Labels From Society, Not all Real Women are Curvy

Options
http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-11601/hey-not-all-real-women-have-curves.html

I saw this article and it radiated to me. Growing up all the time I was told that I was "too skinny for a black female". I always thought that this was a ridiculous notion. I watched what I ate and I was physically active. Most importantly, I was happy with who I was and I still am.I am curious as to who has run into this,

Replies

• turtleball
    turtleball Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I got picked on also, people always have bad things to say no matter if your short or tall, skinny or fat.

By the end of the day you are you and thats it.
  • nespinosa3
    Options
    People will always have something bad to say...I am Latina, and super curvy...guess what? some people would love it if I would just be skinny and got rid of these curves. However, a couple of years ago I starved myself and got "skinny", and everyone told me I looked sick and disproportionate...
  • glitterstreet
    Options
    I have some curves but nothing significant.This is all just marketing, the media has successfully embedded within our culture the idea that women who have 'curves' are ideal. When the media says curvy they usually mean overweight and beyond although that isn't what curvy is in order to create a politically correct label to sell products and communicate to the increasingly large proportion of society who is not within a healthy weight range; "You wear size 20 jeans but it's okay real women have curves, here, keep consuming our products".
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Author of that article has curves. Hell, men have curves. People have curves. Most living things have curves.

Real women don't need to be fat. But can be. Doesn't have much to do with being a woman.
  • Shellz31
    Shellz31 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    The article reminds me of a high school friend of mine. She was skinny and blonde and conventionally pretty in high school. I've been overweight since grade school. I didn't see her for a few years then we ended up working at the same place. She had gained 50+ pounds and she constantly made comments about "skinny b*tches" and otherwise insulted anyone slim. I've never hated slim people. I went through a period of being jealous of skinny girl, but grew to love my hips, thighs, and butt. It seemed so transparent that she simply didn't like what happened to her body and was projected her anger onto others. It made me not want to be around her, and I ended up avoiding her while we worked together.

Body shaming is body shaming and wrong whether directed toward slim or overweight people. But I do think, in our society, slimmer people are much less discriminated against than big people, as studies have shown.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I've been disturbingly skinny (really) and quite plump and everything in between, and it's amazing how many of those weights came with rude nicknames (from my brother, mainly). The teeny little space where I wasn't either Thunder Thighs or Twig was quite a small little range of pounds! Basically, it's always going to be something when it comes from the outside. Trying to please everybody would be absolutely impossible, of course.

My favorite weight on me is still Thunder Thighs, but I like it :D I'm not naturally anywhere near 'twig', lol. If I were, I'm sure my favorite weight on me would be smaller, and that's completely cool as well, I think. I used to want to look like a ballerina, though, and that was a bad thing for me to want given my proportions/bone structure. I wish I'd known that growing up!