I want skinny legs, what do I do?

Options
I have always been known to have thunder thighs, and I would like for that to change as a continue my journey. Are there any moves that I can do to slim my legs down?

Replies

• GothicaAdore
    GothicaAdore Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I can't say for sure if it work for you but I do the elliptical every week and my legs have become thinner.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    you can't spot reduce

and you cant rewire genetics.

you still have 60 pounds to lose so you're not anywhere near you goal yet to start worrying about how to tweak things (sorry to say i that way, but that's the only way i know how. your question about getting skinny thighs when you have 60 pounds to lose is like someone in 7th grade worrying about which college rommamtes to pick. you have a while to go before you get to where you'll need to worry about that).

losing the 60+ pounds weight will do more to reducing your thigh size (and overall body size) than trying to do impossible spot reduction.

and while you're losing weight via calorie deficit lift weights. look into programs like strong lifts, starting strength or new rules of lifting for women
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Just keep losing the weight.
  • KiraBaby20
    Options
    Loosing weight in general will make you smaller all over. You can target areas, like your legs, with strength training. I am 5 foot 11 and have "big legs." With strength training like squats, leg press, lungs, I have been able to tone my thighs and but area so they appear smaller. Plus you will burn more calories the more muscle weight you have. Try doing it for a month or so to see if you get the same results as I did! Best of luck!
  • jeannemarie333
    jeannemarie333 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Walking. :) good luck!!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Hey! What's wrong with thunder thighs!? :sad:
  • aggiegirl121
    aggiegirl121 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    you can't spot reduce

you still have 60 pounds to lose so you're not anywhere near you goal yet to start worrying about how to tweak things (sorry to say i that way, but that's the only way i know how. your question about getting skinny thighs when you have 60 pounds to lose is like someone in 7th grade worrying about which college rommamtes to pick. you have a while to go before you get to where you'll need to worry about that).

losing the 60+ pounds weight will do more to reducing your thigh size (and overall body size) than trying to do impossible spot reduction.
    and while you're losing weight via calorie deficit lift weights. look into programs like strong lifts, starting strength or new rules of lifting for women

Nowhere in my post did i say that I wanted skinny thighs in the near future. I am the type of person who likes to think ahead.. I plan on starting my weight training in the next week and wanted to be proactive. While you probably didn't mean to come off as a jerk, how you worded that was very rude... but thank you for the insight nonetheless..
  • KaterinaTerese
    KaterinaTerese Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    getting skinny thighs when you have 60 pounds to lose is like someone in 7th grade worrying about which college rommamtes to pick. you have a while to go before you get to where you'll need to worry about that

I totally needed to see this this evening -- good comparison.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I have giant thighs. I started lifting heavy early in my weight loss. They might be huge, but they look great. Learn to love yourself the way you are now and the natural shape you are. It will make things easier on you when you finally reach your goal.
  • gogeter82
    gogeter82 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    i heard stretching, yoga, an pilates works
    it lengthens muscles
  • usmcmp
    Options
    i heard stretching, yoga, an pilates works
    it lengthens muscles

Not true. You can't lengthen your muscles.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    you can't spot reduce

Nowhere in my post did i say that I wanted skinny thighs in the near future. I am the type of person who likes to think ahead.. I plan on starting my weight training in the next week and wanted to be proactive. While you probably didn't mean to come off as a jerk, how you worded that was very rude... but thank you for the insight nonetheless..

i realized it would come off as rude because i'm basically saying there are no quick fixes.

you have 60 pounds to lose according to your ticker. hell i lost 30 pounds last year and i still have 60 pounds to lose :laugh:

my point is that asking how to get skinny anything when there's that much fat to lose is putting the cart before the horse. it's also a good way to set yourself up for failure.
  • notworthstalking
    notworthstalking Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Just keep doing what you are doing. Underneath the extra weight is some lovely shaped legs. Whether they are skinny or not who knows. If you keep on lifting and exercising and eating well, the fat will go revealing them.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    Hey! What's wrong with thunder thighs!? :sad:

Static.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    you can't spot reduce

That was far from rude. I'm going to give you some advice you aren't going to like right now, but I hope to save you some pain in the future. If you think that reply was rude I highly suggest that you refrain from asking questions on the board. Build a good friend list and ask them on your wall or in private messages. There are tons of people who will make even more blunt and not rude suggestions which I'm sure you will take as being rude. You seem sensitive and you will see many posts as attacks or rude when they aren't. Good luck on your journey.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Essentially by continuing to lose weight.
  • jelineee
    jelineee Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Essentially by continuing to lose weight.

^this

if its the first place you gain weight it will be the last place you lose from. first on last off
  • 20Grit
    20Grit Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Squats and Lunges have made the biggest difference in my stems! Good luck to you on your journey!
  • tjthegreatone
    Options
    you can't spot reduce

If you consider the above reply 'rude' then we can only wonder why you bothered coming on here asking for advice. You got a great reply there. Follow it and stop whinging about how someone failed to massage your ego appropriately. There is 'thinking ahead' and there is just being unrealistic.

As you lose weight your whole body will become smaller. There is no point in targeting specific areas, your genetics will determine which areas will be bigger/smaller at your goal weight. However, with lifting I would recommend compound movements, and target all areas equally. The end result is that regardless of your particular body shape you will look great.

Learn to accept the body type you have and life will be easier (probably should also learn to recognise and accept great advice that isn't honey coated either otherwise life will be one hard slog for you).
  • usmcmp
    Options
    you can't spot reduce

If you consider the above reply 'rude' then we can only wonder why you bothered coming on here asking for advice. You got a great reply there. Follow it and stop whinging about how someone failed to massage your ego appropriately. There is 'thinking ahead' and there is just being unrealistic.

As you lose weight your whole body will become smaller. There is no point in targeting specific areas, your genetics will determine which areas will be bigger/smaller at your goal weight. However, with lifting I would recommend compound movements, and target all areas equally. The end result is that regardless of your particular body shape you will look great.

Learn to accept the body type you have and life will be easier (probably should also learn to recognise and accept great advice that isn't honey coated either otherwise life will be one hard slog for you).

:laugh: :drinker:

I predict this thread will lead to a "People on here are so mean" thread. :wink: