Super Easy Low-Cal Chicken Soup

Options
FitMomOK
FitMomOK Posts: 66 Member
This soup is perfect on a cold day. I've been making it a lot when I run out of things to make because I have the ingredients in my pantry/freezer. It has an Asian flavor and is sort of a simplified Pho.

- 2 big boxes Swanson's chicken broth
- 1 package boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1-2 star anise (get this in the spice aisle. It may be with Chinese spices.)
- optional - a chunk of peeled ginger if you happen to have some in your fridge (I've made it with and without)

Put everything in a big pot. Simmer for about an hour, until chicken is really tender and you can shred it with a fork. Pick out the anise and ginger (If you can easily find it. If not, just pick it out of your bowl) and discard.
When I serve it, I give myself a bunch of broth, one big chicken breast, and just shred the chicken in my bowl at the table.

It's awesome just like this. Sometimes I add carrots, though that's not traditional for Pho.
Toppings:
If I've been to the store, I like to add:
- bean sprouts
- cilantro
- sliced green onions
- squirt of lime juice
- some people add chilies (not sure if they do flakes or real) but I don't.

I made some today because I had no idea what to eat for lunch. It filled me up on a warm day, gave me protein and a full belly, and was about 200 calories, I'd estimate.
I have leftovers in the fridge and plan to eat on it the next few days. Hope you enjoy! ;)

Replies

• Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Sounds great!

Love the toppings. I use those ingredients a lot... I would also include some radishes to my topping along with your list.

Thanks!
  • phyllisbobbitt
    phyllisbobbitt Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: thanks for the recipe! it sounds delish! i go shopping tuesday & will pick up the ingredients!
  • cmkile1003
    cmkile1003 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting!!!!
  • watch48win
    watch48win Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    Bump for later.