Is it fat gained or…?

Options
Recently I've upped my maintenance cal intake as one of the MFP member had suggested and I gained a kg I'm not sure if it's fat or otherwise because I upped my cal a few days after bingeing at the buffet and eating 1250cal for a few days before upping the cal. How can I differentiate if it's fat or otherwise?

Should I lower my cal back to where I was before upping?? Because I have just read that girls around my height and who weights more than me is eating at lower cal... Am I eating too much?

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,123 Member
    Options
    Beyond spending the money for DEXA scan, you cannot tell where weight gain comes from. 1Kg or 2.2Lbs is likely mainly water weight, and is well within the normal weight variations for a body from day to day. If the weight gain continues, your maintenance is lower than the calories you are eating.
  • Wingg_
    Wingg_ Posts: 395 Member
    Options

Thanks for providing me with the info!
  • Wingg_
    Wingg_ Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Beyond spending the money for DEXA scan, you cannot tell where weight gain comes from. 1Kg or 2.2Lbs is likely mainly water weight, and is well within the normal weight variations for a body from day to day. If the weight gain continues, your maintenance is lower than the calories you are eating.

So should I eat the same cal for a longer period of time or lower it...?
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,123 Member
    Options
    An initial gain is not that unusual when going from a deficit to maintenance or even when raising calories while still in a deficit. It is more often than not water weight. Assuming you are measuring very carefully, and making sure the database entries are accurate, You could leave it that same for a week and see what happens, probably the better option, or drop them 100 and see what happens. It is up to you.