What exercises shed the most pounds?

Options

Replies

• Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    Fork put downs, table pushbacks and seconds-skipping.

They say weight loss is 80% diet, 20% exercise, and I've found it to be true.

Yup yup.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options

^This! Diet for weight loss, exercise for health. I've been weight lifting for 6 months and doing minor cardio but I wouldn't have lost a single pounds if I wasn't being consistent with logging my intake.
    Yep. Calorie deficit for weight loss, exercise for fitness.

I agree completely about the calorie deficit.

To answer you question, running (depending on intensity) burns more calories per hour than most other exercises. Cycling, jumping rope and swimming also burn a lot of calories. That being said why not find an exercise you enjoy and focus on that instead of choosing the one that burns the most calories? You are most likely to stick with a program if you are having fun!

Strength training is also important as it will help preserve muscle mass while you are losing weight. Weight loss will involve both fat and muscle. Strength training will ensure a larger percentage of your weight loss will be fat than it would be otherwise.

Good luck!
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Compound heavy lifting + caloric deficit. It really does work.
  • tanashai
    tanashai Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit to shed pounds!

As for exercise, the heavy burners for me were haying (lifting 50lb+ bales of hay for 2-3 hours a couple times a week in August really spiked my burn and gave me stronger arms), hiking and shoveling now, though not as much as it would have eight months ago XD. Curse you more efficient body!

Consistently (at least pre-snow), jogging and walking did it. Now that we have two feet of snow on the ground, I'm down to just walking, housecleaning and shoveling, but that's ok.
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Running... I drop weight. Always been my go to exercise if wanting to shed lbs quickly.

I run on a treadmill, now a few times a week since I'm doing videos like shred.

But before shred, I ran 4-5x per week 45mins to over an hour. Didn't starve myself, just running can burn a lot of calories depending on speed/incline/duration(treadmill).
  • Wilhellmina
    Wilhellmina Posts: 757 Member
    Options

I go for this!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I can beat any amount of exercise with food.
    ^^^ True dat ^^^
    I've only had one day this year when I just couldn't eat enough to match my exercise but my goal that day was 6,042 thanks to a long cycle ride.
    You can use exercise to help tip the calorie balance your way, but you must control your intake too.

Sadly I track my exercise in a spreadsheet and my burns this year are very roughly equivalent to 70lbs of fat burned. But that's not practical for most people and requires a lot of time to be dedicated to exercise. Plus you have to enjoy that exercise!
    So for me cycling is the biggest calorie burner and is also the most enjoyable.
  • kdb247
    kdb247 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Exercise is for fitness and health. Calorie deficit is for weight loss. One could be perfect with exercise, but won't out exercise a calorie surplus.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

^Absolutely This^
  • target_XX0
    target_XX0 Posts: 28 Member
    Options

I totally agree !

I check my food and weight most of it. I limit my calory intake and increase my deficit by doing 6-700 cal cardio. (Elliptical mostly, and recently walking instead of taking my car for small, 5 km shopping runs.

And I try not to eat back my sports cals, creating a deficit of about 1000 cal a day.

So by having a good diet (for me 33% carb / fat / protein seems to work, and its often 40% protein and fats and 20% carbs...) And increasing my deficit by doing sport I boost my weight loss and lose faster than just diet.

And soon I'll add weights or bodyweights exercises so I do not end up skinny fat, but weights training AND calories deficit are still difficult to combine for me... So it's cardio 8)
  • nseantae
    nseantae Posts: 29 Member
    Options

