My wife is wanting some advice on recipes

Options
My wife is 6 months pregnant and will not stop griping about her ankles swelling etc....she's wanting some good ideas for low sodium recipes. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thank you to all of you for your help.

Replies

• rockinmomto3
    rockinmomto3 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    My best advice is to stop putting salt in things, and not buy pre packaged foods. Those are LOADED with salt. If she's making something like baked chicken, use Mrs Dash seasoning....they don't have any salt in them, and they're DELICIOUS! And tell her to drink tons of water. My ankles swelled up REALLY bad with my pregnancies, and they didn't go down until about 2 weeks after delivery. And have her put her feet up above her heart...that will keep some of the swelling down.
  • sajar_06
    sajar_06 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    My best advice is to stop putting salt in things, and not buy pre packaged foods. Those are LOADED with salt. If she's making something like baked chicken, use Mrs Dash seasoning....they don't have any salt in them, and they're DELICIOUS! And tell her to drink tons of water. My ankles swelled up REALLY bad with my pregnancies, and they didn't go down until about 2 weeks after delivery. And have her put her feet up above her heart...that will keep some of the swelling down.

This is very good advice. The same thing went on with myself too. I had to cut out salt and pre packaged foods as well. God Bless, brenda
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    Agreed with prior posters. The more you can cook from fresh ingredients and avoid processed food and eating out, the less sodium you will have in your diet. Don't add salt to foods, but use Mrs. Dash or other seasonings to add flavor. Get low-sodium versions of things you do use to cook (chicken broth, etc.... or I suppose you could make your own but that never seems to work for me!) Tell her to stay off her feet when she can too (and do things to help her be able to do that!). I had a lot of swelling/water retention the last few months of pregnancy... the good news it is goes away after delivery but the months in between are no fun! (I also wasn't paying attention to not eating processed foods, etc at the time)
  • Becka77
    Becka77 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    When I started cutting out the salt (due to borderline HBP) I substituted with other seasonings to avoid bland food. I use a lot of pepper and/or garlic powder in lieu of salt. After a while your tastes change, I can't even stand salted food anymore. Also, cut out the sodas.