no energy, at 1200 calories a day

Hello, im a 5'4 female at 145 pounds, with a goal of 125. I've been on a 1200 calorie diet, and it works for me because I don't get that hungry, but lately I've had NO energy. I'm tired. I havnt been sleeping so well because I have a baby, but my energy is just 0. im too tired to leave the house, I can't get myself to exercise and its depressing. Had anyone felt this way? I just literally wanna lay down all day. My eyes are droopy and heavy. Am I not having enough calories?

Replies

• sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Eat more
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Eat more

this
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Bump up your calories. You're taking care of a new baby, so you need the calories.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Hello, im a 5'4 female at 145 pounds, with a goal of 125. I've been on a 1200 calorie diet, and it works for me because I don't get that hungry, but lately I've had NO energy. I'm tired. I havnt been sleeping so well because I have a baby, but my energy is just 0. im too tired to leave the house, I can't get myself to exercise and its depressing. Had anyone felt this way? I just literally wanna lay down all day. My eyes are droopy and heavy. Am I not having enough calories?

Are you breastfeeding???
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    You're starving yourself, and tired as a result?

Shocker.

What do you think the answer is?

And... seriously? Crash diet while breastfeeding?

Come on people.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    If you are too tired to even leave the house then 1200 calories is not actually working for you. Whether or not you feel hungry is not the only indicator that your body is getting enough to eat.
  • red_road
    red_road Posts: 761 Member
    eat more, add breastfeeding as an exercise as you burn calories from it. set goal to 1lb a week loss or less. there are also lots of groups on here for moms trying to be fit and they could probably give you good advice to.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Food = energy

so if you're sleeping enough, you need more food.
  • 00NL
    00NL Posts: 171 Member
    sleep more and eat more !!
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member

Apparently it's not working now. Eat more.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Has anyone suggested that you may need to up your calorie intake a bit? The more you're doing the more calories you need to maintain energy...1200 calories isn't much and definitely low for someone caring for a baby...and if you're breast feeding then all of those very few nutrients are going to your baby and not to you...you need to eat more.
  • turtleball
    turtleball Posts: 217 Member
    your 5'4 and your eating much as me and i'm 5ft, w/ no baby or kids.

you should up your calories.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Am I not having enough calories?

Yes. That is correct. This is why hunger is not the best guide for whether you're eating the right amount. I'm an inch shorter than you, started with the same goals. With no baby and a desk job, I lost 1 lb/wk averaging 1450 cals. You should eat even more.

Also, make sure you're meeting all of your macros and micros - if you're eating pretty restricted calories (and being short, we have to eat less than most, dang it), then you need to make those calories count.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Has anyone suggested that you may need to up your calorie intake a bit?

You're probably the first.
  • MrsB123111
    MrsB123111 Posts: 535 Member
    Adjust your goals to lose 1 pound a week instead of 2. Make sure you eat back exercise calories and keep in mind you DO burn calories while breast feeding.
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Why doesn't MFP just re-do their stupid calculator that tells everyone they should be eating 1200 calories? Seriously, who was the genius that came up with that? It would save the OP's time, the hundreds of other people's time that don't know better but just eat what MFP tells them to, and it would save my time by not having to post this:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

OP - use the above to calculate how many calories you need. 1200 = silly.
  • I'm 5'3, 150 pounds...running around with a little one all day and eating 1600 calories.
    When I was nursing, I was losing weight eating 2200.
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Has anyone suggested that you may need to up your calorie intake a bit?

You're probably the first.

:laugh:
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Eat more

/thread
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Why doesn't MFP just re-do their stupid calculator that tells everyone they should be eating 1200 calories? Seriously, who was the genius that came up with that? It would save the OP's time, the hundreds of other people's time that don't know better but just eat what MFP tells them to, and it would save my time by not having to post this:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

OP - use the above to calculate how many calories you need. 1200 = silly.

QFT!