Chobani-Is it REALLY that bad...

Options
13»

Replies

• bluntlysally
    bluntlysally Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    it is my go-to yogurt. specifically the key lime flavor = yummy! (only comes in a 4-pack)

BUT my .02 about yogurt is that do NOT EAT the fat free crap. when they take out the natural stuff they put in more chemicals. your body actually needs the fat!

next time you are in the dairy aisle, take a look at the "kids" yogurt. not a single one will say fat free. hmmmm... if it's not ok for kids to be spoon fed more chemicals and less fat then why is it ok for adults?? it is not! eat the fat!

but really, eat whatever brand gets you eating healthier. :)
  • ltlemermaid
    ltlemermaid Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    I used to eat chobani, but stopped when I stopped eating fat-free/2% yogurt. I also switched when trying to avoid GMOs. I really like Noosa yogurt and all their flavors. I have 1 almost every morning.
  • EreborsPrincess
    Options
    Chobani is too sweet for me. We've been on an Oikos kick for the last month. Mueller is also good - look for the pack with the little malted milk balls in the corner. :tongue:
  • MsMaryMac48
    MsMaryMac48 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I buy it for the 100 calorie cups. I think they are better than the Yoplait ones, and for all I know, Yoplait uses GMO too anyway, so whatever.

I did until I found the Dannon Lite and Fit Greek yogurt for 80 cals a cup. It tastes delicious. AND I was one of those that got a molded Chiobani so I hesitate to buy it now.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I hate the pre-packaged single serving ones- they are stupid expensive- and they big production is the fruit ones. I also don't care for the Chowbani brand.

But I have nothing against greek yogurt- I eat Cabot- I buy the big tub plain and add vanilla protein powder- and then heat fruit and add that in on top.

Best thing ever. plus for 10 bucks I can feed myself yogurt for a week and I get more out of it than single serving containers.
  • Wtn_Gurl
    Wtn_Gurl Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    please explain the "bloated lid" thing.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Personally, I live by the stuff, along with many other people that I know. I eat a container almost every morning for breakfast.

To top all, its delicious.

But I've heard mixed reviews---so how do you feel about it?

It's sounds like it's good, not bad. (Or maybe you are doing to 90s version of the word "bad"?)
  • Platform_Heels
    Platform_Heels Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    please explain the "bloated lid" thing.

There was a batch of Chobani yogurt that was bad as in spoiled.

I used to buy Chobani non fat plain yogurt but now I make my own.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Personally, I live by the stuff, along with many other people that I know. I eat a container almost every morning for breakfast.

Personally, I think it tastes pretty horrible. I like other Greek yogurts, though.
  • aliencheesecake
    aliencheesecake Posts: 570 Member
    Options

I'm kinda picky about greek yogurt. I actually really like Yoplait 2x protein (they used to call it greek, but they dropped that part, so I don't know what that's about.)
  • Erin_goBrahScience
    Erin_goBrahScience Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options

it tastes like sour cream :sick:

I prefer either Fage or Straus
  • Kitship
    Kitship Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Personally I don't like the taste. I like Voskos and a lot of people hate it, so....

LOVE Voskos Coconut Cream. I feel like I'm eating a coconut cream pie!
  • aliencheesecake
    aliencheesecake Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of it, along with Fage. What the heck is the problem with it?

Apparently, its not deemed "healthy" with its ingredients and that the company hasn't passed inspection. Also, the bloating lid thing made them look bad. Personally, I think its all bs from other companies...

Chobani is a healthy snack and much better for you than most other commercial "yogurts" if you can even call them that. They have a lot of protein and all natural ingredients... how is this a bad thing?? Sure there is sugar, but I can think of a lot worse things to eat for breakfast or a snack.

As for the bloating lid thing... not sure I heard about that, but I did buy a case of Chobani from Costco and the lids were bulgy and the fruit at the bottom tasted fermented. I took it back and they said it was probably being stored at the wrong temperature: Costco's issue, not Chobani.

edited for spelling errors! :)

I avoid anything with a bloating lid, as I always associate it with botulism. lol
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Personally I like the stuff and I'd much rather put that into my bady than the aspartame in the light and fit stuff. I also like Oikos. I don't like Fage. So..... we were all created differently; to each his/her own.
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    body so I can't spell
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    I love non fat plain Chobani and consider it far more versatile than the other Greek yogurts. I'm not a big fan of their flavoured ones, however.

I do like the others I've tried, but not nearly so much.
  • morf13
    morf13 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I love the Chobani Coco Loco, I eat it along with a banana every day. It's 230 calories, and I try to burn 230 calories every day when I workout,so it's a freebie.

A guy I work with we call anorexic because he ways maybe about 130, and he literally eats a yogurt for lunch & breakfast and a cheesestick for a snack. The last week,I have been trying the same thing, yougurt for breakfast, cottage cheese for lunch with celery,and then the bulk of my calories for dinner. Surprisingly, I have not been hungry, and I have lost 15 pounds in 3 weeks,so i am going to stick with the same process. I certainly don't want to get to 130 pounds, but I do think that eating these very light meals works, at least so far.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    I have mixed feelings about GMO, so I can't come down pro or con on the issue. Here's an interesting recent article from The Economist about how maybe the opposition to GMO is a bit of a blind "first world problem" : http://www.economist.com/news/leaders/21591176-greens-say-climate-change-deniers-are-unscientific-and-dangerous-so-are-greens-who-oppose-gm

Either way, Chobani makes a good tasty, affordable product, and I don't buy it at Whole Foods anyway! Though I will say that I like Fage better, but the fruity blended varieties are much harder to find (and more expensive).

It's definitely a first world problem and the green groups attacking GMOs with unscientific nonsense will cause the continued starvation of millions if they win. It's similar to what they did with DDT and malaria. Political agendas and science rarely mix well.

Ok, I agree that the GMO hype is silly, but DDT is nasty stuff..... Did environmental activists take their arguments 10 steps too far and to the realm of completely unscientific, sure, they always do, but comparing DDT to GMO issues is going a bit far in the other direction.

LOL Zombie thread, NM.
  • christa279
    christa279 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    My hubby likes it. I didn't know about the GMO thing, but I have mixed feelings on that anyway.

I, personally, have yet to find a Greek yogurt that I like. So far all the ones I have tried taste to sour to me. I also dislike plain yogurt. Is it something you eventually get used to? Is there a brand that is less sour than others?
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I know of some trainers who don't want people to do Chobani because of being high in carbs/sugar.

I'm a fan because I prefer fruit on the bottom and there are a lot of brands/varieties I can't have because of a sensitivity to artificial sweeteners (migraines). Apple Cinnamon is my favorite Chobani.

I tried Tillamook greek yogurt and hated it.

I was tempted by Noosa, but then I saw the higher sugar grams and backed away slowly. (I realize serving sizes are different, but I would eat the whole container in both cases.)