Banana Egg Faux Pancake recipe ideas?

Options
shaynepoole
shaynepoole Posts: 493 Member
So today I tried the banana egg recipe I found for pretend pancakes... basically you mix an egg and a banana and they are supposed to come out as pancake batter... Well I stuck them on the skillet and was reasonably impressed.... They even looked almost like the real deal.... then I sat down to eat them... They tasted like air. No, really. Air. Not like bananas, not like eggs, a just utter void of taste.

So I used one of my Graze snacks (Raspberry Coconut Muffin) and sprinkled it over the pretend pancakes. Vast improvement. So I can see potential there but must be mixed with something. And yes, I could have probably just dumped some pancake syrup on them, but I was one of those freaks that ate my pancakes without syrup. Even as a kid, I was Team carb all the way - Team sugar? not so much... which really confused me when I got diagnosed with diabetes, until I finally learned that all those lovely tasty carbs convert to sugar... hence trying odd recipes for alternatives to some of those carbs...

But my question here is has anyone else tried these and what do you mix them with if anything?

Replies

• goodnamegone
    Options
    I loved them although I found it hard to flip them but I've always had bad pancake karma. What I was doing was putting a few drops of vanilla essence in them. I also made a batch with blueberries and they were delicious.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    I LOVE making these. Usually though I'm too impatient and end up just making scrambled eggs with banana. (Sounds gross, but it's sweet an tasty and keeps me full for hours.) The trick is to make sure your bananas are extra ripe. That way they'll be sweeter.
  • shaynepoole
    shaynepoole Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    they looked great and I actually was impressed that I had them come out some nicely - vanilla and fruit are definitely on my list of add ins as well as peanut butter / nuts. Today I went with plain as it was really a test to see it I could make them so now that I conquered that hurdle, I can experiment

They tasted fine, just kind of like nothing - I was expecting more of a banana taste

• lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Interesting. Mine definitely taste like bananas. Again, you might want to try riper bananas (in addition to all the add-ins that have been suggested). I also just use egg whites for mine, so maybe that also makes a difference (ie. less egg tastes, more banana).
  • Kitalana
    Kitalana Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just made these today and used egg whites instead of the whole eggs and thought they tasted nice and did taste like banana. I used one banana and two eggs. I did make a right mess flipping them though, hoping I get better with practice.
  • MelanieKimm1776
    MelanieKimm1776 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My fav morning protein pancake is:
    Half cup oats mixed with half cup water and microwaved for one minute, then add scoop of vanilla protein powder, 3 tablespoons egg whites, 1 tablespoon almond milk, and teaspoon baking powder. Mix well and make three pancakes. YUM.
  • stephinator92
    stephinator92 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I've mastered it...

1 banana
    1 egg
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    Dash of salt
    Dash of baking powder
    1 tbsp of cornstarch

The cornstarch thickens it up and the baking powder makes them fluffy!!!! They come out perfect every time
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Try two eggs, one banana, scoop of protein powder and baking powder. Makes it way tastier
  • DoreenaV1975
    DoreenaV1975 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I use pancake mix, almond milk, cinnamon and bananas and they're delicious! They are a little bit soft and hard to flip but when you bite into them PURE BANANA BLISS!!!! No kidding! And 4 of them come out to 311 calories: my husband eats 2 and I eat 2.
    1/2 cup pancake mix (can't remember the grams but it's on the box and I measure out that much)
    1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
    92 grams of chiquita banana (bigger or smaller will obviously change the calories)
    2 ounces almond milk

You could leave the almond milk out if you wanted to... but I like it