binge eating?

Options
I am a stay at home mom of two and am completely stressed! I guess that's where the stress eating comes into play. My husband works about 12 hours a day 6 days a week so I have no help. Anyway I do great during the day. I exercise 4 or 5 times a week and eat great during the day. The problem is when i put the kids to bed and do my cleaning I eat everything in sight every night! Its not like oh I need a snack feeling its a I HAVE TO HAVE IT feeling. I have plenty of fruits and veggies to snack on but its not as good as 2 or 3 bowls of cereal, 2 slices pizza from the freezer. That's what I had tonight. I always say tomorrow will be different but it never is. Is anyone else going through this? Or does anyone have any tips?i

Replies

• WannabeStressFree
    WannabeStressFree Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    me! I'm trying to get a grip on it, sometimes I'm successful sometimes I'm not, lately this week has been bad. There's binge support groups on MFP, and many people seem to go through this.
    What worked for me is to eat well during the day that way I'm not super hungry at night.
    Then, I simply stay away from the kitchen area (I live in a studio so the I practically live in the kitchen! lol
    Lately when I binge I go to the fridge and open it then it's out of control.
    So I'm starting again and try to stop these behaviors, I'm gaining weight, it's depressing!
    good luck!
  • sheri833
    Options
    Thank you! I am new to mfp and thought there were binge eating groups but couldn't find one. I am gaining weight too :(. Actually I have gained 3 pounds since trying to loose weight.
  • ChancyW
    ChancyW Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I've definitely done my fair share of binge eating. I think the thing that has been most helpful for me is to set a timer. I can eat what I want but when that timer goes off, I am done eating for the night. Period. Then I go to bed at a reasonable hour. When I am up really late I tend to look for something to eat.

Take it one step at a time and try not to talk down to yourself for doing it. The more guilty you feel, the more likely you will continue the cycle.

This is just what has worked for me. :smile:
  • shadowfeet33
    shadowfeet33 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    You are not alone! My eating is stress related too, and it is pretty ridiculous how much food I can put away at times. I can do great all day then bam over with! I never thought about looking for a group on here. That is a good idea.
  • JasonAxelrod
    JasonAxelrod Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Keeping busy in order to avoid seeking comfort and familiarity and relaxation in food has been a real challenge for me. I've been blazing through I don't know how many different outlets in order to try and find one that I'm passionate about to lean on when I'm in these same situations. Right now, it's painting. You're a stay-at-home mom, so getting out is hard, but you can still keep yourself engaged and busy. Create a space for yourself at home that you can go to and be productive and engage in something interesting and meaningful to you. Aside from counting calories or limiting what food you keep available to you, I don't have many other suggestions. Self control is really, really hard. I have compulsive eating disorder and I'm still not very well-equipped to deal with emotional triggers. In between them, I do my best to avoid spending any kind of comfort time with food by keeping busy or going out.
  • MsMimidoll
    MsMimidoll Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I was binging at night, what I found that helped was making dinner my biggest meal, and getting to bed at a reasonable time.
  • redcat72
    redcat72 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Same issue here. I'm sticking to the types of food I'm targeting, but the cravings for sweets and bingeing especially at dinner time is happening every day.
  • Schonprinzessin
    Schonprinzessin Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    We all binge eat, it's nothing to be ashamed of really, but it can be very addicting. Just like drugs, sex and gambling, it triggers a reward path in your brain - everytime you eat something "taboo", dopamine is released into your blood and makes your body feel blissful (no matter how much your stomach hurts after). The more you do this, the more your body will crave the dopamine.
    Best advice? Cold turkey, try your hardest not to binge, go on a chat room if it's really unbearable. Just do whatever you can to stay away from the kitchen! I know how uncontrollable that urge can be, but also know it can be helped with a little self-discipline. :)
    Best of luck!
  • little_eskimo
    little_eskimo Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I definitely struggle with it too! I just re-created a MFP account after losing 40 lbs originally and regaining 10+ lbs over the past semester as a result of too much binging. I'm so disappointed in myself, but I know I can't give up! I realized that when I stopped being as active on MFP and stopped allowing people to hold me accountable, the binging got really bad. Which is why I'm back :)
  • catholiclorimom
    catholiclorimom Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I too got in the habit of binge eating while raising my kids alone. It was hard to break, but good for my health and for my family as I lost energy and felt terrible carrying around all the extra pounds. The change came with changing my thought patterns.

try to figure out why you are night eating--here are some possibilities:
    I finally have some down time and I am going to relax with something to eat.
    It's finally peaceful and quiet and I am going to treat myself with a snack.
    I made it though another day with the kids, all on my own, and I am going to celebrate with food and lots of it.
    I made it through another day with the kids, all on my own, and I feel lonely, and I am going to soothe myself with a treat.

Once you can pinpoint your motivation you can make some subtle changes in your thought process:
    I finally have some down time and I am going to relax with a nice warm bath, or have a cup of tea.
    It's finally peaceful and quiet and I am going to treat myself with a pre-planned snack--a baked apple, lite popcorn, or cocoa.
    I made it through another day with the kids, all on my own, and I am going to celebrate with a diet soda in a fancy glass.
    I made it through another day with the kids, all on my own, and I feel lonely, I know that food will never fill up this emptiness, (there is never enough food for that) what can fill up the emptiness? talk with a friend, write in my journal, pray, fix my nails, do a craft I enjoy, play music etc.

