't have time/money to make vegan Danish Christmas food (and my family wont make me **** either)

Christmas Day is tofurkey , stuffing, mashed potatoes, buns , chips & dip, mixed nuts , vegan nanaimo bars , rice dream fudge ice cream and lots of bad christmas specials/movies
  • angulasalajillo
    Options
    Christmas Eve, I haven't even thought about!
    Christmas Day - roast turkey crown, steamed chard, carrots, green beans, roasted sweet and regular potatoes and a weencie bit of gluten-free stuffing. Oh and homemade gravy with onion, chicken caldo, marmite and turkey juices.

CAN'T WAIT! :laugh:
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    for christmas eve: baccala with a new recipe, cinnamon/walnut pasta and an orange and pepper salad with capers and anchovies
  • grimm1974
    grimm1974 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I'm cooking up some ribeyes and baked sweet potatoes. I had like 5 different turkey dinners for Thanksgiving (home, work, church, etc). My wife and I agreed that we are turkied out. It will likely be like 70 degrees here on Christmas anyway, so I'm breaking out the grill.
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    Spiced nuts to snack on, then sweet potato gnocchi, French onion green bean casserole, and roast beef for dinner, and gingerbread cake with orange whipped cream for dessert. We're having Christmas with friends tomorrow since they all have to work on Christmas and my family is an ocean and the whole length of the U.S. away (we're in Hawaii). So I'm going to have leftovers while I Skype with them on Christmas Day. It'll actually be nice to have the tv remote and food to myself!
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    We have Christmas brunch. I am making maple sausage stuffed pancake muffins :)
  • chellycakes
    chellycakes Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Croissants, glazed carrots and prime rib! Cupcakes and cookies! Not sure about anything else yet.
  • FitMomOK
    FitMomOK Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'm planning to make a healthy version of an Italian sausage soup with potatoes, white beans, and kale. It's creamy and yummy, even without cream. I think Olive Garden has a soup like it. We'll eat that before church on Christmas Eve.

It's sort of lighter to make room for everyone's snacking later in the evening. Hopefully I can snack on sugar snap peas or carrots. Might have some chips & dip.

For Christmas, everyone wants to order BBQ, which is fine with me. I'm planning to get a bunch of smoked turkey and have it that day and as leftovers on salads.
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    I'm planning to make a healthy version of an Italian sausage soup with potatoes, white beans, and kale. It's creamy and yummy, even without cream. I think Olive Garden has a soup like it. We'll eat that before church on Christmas Eve.

It's sort of lighter to make room for everyone's snacking later in the evening. Hopefully I can snack on sugar snap peas or carrots. Might have some chips & dip.

For Christmas, everyone wants to order BBQ, which is fine with me. I'm planning to get a bunch of smoked turkey and have it that day and as leftovers on salads.

I'm always afraid I'll burn in hell for eternity if I eat meat on Christmas Eve. Hence the 7 (or 11 ) fishes..
  • Dgydad
    Dgydad Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Christmas Day menu will be boneless rib roast with roasted red potatoes, sauteed hashed brussels sprouts or sauteed green beans (whichever the wife prefers), fresh homemade bread, and an assortment of antipasti from Wegman's Mediterranean bar. There will be a variety of adult beverages as well. Wife might make one of her "from scratch" pumpkin pies, not sure. We tend to place very little emphasis on dessert these days. Between the drinks and the meal itself, sometimes a dessert course is just overkill. And since I had a stent placed in one of my coronary arteries about six weeks back (the event that led me here), we're actually paying attention to calorie volume to a degree we really never did before. So, if something has to go, it's likely gonna be dessert!

Christmas Eve, I currently have no idea. I'm on the night shift this week, and the night of the 24th is my last night; so, the wife will most likely set the menu. Probably won't be anything fancy, b/c we're going "whole hog" on Christmas Day. And one of the primary kitchen rules in our house is "if it ain't what you want, fend for yourself!" Or as grandma used to say, "don't be a choosy beggar!"
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    We don't do anything special on Christmas Eve, and Christmas is just my husband and I...

Lunch will be a roast turkey breast roll with salads (it's hot here in Aus!) and dinner will likely be seafood. Dessert is Heston Blumenthal Christmas pudding...they make smallish ones, we get one each :) we're eating yummy food, but sticking to our macros for the day. (We're going to the gym too - we get more food then!)