Supplements-necessary or not

Options
I used to take an iron supplement a while ago.I stopped taking them.I wanted to know what supplements you guys have?should I take a multi-vitamin or iron supplement only.or BOTH.I have also heard a lot about fish oil,etc should I take those too?.im confused

question 2-what do you eat to increase your energy levels ???

Replies

• Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I used to take an iron supplement a while ago.I stopped taking them.I wanted to know what supplements you guys have?should I take a multi-vitamin or iron supplement only.or BOTH.I have also heard a lot about fish oil,etc should I take those too?.im confused

I have a god-awful large bottle of men's multi-vitamins that I am taking, but likely won't replace when it runs out, at least not daily. No current view on fish oil but have taken it in the past. Morning burps were interesting.

Only thing that works for me is food - of any particular variety.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    If you eat healthy, supplements are needed, unless you're deficient and your doctor recommends supplements.

They have a negligible effect on energy, except maybe for caffeine. If you have low energy, look into fixing the cause (health issues, diet, exercise, sleep habits, stress, etc).
  • nohaynicknamesdisponibles
    Options
    I'm using a Branched-chain amino acid Supplement, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Branched-chain_amino_acid
    this helps me recovering faster from my workouts; all other comes from food.
    You can take Vitamins though

So called Bodybuilding -, and Dietary Supplements are potentially dangerous; avoid them:
    http://goo.gl/mUTh6E
  • Arbeidslyst
    Options

Taking iron supplements, any supplements when you don't need them is not a good idea. Having a low iron level and having a to high iron level is just as dangerous.
  • Arbeidslyst
    Options
    I'm using a Branched-chain amino acid Supplement, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Branched-chain_amino_acid
    this helps me recovering faster from my workouts; all other comes from food.
    You can take Vitamins though

So called Bodybuilding -, and Dietary Supplements are potentially dangerous; avoid them:
    http://goo.gl/mUTh6E

Unless you're in deficit then taking vitamins will just give you expensive urine,
  • target_XX0
    target_XX0 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    It depends on your situation ?

Get a blood check from your doctor... That's the best way to know if you have a deficit.
    But if you are on a strict diet and you log everything for a week and you see some deficiencies in your daily averages...just take them all and remember to log the calories (fish oil is still oil 8p) :

Magnesium...good for stress, nerve conduction, depression, and fat men starting cardio so they don't get so many cramps (took me a few painful weeks to understand that)

Potassium supplement : if I drink angallon water a day it's good form to support the kidneys...

multivitamin (with ginseng) : they are of course proved of no use if you have a good, healthy and balanced life. I take one every morning, as I'm on a diet and my intakes do not cover my needs (duh !)
    Ginseng seems to have an influence on me. Or a placebo effect.. I just take it in wintertime

D vitamin : no sun, no D vitamin in the body...supplement yourself, your multivitamin must have them already...check it.
    Fish oils : as much omega 3 as a full salmon in 2 pills... That's good as a full salmon might not fit in my daily allowances 8)

I don't take the oils yet, but magnesium, potassium and the multi in the morning.
    And if at the end of the day I have 200% of my C vitamin it's not a big deal...

I also cook with ginger, curcuma and cinammon for their taste and effect on the organism.