Help with eating healthy while bulking?

Options
So I'm on bulk til March well I'm on a dirty bulk I've been pretty much eating pure junk and my Dad is worried he knows I need to gain weight and so far I've gone from 93lbs to 110lbs in a month of dirty bulking and yes I'm trying to gain fat. Due to my heart and kidney issues I can't take supplements but here my problem my Dad thinks I'm putting my health at risk eating all this junk but it working because I'm gaining weight.

He also said I would have so much fat if I kept going on this that it would take forever to cut off? He wants me working out but he does not want me putting my health at risk with eating all this junk.

He said I don't mind if you add a little junk food in there in case you can't get to your calorie rang but you will hurt your kidney in heart eating all this.

So I can't take supplements how do I gain weight especially fat on a healthy diet? Especially on a bulk?

That all I want to know how to gain on a healthy diet when wanting to gain some fat?

I'm 5 ft 2 110lbs want to get to 140lbs then cut. I'm. 20 year old male

Excuse my spelling I have a small learning disability.

My workout routine is lifting 6 days a week with no cardio until March.

Please could use some advice?

It hard to get all my calories in eating healthy food

And no he's not forcing me to workout I started working out in the summer of 2012 to get in better shape didn't start lifting until August this year.

Replies

• jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you should consult with your doctor, if you have dietary concerns related to your heart and kidneys.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you should consult with your doctor, if you have dietary concerns related to your heart and kidneys.

agreed.

generally speaking though, as long as you hit your protein target, it doesnt matter if you have some 'junk' in your diet as long as you're also having some fruit and veg as well... for example, throw a banana on your ice cream, side salad with your burger, avocado with your bacon, apple with your peanut butter etc etc!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Why are you trying to gain fat? If you're doing a bulk, then cutting, all you're going to have is more fat to lose...which is likely to mean more muscle lost if you're cut is overly restrictive, or you take longer to do it. You want to be putting on muscle!, trying to not get too fat will be the best way to go.

But, calorie dense healthier foods are fats - nuts/butters, avo, olive oils, coconut oils, fattier meats and oily fish, whole eggs

Add these to your meals along with protein and vegies, then include your treats if you want them - you'll make your dad happy but still get to eat the food you want :)
  • isaiahcool
    Options
    do yer research! you don't need to shove junk down your throat to bulk up. sometimes I'll do a quick fast food lunch for some fast calories, but don't eat like a complete *kitten*.

1. HIT YOUR MACROS - this is probably more important than hitting your calories, although if you're hitting your macros then you should be right around your cal intake, anyway. CALCULATE THEM YOURSELF. mfp will most likely be wrong on your macros, especially if you're working out with some sort of bodybuilding routine and intend on building muscle, you need to optimize your macros for proper recovery. for example, mfp pegs me at 2700 cals a day, 90g fat, 330g carbs, and 90g protein for a "bulk"....when I calculate these according to my actual goals I fall around 3000cals/70-100g fat/500g carbs/140g protein. As you can see it's quite off due to my workout regimen and daily activity...if I would of followed mfp's plan, I'd actually be on a bit of cut instead of a bulk, and most importantly missing out on nearly 200g of carbs - that sucks!

this is a very useful thread over on BB.com about calculating your cals and macros: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981

2. CARB IT UP - most of your calories can come from complex carbs. super good for you, and super tasty as well! things like nuts and grains are great, but complex carbs are found in bananas, broccoli, onions, apples, the list goes on. Complex carbs make great inbetween meals. they also give you all the energy you need to keep up with your workouts.

3. SPLIT UP YOUR MEALS, SNACK - you don't have to shove food down your throat to bulk. I eat a large meal every 2-4 hours (i.e. breakfast, lunch, dinner) but I'll have a snack in between each meal. My large meals only make up probably 60-70% of my total cals, the other comes from snacks. Usually something high in complex carbs, as protein isn't necessary in my snacks since I get all the pro I need from my main meals. Fruit, granola, clif bars, whole grain cereal, once again research complex carbs and eat your favorites more often.

4. GET READY FOR MEAT - my favorite part of bulking. obviously your chicken breast, tilapia, and salmon all should be making an appearance but don't be afraid to get some red meat in there. research the fat content in different cuts of meat and make a decision off that. I usually opt for top round, it's CHEAP AS HELL, and has the least amount of fat out of most cuts, with a very high protein content. It's not the most tender cut, but with a nice marinade, it's really good - and is great in fajitas, burritos, salads, etc.
  • Caporegiem
    Caporegiem Posts: 4,297 Member
    Options
    4. GET READY FOR MEAT - my favorite part of bulking. obviously your chicken breast, tilapia, and salmon all should be making an appearance but don't be afraid to get some red meat in there. research the fat content in different cuts of meat and make a decision off that. I usually opt for top round, it's CHEAP AS HELL, and has the least amount of fat out of most cuts, with a very high protein content. It's not the most tender cut, but with a nice marinade, it's really good - and is great in fajitas, burritos, salads, etc.

This, red meat is delicious and can really help you add some calories (and fats).
  • stt43
    stt43 Posts: 487
    Options
    Why can't you take supplements because of your heart and kidney issues?
    Just eating junk won't be great for your heard and kidneys.
    Why are you trying to gain fat? Are you not trying to gain muscle too?
    The more fat you put on the harder it will be, and the longer it will take, to lose it later on.
    You gain weight from eating calories. These calories can come from junk, but it doesn't have to all be junk.
    Try to get 10+ portions of different fruit and vegetables, and plenty of fibre.
    Fat is high in calories, but you can get fat from 'healthier', non-'junk' sources.
    Eat wholefoods.
    Eat plenty of carbs.
    Add things such as sauces to your food to increase the calories.
    I would do at least 20mins of cardio three times a week too if I were you. You don't just want to get fat and unfit, and it will benefit your heart.
    You don't need to just eat 'healthy' food, or just eat 'junk' food. Eat as much 'healthy' stuff as you can, and then add in whatever 'junk' you want to add the calories.
  • lrmall01
    lrmall01 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I'm 5 ft 2 110lbs want to get to 140lbs then cut. I'm. 20 year old male

Then you should be doing something like eating 2000 calories per day - 67g fat, 230g carb, 140g protein. It can be junk if you want, just hit those numbers. Eating more will just end up being extra fat.

Your diary isn't open, so I have no idea if this is close to what you are doing but it is a decent starting point. Do this for a few weeks and see if you are gaining between 1 - 2 lbs per week. If you aren't, add 200 more calories from fat and/or carbs and re-evaluate after a few more weeks. Feel free to friend me if you want to keep in touch and have more questions.

Good luck.