Should I be dropping weight faster?

Options
Greetings,

I was wondering if anyone had any insight into this issue...

For the last month or so, I have maintained a daily caloric deficit of 1,000 to aim for a 2lb/week loss, plus I have been exercising for an hour each day to burn between 600+ (cardio only days) and 450 (strength+cardio days) calories. I have not been eating my exercised calories in an effort to give my weight loss a little boost, which basic math dictates should bring me to around 3lb/week weight loss. I eat "clean" (no processed foods, low fat, moderate complex carbs, higher lean proteins).

I weigh myself at the same time and under the same conditions each time (first thing in the morning after I use the restroom and before I shower). My weight is dropping, but not at a rate of 3lb/week. I have lost less than 2lb in the last week.

Has anyone else experienced this type of issue? I would like to chock it up to gaining muscle at the same time as losing fat, but from what I understand, one can only gain about 1.5lb of muscle in a month (if they are working their tails off), so I wouldn't think this is the issue.

Any insight?

Replies

• nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    :huh:
    Change your expectations.
  • professormudd1
    Options

My only expectation is for the math to make sense.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options

You have an aggressive goal.
    How do you account for overestimation in calories burned?
    There is no "boost" for weight loss.
    Even with logging accurately and weighing foods, there is still going to be a margin of error.
    The types of foods you eat have nothing to do with weight loss (a calorie deficit is all that is needed).
    Water weight has to be taken into account. It is natural and happens to everybody.
    You are not gaining muscle in a deficit.

Set reasonable goals.
    Be patient.
  • JuliRamone
    JuliRamone Posts: 365 Member
    Options

Your body doesn't do math the way you want it to do... There's water weight you could have gained and tons of other things. If you drop weight, you're going in the right direction.
    Set realistic goals and keep achieving them :)
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Its different for everyone I guess. It took me a year to lose almost 50 pounds. I am ok with that. I am in my 30's and have hypothyriodism so the weight is slower to come off. Every time I have lost weight really quick, it comes back on even quicker. I am sick of the fast weightloss roller coaster. If I lose it slower I know it will stay off longer.
  • Transformer711
    Options
    Sometimes, eating less may actually slow weight loss. Our bodies are far more complex than we give credit for. It's often believed that if we eat less, we'll lose weight when it doesn't always work that way. If you choose not to eat back your calories, make sure you net at least 1200 a day. A pound of fat may not sound like a lot, but if you see what it looks that's awesome progress. With weight loss, it's best to just be patient. The weight will come off eventually. Just keep doing what you're doing.
  • Paula038
    Paula038 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    It doesn't work like that - eat exactly 3500 cals less and lose exactly a pound. See this thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1094717-3500-cals-per-pound-is-wrong-but-it-s-good-enough

"At the end of the day 3500 might be 2600 or 4000. The burn you consider 400 might be 350 or 450. But it doesn't matter as long as we work with a general net deficit, observe and adjust. Adherence to logging as accurately as possible helps to offset if not reduce some of the inherent variability in these estimates."

If you are really logging accurately and maintaining a 1600 calorie deficit, you're not doing your body any favours. You can have higher deficits if you are obese, but if not, a lower calorie deficit is more sustainable. And you don't have to eat only clean, unless you particularly like to. For many of us, eating clean is not sustainable either. Yesterday I had cookies, a glass of wine, half a slice of dessert, and I am still down a pound this morning.
  • professormudd1
    Options
    It doesn't work like that - eat exactly 3500 cals less and lose exactly a pound. See this thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1094717-3500-cals-per-pound-is-wrong-but-it-s-good-enough

"At the end of the day 3500 might be 2600 or 4000. The burn you consider 400 might be 350 or 450. But it doesn't matter as long as we work with a general net deficit, observe and adjust. Adherence to logging as accurately as possible helps to offset if not reduce some of the inherent variability in these estimates."

Thanks for that information
    If you are really logging accurately and maintaining a 1600 calorie deficit, you're not doing your body any favours. You can have higher deficits if you are obese, but if not, a lower calorie deficit is more sustainable. And you don't have to eat only clean, unless you particularly like to. For many of us, eating clean is not sustainable either. Yesterday I had cookies, a glass of wine, half a slice of dessert, and I am still down a pound this morning.

I only plan(ned) to follow this calorie deficit for about 8 weeks before I begin to bring it back up to maintenance. By diving in as deep as I have, my intention was to change my habits and acclimate to less food. And there are several reasons I eat "clean" (supposed metabolic and endocrine advantages), but for the most part it tends to allow a greater volume of foods and allows me to feel more satiated. Also, I needed to break the habit of eating so much freezer junk food.

Anyway, thank you for the responses... I suppose some progress is better than no progress.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Yeah, you can't turn the crank on your body and expect it to follow through like a machine. You have to stick with it patiently for the long term to see results. Any errors will likely smooth themselves out over time that way, but for sure your scope is set too narrowly right now. Think months, not weeks.
  • professormudd1
    Options
    I guess I shouldn't be trying to treat my analog body like a digital device.
  • _runbitchrun
    _runbitchrun Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Slow and steady wins the race. Have patience. It took me 6 months to lose 5lbs, but thats because i was gaining muscle, and i FELT better about myself. Doing this to yourself is torture. Love yourself.
    Do it to get healthy and better yourself, not just to get skinny fast, you will just gain in right back anyways.