What new years fitness treat do I go for?

Options
I'm considering treating myself to some sort of fitness "thing" in the new year.. but not really sure where to head with it, considerations are possibly a fitbit? Maybe a gym memberhip (but unlikely I already spend too many hours of the day out of the house and have 3 dogs that miss me!) or perhaps a new fitness game for my wii.. I don't have a dvd player so that's probably out for fitness dvds... looking for inspiration really, so, inspire me!

i already have a polar ft4 and am elliptical, I have wii zumba and my fitness coach wii, and I'm not the most motivated of people when it comes to exercising, and I doubt I ever will be.. I'm the type of person who gets bored easily and needs to switch things up often, I am a very indoorsy type person (did c25k a couple of years ago but can't bring myself to go through it again!) so, inspire me!

Replies

• Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    A personal trainer that comes to your house for 10 sessions and teaches you proper form and new exercises..

Weekly visits for a couple of months to a nutritionist so you really know how much to eat in order to meet your goal.

A rack of dumbbells and a bench to strength train.
  • invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    If it were me (who also owns an elliptical and an FT4) I'd go either fitbit, a barbell bar and some 10kg weight plates, (I have adjustable dumbbells with 20kg of weights) or I'd get a folding electric treadmill for funsies. Or, hell, buy a DVD player for fitness DVDs.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I'm not the most motivated person, either. I have an UP by Jawbone: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/apps/show/97 It's an activity tracker like Fitbit Flex, but it has an idle alert. You set the hours you want it to run, and the frequency. So if I stay still for an hour 8 a.m.-8 p.m. (unless I've put it in sleep or power nap mode), my band vibrates, and I get up & move. (Some people also drink a glass of water whenever it goes off.)

Like Fitbit, UP tracks steps, TDEE, and sleep, and it sync w/ MFP. It also gives you challenges, like "last Saturday you took x steps. Try & beat that by taking (x + 500) steps today."

My other favorite healthy toy is a Fitbit Aria wifi scale: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/apps/show/33 It also syncs w/ MFP.
  • Tanana66
    Tanana66 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    A personal trainer that comes to your house for 10 sessions and teaches you proper form and new exercises..

^^^^^
    This!
  • kaned_ferret
    kaned_ferret Posts: 618 Member
    Options

^^^^^
    This!

This is actually wholly unappealing to me I'm afraid! Having an old dog that gets stressed by strangers, and my general unease for social interaction, puts this bottom of the pile.. I am pretty good when it comes to form as I did many years ago use a gym, and my mum was into weight liftting when I was growing up. I probably should have mentioned "no desire for social interaction" as part of the criteria for this! Keep em coming peeps!
  • Joannesmith2818
    Joannesmith2818 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    A cheaper option but I just got an exercise ball which is pretty fun :). I would get the fitbit though :)
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    What about canicross lessons and a harness- if you think your dogs would enjoy it.
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Do you do any strength training?

Weight equipment.. a bench & bar if you have the space.. and a weighted ball has tons of uses. Those big balls are really versatile as well.

There are tons of resources on line, so you really don't need a dvd player. But..I do like the dvds, and a player is really cheap these days. Videos can be rented from your library or Netflix and you'll never be bored.

What a great gift for yourself. Enjoy!
  • kaned_ferret
    kaned_ferret Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I have some dumbells, unfortunately space would prohibit anything bigger as I'm in a small flat (the cross trainer has already taken over what little lounge space there is!) so I think I'm erring towards the fitbit or similar more (though the inspiration to do online fitness stuff is a great one, definitely going to be throwing that into the mix for something different!)

So, if you were going for some small techy thing, would it be the fitbit? The Jawbone up? Something else similar that I haven't thought of?