Once you begin this journey you will be more knowledgeable about yourself. These challenges will make you more honest and creative. Do not let food direct your life--you direct your life. Avoid a victim mentality--be strong and live strong. You can do this!
  • Skarlet13
    Skarlet13 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I also have a major problem with food. For some reason I don't get full. I can just keep eating and eating and eating. An entire pizza? No problem! This is why I'm overweight. If you can just get yourself to start and see some results you will have more motivation to keep going. I've lost 6 lbs in 3 weeks and it is motivating me to stay on course. Also remember that when you reach your goal weight you can increase calories: that should be something to look forward to. I'm dreaming about it already. LOL.

One tip is maybe to save some of your calories for later in the day so you have something to look forward to. This has helped me a lot, especially at night.

Good luck.
  • Brandolin11
    Brandolin11 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    You are not alone! As a grateful recovering compulsive overeater, I could talk about this subject all day, but here are a couple of wonderful sources for you to check out to start to educate yourself on what's going on under the surface and how to handle it.

http://www.brainoverbinge.com/blog-1/

http://www.aa.org/bigbookonline/en_tableofcnt.cfm
    (^^This is actually the "Big Book" for Alcoholics Anonymous - as you read it, simply replace the words "alcohol" and "alcoholic" with "food" and "compulsive overeater" and you'll be amazed the similarities between alcohol binge and food binge symptoms and behaviors. I'm not saying YOU are an addict, but the information in this book applies even to folks who are - just gives lots of great advice!)
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Keeping busy in order to avoid seeking comfort and familiarity and relaxation in food has been a real challenge for me. I've been blazing through I don't know how many different outlets in order to try and find one that I'm passionate about to lean on when I'm in these same situations. Right now, it's painting. You're a stay-at-home mom, so getting out is hard, but you can still keep yourself engaged and busy. Create a space for yourself at home that you can go to and be productive and engage in something interesting and meaningful to you. Aside from counting calories or limiting what food you keep available to you, I don't have many other suggestions. Self control is really, really hard. I have compulsive eating disorder and I'm still not very well-equipped to deal with emotional triggers. In between them, I do my best to avoid spending any kind of comfort time with food by keeping busy or going out.

I second this. Give yourself enjoyable things to do that don't involve opening bags and wrappers and cartons.

Also, you sound short on sleep. Leave the mess for a morning cleanup once in awhile and instead of going for the fridge after the kids are in bed, go to sleep. I find I crave like mad on days when I don't get enough rest. Especially in the evening. So it won't only help you that day, it will help you the next day, too.

Also, if there are any foods that trigger excessive hunger or cravings, stop eating them.
  • sheri833
    Options
    Thank you guys for all the advice! I had a successful night and stuck to my meal plan! We even had tornado warnings that stressed me out and didn't run to the fridge :)
  • Jkelly1221
    Jkelly1221 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Oh, I feel your pain....

I am going through this right now also. I did so good, I went binge free for a month, and binged and purged on Tuesday night. Nothing I can do but pick myself up and try to move forward. I will beat it.
  • shiela1963
    Options
    I was at 232 in May and very happy w/ the way things were going. Lost about 40 pounds by "blending. Had lots of energy, felt good. I have diabetes and it was under control. Today I am at 275, holding excess water, have a problem with swelling, heel pain that borders being one of the worse pains I have ever experienced. I have not gone back to drinking soda everyday is the only bright spot. Just really feeling BLAH......need to get motivated, Binge eating is y real issue, I start out with a good breakfast, lite lunch and then at supper and evening I piece, pick, clean up left overs....it is horrible.
  • teddy_54
    Options
    I will always tell myself this is the last treat, last day of over eating and last time of feeling guilty over food. At the moment I'm trying to see it as a choice that I want to make.. for myself.. not a chore. I don't want to keep kidding myself. I believe it will get easier with the more effort I put in. My NY resolution stop trying to put difficult things off for another day :)
  • crystalrose_tina
    crystalrose_tina Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel!! I workout at leats 5 days a week and can follow my diet perfectly throughout breakfast, lunch, and dinner. After dinner I start to crave everything that I shouldn't be eating. I'll take a little piece of something and swear that I'm done with it, but then I come back again and again and again until I finish a whole container of brownies or cheesecake.

Its really frustrating, but I found that going cold turkey works best. The most important thing is to not beat yourself up about it because all that does is demotivate you and bring you farther away from your goals! Random but brushing my teeth after my last meal helps me a bit and I try to go to bed early, because the longer I stay up the more ravenous I get lol

I try to challenge myself to just turn to fruit whenever I am feeling like bingeing on something unhealthy.
  • allym11
    Options
    Yes! I binge eat all the time. It's like as soon as you get an idea of something in your head that you think would be good, that thought keeps itching at you out of the back of your mind until you eat it!! I know exactly what it's like
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys for all the advice! I had a successful night and stuck to my meal plan! We even had tornado warnings that stressed me out and didn't run to the fridge :)
    That's great. Congratulations!