Determining Frame Size

Options
I recently read that ti determine your frame size, you need to measure wrist circumference, elbow breath, height and factor in your sex.

How true is that?

Replies

• FindingMyPerfection
    Options
    It gives a resonance estimate of what your bone size is. I have seen some that also include ankle circumference. What this can't measure is your bone density.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    I always have gone by wrist size. My wrist is over 7inches. I have a large frame. And besides the wrist, it is clear I have a large frame. I have very broad shoulders.
  • kagevf
    kagevf Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    check out adonis index. com
    there is a free body measurment that you put in and it will calculate your ideal frame.
  • inside_lap
    inside_lap Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    check out adonis index. com
    there is a free body measurment that you put in and it will calculate your ideal frame.

Too short for scale... Lol. Looked interesting though....
  • inside_lap
    Options
    Be careful with some online calculators. I found this one online.

http://www.healthcentral.com/diet-exercise/ideal-body-weight-3146-143.html

The answer almost made me fall out of my chair laughing. It says my ideal weight range is between 84-92.4 lbs. for a little reference, my profile pic is me at around 118 or so. Can you imagine how sick I would look if I was between 84 and 92.4?!?
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I have always heard that frame is determined by wrist size, but I'm a bit skeptical. Wrist size can change. When I was very overweight, my wrists were 7 inches, now that I'm smaller they are 6.5 inches. According to charts, I still fall into the large frame.

This could very well be true because I have broader shoulders, and at 151 pounds and five four and a half I can see my collar bone and feel rib bones and feel my hip bones.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

The answer almost made me fall out of my chair laughing. It says my ideal weight range is between 84-92.4 lbs. for a little reference, my profile pic is me at around 118 or so. Can you imagine how sick I would look if I was between 84 and 92.4?!?

Isn't it amazing how charts can come up with generalizations about weight?
  • wbandel
    wbandel Posts: 530 Member
    Options

Checked out the link and at my height (5'11") the calculator told me I should gain 20lbs, which would put me back into the "overweight" range on the BMI chart. I'm no where near being "underweight" like it says. Somehow this calculator really skews the lower and higher ends of the scale.
  • trulyjoyouswoman
    trulyjoyouswoman Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    It is not actually the wrist circumference that determines frame size. It is the diameter of the wrist from bone to bone. One can use an index finger and thumb to press the prominent bones in the wrist, and then measure that distance. If 3+ inches one has a large frame. Basically between 2+ is medium, and 2 or less is small. The wrist bone measurement does not change, but the wrist circumference size can change due to bulk building, or weight gain, or weight loss.
  • inside_lap
    Options
    Yep, sounds like its off at the ends bandel. Runner, I have small wrists and broad shoulders. So I guess body frames from one measure can be wonky... :P.