Does your gym close over Christmas?

Options
I've only ever been a member of one gym so have nothing to compare to - but for the second year in a row upon picking up my gyms Christmas timetable I've been thouroughly dissapointed and surprised that they are doing much less than normal as I would have assumed they'd put on MORE as lots of people will be off work now and wanting to offset the extra Christmas consumption calories.

Yesterday was basically the last 'normal' day.
They are only open until 3pm today, tomorrow and Monday - so no evening classes which are the only ones I can get to.
They are closed 24th, 25th and 26th (fair enough, their staff need a break as well).
They are only open until Midday on the 27th, 28th, 29th, 30th and 31st (so again no classes I can attend).
They are closed on the 1st (Fair enough).
They are open as normal on the 2nd - Hurray!!
They then go back to only being open until 3pm on the 3rd, 4th and 5th and offer no evening classes.

Is this poor form or am I just being a whingebag?

Replies

• darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Outrageous but then it's a business and as you say the staff need a break.

Which is why I have stuff at home. No excuses! I normally train Christmas morning but 25th is a Wednesday which is a rest day anyway for me so I'll train Christmas Eve. Will be training NYE, too, but then I don't bother with NYE anyway. Will be the usual fireworks so it'll be a Battlefield evening with free super surround sound. ;)
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Mine is closed the 24th-25th and 31st-1st. On the other days, there are fewer classes offered because most of the instructors are taking time off, but I can still go and work out on my own.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Nope, I go to a 24 hr access gym so that I don't have to worry about that. The trainers aren't there, and the boot camp is on hiatus until the begining of the new year. But the gym itself is open. Which is fine....all I need is access to the free weights and I am good.
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    No, that's poor form. Only being open half days, or until 3pm effectively makes it inaccessible to people that work during the day. You need to find a new gym. I go to a 24/7 gym that never closes. You could see if there's one in your area. I prefer this type of gym, although they don't have many classes.
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I've only ever been a member of one gym so have nothing to compare to - but for the second year in a row upon picking up my gyms Christmas timetable I've been thouroughly dissapointed and surprised that they are doing much less than normal as I would have assumed they'd put on MORE as lots of people will be off work now and wanting to offset the extra Christmas consumption calories.

They are only open until 3pm today, tomorrow and Monday - so no evening classes which are the only ones I can get to.
    They are closed 24th, 25th and 26th (fair enough, their staff need a break as well).
    They are only open until Midday on the 27th, 28th, 29th, 30th and 31st (so again no classes I can attend).
    They then go back to only being open until 3pm on the 3rd, 4th and 5th and offer no evening classes.

This is pretty much what my gym is doing, its also a 24hr gym but its still closing over Christmas
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    My gym is open from 8a-2p on christmas eve, closed entirely on christmas day, but back to normal hours on the 26th. What gym do you go to? That schedule seems kind of crazy
  • Losing_Sarah
    Losing_Sarah Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    My gym has limited hours on Christmas Eve, closed Christmas Day, and has limited hours on New Years Eve and New Years Day.
  • mrsamanda86
    mrsamanda86 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I think it closes early on Christmas Eve and then is closed for Christmas, of course. I'm not sure if it closes early/at all for New Year though. I have no problem with that. They were open for a half day on Thanksgiving but I had too much to do to go take advantage of that.
  • minisnee09
    Options
    My gym is open 24/7. Staff will not necessarily be there but they don't need to be. The office is open 1/2 day Christmas Eve and closed Christmas Day. They are also only open 1/2 day New Year's Eve and closed New Year's Day. Those 4 days tho there are no classes and personal training is by appointments only.

Great job on your weight loss!!!!!
  • KaterinaTerese
    KaterinaTerese Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    My gym usually has half days on other national holidays but I think is closed on Christmas and New Year's Day. Yeah, that sounds a little nutty...
  • jfauci
    jfauci Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Mine is closing at 4 pm on the 24th and 31st and closed on the 25th and 1st. Other than that, it's business as usual.
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Mine is open until 1 pm on Christmas Eve, closed the 25th and 26th, then regular hours until 1 pm New Year's Eve, closed New Year's Day, then regular hours again. Can't complain at all. And I can always do cardio on my own (biking, for example).
  • amcsouth
    amcsouth Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Mine is only closed on 25th but most other days (New years, Christmas eve etc) it is open until 6pm or 8pm! I think it's only fair as they also need a break! :smile:
  • _jayciemarie_
    _jayciemarie_ Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I can understand closing early on Christmas Eve and not being open on Christmas. Same with NYE and New Years. If you can't accept that--then that is a problem. Dont we all deserve time away from work to enjoy the holiday. Would you rather be working???? Not saying the OP is heartless. Just in general people are really selfish and want the world to cater to them. Now, with that being said all of the other days being closed or closing early is absolutely ridiculous!!!!!
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    I go to a 24hr, get your own key type gym. Always open like a desperate and lonely ex.
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    My gym is open 7-2 Xmas eve, closed Xmas day. I will make up for Wednesday's boxing class by boxing on Thursday with a different trainer.
  • ritoosh
    ritoosh Posts: 190
    Options

I go to 24, I believe there open on Christmas eve and nye but close on Christmas day and new years day. lol
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Nope.

But then 'my gym' is at my own place - I think I've got a 'big three' workout on that day - ideal for any over-eating so the calories go to something worth while :).

As far as commercial gyms go, it's quite understandable as there tends to be a lot less people around wanting to use it and naturally the staff are going to want time off themselves.
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    my closes 25 & 26 Dec, I wanted to go on 26th :( It has slightly shorter opening times the rest of the time.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Mine closes early a couple days and is probably closed on Christmas. Also my trainer doesn't seem to have any open time the week after Christmas - hoping he's just enjoying some time off and hasn't changed his schedule or anything. But that is a ridiculous amount of closure at your gym! I can't get to the gym before about 7:30 based on my work hours - so any early closures are a pain for me too.