multivitamins - which to take

Options
I've been hearing that regular one-a-day multivitamins are no good (because they are not absorbed). Are there worthwhile multivitamin out there?

I saw green powder at the store with honey, tea, garlic, etc... Is that a good alternative?

Replies

• just_Jennie1
    Options
    I've been hearing that regular one-a-day multivitamins are no good (because they are not absorbed). Are there worthwhile multivitamin out there?

I saw green powder at the store with honey, tea, garlic, etc... Is that a good alternative?

Those are crap vitamins with fillers that tend to be hard on peoples stomachs. I used to take them and would always feel sick after wards regardless of whether or not I ate. I looked at the ingredients and there were so many "things" in them that I realized they're NOT good.

In all honesty go to a health food store and get a good multivitamin there. The only "ingredients" in them should be whatever they use for the casing.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    You'll hear lots of pros and cons for taking multi-vitamins, or any other supplements for that matter. I take a multi-vitamin for the over-50 crowd which adds some additional iron and calcium, and if I take it in the morning it upsets my stomach so I take it at night.

Whatever you decide to do, make sure that your supplement is USP verified to make sure that what the label says is actually in the pill. http://www.usp.org/usp-verification-services/usp-verified-dietary-supplements
  • calx77
    calx77 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I would have normally just ignored your comment about making your stomach upset since it never happens to me, until literally ten minutes ago I took a cheap multi-vitamin and five mins later my stomach is hurting and I have to rush outside to throw up. Never happened before with these cheap vitamins though. Weird.