Replies

• dgm82
    dgm82 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    My clothes stopped fitting.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    I started 5.5 years ago when I was diagnosed with diabetes and high blood pressure. We were trying to start a family and I had an incident where I thought I had miscarried. Saw a doctor for the first time in 10 years...scared her. She thought I was going to have a stroke right there in the office. After 9 months of meds and diet changes and exercise, managed to lose 50lbs. Kept it off for 2 years and had put off the babymaking for that time. Started in earnest with the baby making again 3 years ago, but when it didn't happen after 6 months, then a year, then 18 months...got real down. Nothing made me happy, and having a terrible person for a supervisor at work didn't help. I couldn't stand to be around anyone who was pregnant, or to hold anyone's baby for a long time. Just couldn't handle it. Hated being asked why at 35 I didn't have kids (I kept my struggle mostly to myself and my husband). Put 38 of the 50lbs I had previously lost back on.

Finally found an ob/gyn I am comfortable with, and told her frankly that I wanted help. I didn't want invitro, but wanted to try something that would make a potential difference. I've had 3 friends find success taking Clomid, so I'm currently working on losing 25-30lbs (the dr's suggestion for the medication to be more effective). I'm halfway to my goal, and my next appointment is February 6th.
  • Fuax75
    Fuax75 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    A mirror and an infomercial!!!!!!
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    I want to age well. Both my parents are overweight and both have health problems. Neither one can walk any distance without getting winded. I don't want to be like that.
  • alienaliens
    alienaliens Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    The last weigh-in from 127 to 208.
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Weighing 337, on various medicines for weight related issues, and walking around with 46ddd breast, that pulled me down.
  • livingfortheone
    livingfortheone Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Relationship issues that I wanted to have be different, when it dawned on me that the only thing I can change is me.
    So I decided that in order to effect change, I had to be the one to change.
  • johnthomasmoore
    johnthomasmoore Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Went to my primary care doc to get a note that would allow me to wear crocs at work. New dress code banned them. Blood pressure was up and he advised me, for the nth time, to lose weight. I've done really well. MFP has been one of my best tools. I'm a geeky nerd and am really into tracking weight, diet, exercise, body fat, sleep and blood pressure. Self monitoring is key. My blog summarizes the hardware and software I'm using: http://johntmoore.blogspot.com/

Would love some new friends, especially if you're serious about tracking! :wink:
  • 1320GO
    1320GO Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Major health crisis - Ended up with kidney and bladder failure - 33 days in the hospital. 70% of kidney funtion gone & I cannot afford for them to take any more hits like diabetes or high blood pressure. Started logging while in the hospital and it has become 2nd nature. 35lbs down so far and another 60 to go. TDEE less 15% and I am dropping 1-2lbs a week.

Any guys out there 50+ - If you are getting up to pee 2x a night see a urologist. Do not wait. The consequences of ignoring your body can be life threatening.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Started 1 year ago when I spent last Christmas in the hospital with heart and lung issues, was my 4th long stay of they year. And thankfully a nurse in ICU told me point blank you can fix most of this, you're too young to be having these issues, you need to drop a lot of weight and that would help more than any medical treatment you can get.

First reaction was anger at the nurse then I spent the night thinking about what she said, and she was right. It's been an interesting year but one filled of many transformations and changes. I'm looking forward to seeing what 2014 has in store. And I did send the nurse flowers a few months later, if it wasn't for her I'm not sure where I would be.
  • texerus
    texerus Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    High blood pressure with hypertension, not meeting Army standards, threat of being kicked out of the National Guard, promotion possibilities, remedial physical fitness as 5:00 am, and not being fit. Now I’m 5’11’’ and 170 and could not be happier because I hold myself accountable. I give most credit to MFP.

By the way I am gorging myself with food today!
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    High blood pressure with hypertension, not meeting Army standards, threat of being kicked out of the National Guard, promotion possibilities, remedial physical fitness as 5:00 am, and not being fit. Now I’m 5’11’’ and 170 and could not be happier because I hold myself accountable. I give most credit to MFP.

By the way I am gorging myself with food today!

Great job! I'm with you on the gorging today! :)
  • dpeinsip
    Options
    Hating what I saw in the mirror and feeling embarrassed to go out in public. Wanting my husband to have a wife he could be proud of. Wanting to walk up the two flights of stairs to work without being winded. Wanting to see my children graduate from college, get married, and have their own children. Many, many things prompted the change.
  • donnamwestbrook
    Options
    The rest of my life
  • BeyMe
    BeyMe Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Before I got pregnant I was a nice size. I had always been tall and skinny (5'9). I honestly thought I would go back to normal but I was wrong. I gained 62 pounds while pregnant. I never knew how much I was eating during and before pregnancy affected me. All though I wasn't over weight I still hasn't healthy. I decided to lose weight a year ago and was successful. I lost 25 pounds. I was about 197. My weight before I started was at a least 220+. I don't know what happen but I started slacking off and stopped all together. Now I'm 210-212. I decided to work out again when I saw my aunt. She lost so much and she looked great. She made a comment about my weight and I had to agree. Adding height and weight in I look really big. I decided it was time for a change, I'm young and I have a life to live. I want to look and feel good and I want to be happy about my body.
  • brandialana
    Options
    I started losing weight because I wanted to join the military
  • Ejourneys
    Ejourneys Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    I was at the upper end of my yo-yo range (again) and tired. I didn't like the way I felt and knew I had to work to get back down. Took 15 months to reach my goal. This time around I set the bar low at a half-pound loss per week and focused on sustainable eating and exercise. My main challenge is to ditch my "lifetime yo-yo" ways, through sustainable practices and better stress management.

For more details on my methods, I posted this:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1095703-mfp-1-year-anniversary
    Here's a follow-up:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1153938-next-stop-maintenance
  • ecottencat
    ecottencat Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    What is the couch to 5k running program?

The couch to 5k program is one that gets you up to running a 5k. I used this one as well as an 8 week program my gym offered to start running (more like jogging) a 5k. Extremely helpful if you like going by time instead of distance.
  • ecottencat
    ecottencat Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to lose weight for years. I'll lose some and then something happens in my life. The latest has been being with an emotionally abusive boyfriend., that will cause me to gain. So since I've gotten rid of said bf I'm back to wanting to be healthy. My first biggest weight loss was 5 years or so ago when I quit drinking soda. Its a let down when you go to a store find a cute shirt to onnly realize that because you have too much fat you can't wear it. The self-esteem goes down a little till I realize thats fine I'm happy with the way I currently look and I can improve on that by losing weight. The other issue is I really don't have anyone that understands this battle to help support me and keep me accountable. so eventually I'll give up and go back to eating wrong and not really exercising. So hopefully I can find some more firends on here to keep me going and I can get this done!