Hourglass shape through strength training

Options
I am about to start strength training (SL5X5) for the first time this monday. I am hoping a combination of strength training and cardio 6 times a week while on a calory deficit (TDEE -15% or -10%) will help me lose my last 20lbs.

I am naturally hourglassed shape, will strength training help maintain this shape? I am afraid I will lose my curves and end up with a boyish shape. Are there any excercises I should avoid or do more off to help enhance and maintain a hourglass shape.

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    just get started. i wouldn't worry about drastic changes in body shapes before my first day of lifting if i were you
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    Nope.
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    If you have a small waist now, you'll always have a small waist.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Why would you lose your shape? Natural proportions are natural?
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Your hourglass figure is established primarily by your bone structure in combination with a certain distribution of muscle and fat mass throughout your body. Since you'd obviously retain your bone structure and minimize loss of muscle mass, you would actually end up curvier after reducing fat mass.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    copied from another post because I'm lazy and didn't want to retype it

1.) lifting does not make you sleek and slender.. it gives you muscle definition- it will improve on what you have- but it won't magically make you a gazelle when you are a dolphin. (not commentary on your specific shape- just generic thing)

2.) STOPPING lifting is rarely the answer.

3.) MORE cardio- is rarely the answer

4.) 3 weeks is a tear drop in the ocean.

5.) get your diet right- eat protein- lift HEAVY.

6.) HEAVY = rep range- not a weight (so between 5-8 in this case- if you can physically lift the weight 10+ times- it's WAY to light)

7.) LATHER RINSE REPEAT
  • Star_1234
    Star_1234 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Your hourglass figure is established primarily by your bone structure in combination with a certain distribution of muscle and fat mass throughout your body. Since you'd obviously retain your bone structure and minimize loss of muscle mass, you would actually end up curvier after reducing fat mass.

Thats good know!

thank you. :)
  • MsJulielicious
    MsJulielicious Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I remained an hourglass shape throughout all the lifting.
    Just a less jiggly/cellulite ridden one.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

^Whatever advice she gives, follow it
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Lifting is great for shape :)

I'm a fake hourglass, where I have fat that makes the curve from my waist to my hips. If I lose too much fat, I get MUCH more straight through the waist. That's fat, not muscle, but just don't get to a really low BF if you are like me that way and want to keep that curve.

The lifting won't affect anything badly unless you build some crazy huge obliques somehow :D I've heard tales of people doing that, but it sounds really, really difficult to do!
  • MsJulielicious
    MsJulielicious Posts: 708 Member
    Options

^Whatever advice she gives, follow it

Awh that made me smile. Thanks. :smile: