Best app for tracking workouts?

I've just recently starting using my ipod to download apps to help with my workouts and I'm curious about others thoughts on which are the best.

I've used RunKeeper several times in the past but I've had problems with it crashing and not recording half of my workout (I'm currently deleting and reinstalling and hope that fixes the problem). Also I can only use the apps once I get back home and have wifi so any suggestions would have to be capable of GPS tracking even without cell service or wifi at the time.

Other than RunKeeper, which tracking apps do you use, which would you recommend, and why?

Replies

• CarmineDeMarco
    CarmineDeMarco Posts: 39 Member
    I've tried out MapMyRun, Runtastic, Nike+, but stuck with Runkeeper because its range of features in its free version was the best for me. I know a number of people who use MapMyRun.
  • romanaXOX
    romanaXOX Posts: 400 Member
    I'm really enjoying c25K because it's a great motivator, it's free and it keeps you progressing
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,329 Member
    i use jefit for my strength training wokouts
  • endomondo pro for me.

If I had to fault it it would be that it doesn't track food.... It can auto post workout to myfitness pal too (just linked it now)
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    I use Runtastic Pro for running. Sworkit has some good exercises and I also like Fitness Budy.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Other than RunKeeper, which tracking apps do you use, which would you recommend, and why?

I use Runkeeper to track running, cycling, rowing and walking. For a period it was unstable but I haven't had any issues with it for a while. As far as syncing is concerned, just hit "resend to Runkeeper" when you get back on WiFi. I use an old iPhone for it that doesn't currently have a GSM SIM, so have to do that.

I also use Endomondo, started using it as a comparator, but the analytical tools are better than Runkeeper, it's more pro-active.

I use JeFit for resistance tracking, I have used Gain Fitness in the past but it doesn't have an Android version so JeFit works on both my phones and tablet.

I use a sleep tracker as well, which is interesting although I'm not convinced of the utility.

I use a meditation timer to help my meditation, on Android but there are iPhone versions available..

And finally, MFP on Android.
  • I use JeFit for resistance tracking, I have used Gain Fitness in the past but it doesn't have an Android version so JeFit works on both my phones and tablet.

Thanks for this :)

That looks like a very nice site. Lots of routines lists for noobs like me.

I've done 3 months of cardio and all is going well My Gym membership starts at the end of the month. JeFit looks great :)
  • marioalberto1
    marioalberto1 Posts: 142 Member
    Flex for weight ligthing. It's simple and to the point.
  • CarmineDeMarco
    CarmineDeMarco Posts: 39 Member

I use a meditation timer to help my meditation, on Android but there are iPhone versions available..

Would that be Insight Timer? Just curious, that's what I use.
  • MeanderingMammal

Would that be Insight Timer? Just curious, that's what I use.

Zen meditation timer
  • westendcurls
    westendcurls Posts: 252 Member
    Im an app nut! lol. I have Noom because i like the status bar reminder. Endomondo when i need GPS. Gymrat for the weightroom. NTC (nike training club ) when i need a quick but tough workout. Zoomibes Run and Charity Miles for adding a little something to my runs.
  • anyone knows a good app which has tracking feature for rowing and swimming? most of them seem to be fine for running or cycling if you do them outdoors (GPS tracking and the whole lot) but I am yet to find anything that would record my rowing and swimming...I want to log distance and time and would anticipate the app to calculate an av. speed and make the data avialable for download ....thanks for the recommendations
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    depends what you're looking to track.

I use c25k, runtastic, zombies run! for motivation and distance tracking
    i use stronglifts 5x5 and mfp to track weightlifting
  • depends what you're looking to track.

I use c25k, runtastic, zombies run! for motivation and distance tracking
    i use stronglifts 5x5 and mfp to track weightlifting

thanks but I think that is my issue..I would like to see an app that keeps all of these in 1 place..I am sick and tired of updating several apps I might as well write these down in an XLS with 3 or 4 different sheets. :)
  • MeanderingMammal
    anyone knows a good app which has tracking feature for rowing and swimming

Runkeeper allows you to record time during the workout then update distance, HR etc on completion. It also allows you to log after the fact and labels workouts as swimming, rowing etc.

Endomondo allows simultaneous recording but I don't think it allows post exercise logging.
    I may have misunderstood what you're after though.

They both allow tracking of resistance training but they're a bit crude as they're both designed around the physical environment, so CV training.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Fitness Buddy, excellent app. Photos and videos for every exercise, around 10,000+ exercises. A little "clunky" since the update (I just didn't like the changes they made from the previous version), but still pretty damn good.

But if you're talking about running only, MapMyRun is very good.