Do you gain weight when you first start working out?

Options
I just started working out on Thursday and today was my second session. I was weighing myself and saw I had put on a little bit. Is this normal and if it is how long will it take till I start to lose weight again?

Replies

• blankney94
    Options
    Yes I believe so - it happened to me. Something about sore muscles and that they retain a little water while healing. Mind you I'm no expert.
  • hannahn933
    Options
    Thanks my muscles are pretty sure right now, probably just because I am starting to work out again. Thanks for the help
  • joycedomingo1
    Options
    I just started working out on Thursday and today was my second session. I was weighing myself and saw I had put on a little bit. Is this normal and if it is how long will it take till I start to lose weight again?

Don't weigh yourself daily. Weigh yourself weekly or better yet once every two weeks. Yesterday was Thursday and today is Friday; two days is not gonna give you any idea if you actually lost or gained anything. Water weight alone can account for three pound variance. Heck, I've weighed myself, pooped, and lost a couple of pounds. (It was a very satisfying poo.)

Anyway, you can gain weight after starting working out if you are not eating at a calorie deficit. Exercise >> lose fat >> gain muscle = weight gain. Muscle is denser than fat.
  • hulahoopmama
    hulahoopmama Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    wait 2 weeks of regular exercise to see even a half pound drop off... I'm finally seeing results from my 21 days of hooping and its happening quickly now!
  • Ant_the_old_keith_lemon
    Options
    you are looking at this wrong....

you should be asking do you gain fat when you first start working out! the answer is no :) if you were to gain weight without working out at all this would be fat... do not be alarmed.

Everyone is fixated on weight, this is just a number. i am like 210lbs a 32" waist, my nephew is 200lbs and a 38" waist.... i weigh in heavier but am more healthy looking, feeling, acting.
  • hannahn933
    Options

Don't weigh yourself daily. Weigh yourself weekly or better yet once every two weeks. Yesterday was Thursday and today is Friday; two days is not gonna give you any idea if you actually lost or gained anything. Water weight alone can account for three pound variance. Heck, I've weighed myself, pooped, and lost a couple of pounds. (It was a very satisfying poo.)

Anyway, you can gain weight after starting working out if you are not eating at a calorie deficit. Exercise >> lose fat >> gain muscle = weight gain. Muscle is denser than fat.
    [/quote

Thanks I'll do that. It's actually Saturday night where I am right now, I live in NZ so probably time difference between our two countries lol.
  • CharleePear
    CharleePear Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    you are looking at this wrong....

you should be asking do you gain fat when you first start working out! the answer is no :) if you were to gain weight without working out at all this would be fat... do not be alarmed.

Everyone is fixated on weight, this is just a number. i am like 210lbs a 32" waist, my nephew is 200lbs and a 38" waist.... i weigh in heavier but am more healthy looking, feeling, acting.

Great answer!
    I put on 5kg in my first month of working out, but I was seeing changes in my body. I have only just lost that weight after 4 months or diet and exercise but I am already getting comments on how I look. Be proud about what you have started love!
    I do understand though, I get down about the stupid number on the scales too at times. But at the end of the day it's just a number.
  • hannahn933
    Options
    Thanks all for the answers.