Protein

randilea
randilea Posts: 140
edited September 21 in Food and Nutrition
I find myself going over my protein almost on a daily basis. Is this bad?

Replies

• shipleyak
    shipleyak Posts: 65 Member
    No, If you go over on anything protein is the best to go over on. However, protein is what builds muscle mass.
  • shipleyak
    shipleyak Posts: 65 Member
    No, If you go over on anything protein is the best to go over on. However, protein is what builds muscle mass.
  • weelissa
    weelissa Posts: 89 Member
    I'm interested on the responses to this as I also go over on protein every day. I suppose it doesn't help that I drink protein shakes after workouts...
  • nikki91950
    nikki91950 Posts: 647
    i agree with the above poster! protein is essential for building and repairing muscles. and if i'm not mistaken, the daily amounts on here are set way low for some reason. you can change your protein goal and make it higher if it bothers you to see it always over.
  • fxst78
    fxst78 Posts: 221 Member
    Protein is essential in weight loss as it helps build lean muscle mass and is very good at levelling blood sugars. The default setting on MFP is far too low for Protein and Fibre and far too high for Carbs IMHO.
  • eva512
    eva512 Posts: 92 Member
    I also always go over on protein, glad to know it OK:smile:

I also always go over on sugars, but I get most of them from natural sugars. Is this OK becuz thier natural:ohwell:
  • balfonso
    balfonso Posts: 370 Member
    I also always go over on protein, glad to know it OK:smile:

I also always go over on sugars, but I get most of them from natural sugars. Is this OK becuz thier natural:ohwell:

I'd also like to know this.
  • fxst78
    fxst78 Posts: 221 Member
    Yes and No.... Great answer hey! If the natural sugars are coming from foods that have a low GI (peaches for example) then it is great. If they are coming from things with a high GI (white rice, potato) then this is Bad, Very Bad.

As a simple rule go for foods with a GI of less than 40. Less than 60 sparingly and try to avoid anything over 60.
  • Mrbackslap
    Mrbackslap Posts: 145
    Protein is great I get in about 160-180 grams daily and im usually way over but I also workout hard.
    It heals you and you wont feel too sore after a workout.

I suggest ladies to take a low calorie protein drink if your working out hard.
    You wont Bulk Up and you'll start to feel stronger.
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    For a healthy person, consuming excessive protein, if you are working out hard, is probably going to be fine, but for anyone with kidney disease, it can be dynamite. I am not a medical professional, but have done some reading, and have an acquaintance who experienced kidney troubles and was placed on a very low protein diet.

If you have healthy kidneys, no worries, but if not, check things out for yourself.
  • alantin
    alantin Posts: 621 Member
    The default that MFP sets is ridiculously low if you do any weight training, especially if you are on a 500-1000 Cal deficit. A general rule, I heard somewhere, says that a good amount is about 0.8-1.5 grams per one kilo of your weight. Closer to 0.8 if you don't exercise and closer to 1.5 if you do.

According to the Finnish Olympic Committee, 1.4 g per kilo of bodyweight is enough for an athlete and going over 2g/kg doesn't add to the results (many bodybuilders aim at 2.5 and more though..). The body gets rid of what it doesn't need in urine and too much can give excess load to the kidneys and liver.

I weight about 194 lbs and eat about 1.2 g of protein per kilo a day so:
    194 lbs * 2.2 = 88 kg
    88 kg * 1.2 g/kg = 106 g
This discussion has been closed.