Healthy Backed Chicken?

Options
dancingmuffin
dancingmuffin Posts: 70 Member
Does anyone have a good recipie for healthy(er) backed chicken leg quarters? When my family cooks it it is coated with olive oil and seasonings .Then while cooking we "paint" on some melted butter. ... Yeah need something healthier then this, I still live with my parents and they are very set with this is how it is suppose to be cooked. So i figure next time I will cook it and see if i can get them to like the new change.

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Why is that not healthy?

If you want it lower fat, remove the skin or bake it without oil and butter.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Why is that not healthy?

If you want it lower fat, remove the skin or bake it without oil and butter.

This.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    BBQ sauce?
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    If you want a healthy back then don't be afraid of rows
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I always find the chicken backs too bony, I prefer the breasts. No beasty.
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have a good recipie for healthy(er) backed chicken leg quarters? When my family cooks it it is coated with olive oil and seasonings .Then while cooking we "paint" on some melted butter. ... Yeah need something healthier then this, I still live with my parents and they are very set with this is how it is suppose to be cooked. So i figure next time I will cook it and see if i can get them to like the new change.

Can your parents adopt me? I promise I keep the house clean and do my own laundry :flowerforyou:

In all seriousness, though, in my house we fry chicken in peanut oil, so no ideas. I'm sorry. I'd just recommend eating fewer portions. Use the recipe function to get an accurate calorie count of the chicken, and adjust your portions and what you eat the rest of the day accordingly. Find out how much olive oil they use and how much butter is used so you can do the recipe calculator properly. It's been a godsend for me!
  • Candi_land
    Candi_land Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options

:laugh:

Seriously though, olive oil isn't bad for you. Eating "healthy" doesn't have to be flavorless..why not ask them to just omit the butter from your portion? I'm sure they'd be willing to accommodate you.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options

:laugh:

Seriously though, olive oil isn't bad for you. Eating "healthy" doesn't have to be flavorless..why not ask them to just omit the butter from your portion? I'm sure they'd be willing to accommodate you.

Butter and olive oil are healthy...
  • dancingmuffin
    Options
    Butter and olive oil may be healthy but my family cooks like the stereotype most people think of when they think of good ol'fatty louisiana food. Lol but I am trying to take over more of the cooking to help cut down some of the calories and fat in our meals. My Mother is up for most any thing, Dad on the other hand... well he can be a challenge, of course he doesnt have to do anything to stay skinny! LOL
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Rats, I was hoping for pics of chickens with healthy backs...
  • twoodley
    Options
    Hi all...I agree. Simply pull off the skin...once that's done, light season with salt and pepper, sprinkle a diced onion on top and pour in a cup or 2 of chicken broth...Feel free to add other herbs such as dried basil or thyme...whatever tickles your fancy...Cover with foil and bake at 350 for about 40 minutes...you can uncover and bake for an additional 5 minutes if you want to broil and "color" the chicken a bit. This way you have a lovely sauce for some brown rice...the chicken is very juicy this way. Hope this helps!
  • dancingmuffin
    Options
    Oh dear I just noticed my spelling mistake LOL XD
  • twoodley
    Options
    BBQ sauce is ok, but may be too much sugar if you're watching sugar intake...???
  • Lovey50
    Lovey50 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Just take the skin off, or if you don't trust yourself to do this without stuffing it into your mouth :wink: have Mom do it. You can season as Twoodley says w/S&P and broth(sounds really good!) or put some jarred salsa on top. Even a little low-cal Italian dressing or any other low-cal dressing you like. BBQ sauce isnt too bad --- a random pick of KC Masterpiece Original BBQ sauce is 60 cal/2 TBs, 12 grams sugar (OUCH). But 2 TB is a lot--maybe use 1 TB and 1 TB of a low-cal Italian dressing?