Love this comment! I heard that too that's why some people can lose weight and never have worked out!
  • UndoneTwo
    Options
    Find something you enjoy. Especially if you are just getting started. The exercise that will shed the most pounds is the one you WANT to do regularly. Love moving to music? Take a Zumba class. Love being in the water? Start swimming. Feeling competitive? Challenge friends to play basketball with you. Shy and uncoordinated like me? Take early morning walks or jogs. Consistency is key. If you like it, you'll do it more.
  • paleojoe
    paleojoe Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Eat at a caloric deficit for fat loss, do strength training to build and maintain muscle and cardio to strengthen your heart. As far as which exercise is "best", just like there is no such thing as "bad" or " good" food, there is no such thing as "best" exercise. You have to look at your diet and fitness program in context as a whole. Balance and variety are the keys to consistency, which IMO is the cornerstone of energy balance, fitness, health and longevity.
  • paleojoe
    Options
    Exercise is for fitness and health. Calorie deficit is for weight loss. One could be perfect with exercise, but won't out exercise a calorie surplus.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Amen brother!
  • paleojoe
    Options
    Find something you enjoy. Especially if you are just getting started. The exercise that will shed the most pounds is the one you WANT to do regularly. Love moving to music? Take a Zumba class. Love being in the water? Start swimming. Feeling competitive? Challenge friends to play basketball with you. Shy and uncoordinated like me? Take early morning walks or jogs. Consistency is key. If you like it, you'll do it more.

Yes!
  • SexyLovinmeCook
    SexyLovinmeCook Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    I would have to say,, Intervals on Treadmill 4x a week along with nutritional eating and water intake. The pds doesn't fall off as quick but the inches sure do. I will take them both!
  • I found that mixing up your workouts, and that spontaneity and creativity/the i.e. the mental perspective you take on is imperative because it delineates to you whether your mindset is stuck in a rigid, long and/or laborious workout plan…. is what really works weight loss wonders. I'm all about efficiency when it comes to workout in order to save time. I found the most effective and resilient to relapse/yo yo dieting is my mental outlook/perspective and mindset: Always thinking of NEW ways just when i get used to one way…always problem solving and taking on weight loss/health as a sort of challenge that you are facing with your body: it's out of self love and appreciation.. .the more you can harness positive emotions/thinking/creativity and change, the more efficient you will be for yourself, the happier your body will be (because mind effects body, the two are quite tied to each other which is why stress can cause weight gain because you release the hormone cortisol which in excess can cause weight gain)… Thus, meditating before or after… or even making your workout meditative, and ALWAYS focusing on your breathing.

It's quite important to have patience, it takes months to cultivate the mindset, takes lots of tweaking and adjusting, but taking it one moment at a time alleviates the daunting aspect of "I"Ll have to (weight) HOW LONG to lose weight!?" Changing that mindset is the real start to shedding the most pounds. The exercise of the mind. The more you exercise those mind muscles, the quicker things align within to figure out the best solutions for your weight loss/healthy lifestyle.

I have found that focused walking with positive mental imagery and self talk work wonders. Short jogs/running even 5 to 10 minutes a few times a week… having a "No matter what's list" where you write down your "trouble area workouts" for me it's just 2… which means.. NO MATTER what I will do my stomach crunches and leg lifts everyday/no matter how stressed or blessed or negative I feel. That way, even fi you "go off your diet" you are still reinforcing yourself and feeling like you're doing good by keeping those "Trouble areas" in motion.

FOOD is very important. For me, not eating after 8 has been like the quickest way to weight loss… My metabolism slows WAY down. Eating SLOW and thoughtfully and chewing each bite has shown to aid in great progress in my weight loss. All of this together will make for the greatest health/weight loss experience:

meditation
    positive self talk
    walking
    jogging
    no matter whats list.. meaning.. "i can't get to my whole workout, but i will do these regardless of time crunch… (usually no matter whats are the shortest set of reps or small end of your entire workout)"
    creativity/spontaniety/changing up workouts/problem solving + working WITH your body
    eating SLOWLY (less stressed = less cortisol release = more weight loss)
    breathe while you eat too,
    make sure you're not breathing to shallow throughout the day
    DRINK LOTS OF WATER. (cleans out impurities and allows mind to think clearer and organs to function better)
    Strength Training empowers you as well. even light reps. arm lifts/leg lifts/crunches/ and breathing focus while you do them
    Fruits/veggies/protein/
    i really cut out almost all carbs/grains in forms of bread and such… anything iwht wheat/flour i TRULY try to avoid.. I found I shed weight like no other.

I was once 160 5'1. I'm not 5'1 101lbs. My frame is very tiny and I struggle because of metabolic issues. I've struggled greatly especially

the exercise of love sheds the most pounds, I'm not kidding you.
    Try it!
  • nseantae
    nseantae Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I found that mixing up your workouts, and that spontaneity and creativity/the i.e. the mental perspective you take on is imperative because it delineates to you whether your mindset is stuck in a rigid, long and/or laborious workout plan…. is what really works weight loss wonders. I'm all about efficiency when it comes to workout in order to save time. I found the most effective and resilient to relapse/yo yo dieting is my mental outlook/perspective and mindset: Always thinking of NEW ways just when i get used to one way…always problem solving and taking on weight loss/health as a sort of challenge that you are facing with your body: it's out of self love and appreciation.. .the more you can harness positive emotions/thinking/creativity and change, the more efficient you will be for yourself, the happier your body will be (because mind effects body, the two are quite tied to each other which is why stress can cause weight gain because you release the hormone cortisol which in excess can cause weight gain)… Thus, meditating before or after… or even making your workout meditative, and ALWAYS focusing on your breathing.

It's quite important to have patience, it takes months to cultivate the mindset, takes lots of tweaking and adjusting, but taking it one moment at a time alleviates the daunting aspect of "I"Ll have to (weight) HOW LONG to lose weight!?" Changing that mindset is the real start to shedding the most pounds. The exercise of the mind. The more you exercise those mind muscles, the quicker things align within to figure out the best solutions for your weight loss/healthy lifestyle.

I have found that focused walking with positive mental imagery and self talk work wonders. Short jogs/running even 5 to 10 minutes a few times a week… having a "No matter what's list" where you write down your "trouble area workouts" for me it's just 2… which means.. NO MATTER what I will do my stomach crunches and leg lifts everyday/no matter how stressed or blessed or negative I feel. That way, even fi you "go off your diet" you are still reinforcing yourself and feeling like you're doing good by keeping those "Trouble areas" in motion.

FOOD is very important. For me, not eating after 8 has been like the quickest way to weight loss… My metabolism slows WAY down. Eating SLOW and thoughtfully and chewing each bite has shown to aid in great progress in my weight loss. All of this together will make for the greatest health/weight loss experience:

meditation
    positive self talk
    walking
    jogging
    no matter whats list.. meaning.. "i can't get to my whole workout, but i will do these regardless of time crunch… (usually no matter whats are the shortest set of reps or small end of your entire workout)"
    creativity/spontaniety/changing up workouts/problem solving + working WITH your body
    eating SLOWLY (less stressed = less cortisol release = more weight loss)
    breathe while you eat too,
    make sure you're not breathing to shallow throughout the day
    DRINK LOTS OF WATER. (cleans out impurities and allows mind to think clearer and organs to function better)
    Strength Training empowers you as well. even light reps. arm lifts/leg lifts/crunches/ and breathing focus while you do them
    Fruits/veggies/protein/
    i really cut out almost all carbs/grains in forms of bread and such… anything iwht wheat/flour i TRULY try to avoid.. I found I shed weight like no other.

I was once 160 5'1. I'm not 5'1 101lbs. My frame is very tiny and I struggle because of metabolic issues. I've struggled greatly especially

the exercise of love sheds the most pounds, I'm not kidding you.
    Try it!
    Thank you! I believe it is God through Love that is helping me right now! I can do this!
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    No exercise sheds pounds. Calorie deficits shed pounds. Lifting heavy helps ensure that most of those pounds are fat.
  • ME0172
    ME0172 Posts: 200
    Options
    Use MFP app to log all your food intake and calorie burn and stay under the calorie goal it has set for you every day. Invest in a good heartrate monitor that will tell you how many calories you've burned everytime you workout, so when when you log in your exercise you're not guessing, or going by an estimate that's preprogrammed in. Be accurate and remain under your daily goals and you'll see the weight start coming off. The best exercise for you is whatever you can tolerate and whatever you enjoy doing. Once you start seeing the calories burned on your heartrate monitor you'll discover what works best for you. Do whatever you will enjoy the most because that's what you'll continue to do. Take a group fitness class, walk, dance in your living room to your favorite music. Jogging 4 times a week didn't work for me because I have bad joints. You can achieve the same calorie burn with a stationary bike and other forms of cardio - it's about your heartrate. Make sure you talk to your doctor about your plans.

And good luck to you!!!