How Do I Lose My Last 10lbs

Options
Hey, The girl in my profile pic is not me nor is her body a goal of mine. My goal is to lose 10lbs and to have the look of "my body" 10lbs lighter. Catch my drift? I want to give myself 4 months to lose 10lbs. Im starting at 150lbs and want to get to my prepreg weight of 140lbs. So that's 2.5lbs lost per month and YES i will take more weight lost per month if my body wants to do that!!!lol. I am 5'9" and i plan to eat 1500cals per day and do cardio and weights three times a week. Both cardio and weights on the same days. Weights will be heavy not light.

Is this the way I should kill my last 10lbs of fat?

Replies

• ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Sounds alright, but working out that much you could probably get away with 1800 or so cals. Generally advised to start higher so you have more room to maneuver later on if need be.

Good luck :)
  • BetesBitch
    BetesBitch Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Sounds alright, but working out that much you could probably get away with 1800 or so cals. Generally advised to start higher so you have more room to maneuver later on if need be.

Cool! 1800! Thanks for the luck :)
  • BetesBitch
    Options

And REALLY? working out 3 times a week is alot? I thought working out 6 times a week was alot.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

And REALLY? working out 3 times a week is alot? I thought working out 6 times a week was alot.
    I thought you meant 6 cos I do weight seperate to cardio (well, when I rarely do cardio :P)

If you don't see a change after a couple of weeks, drop the calories by 200 or so.
  • wildheart21
    wildheart21 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    1500 calories a day sounds pretty low if you are going to be lifting heavy and doing cardio. If you want you can try it for a while but if you find it hard to sustain and/or you find yourself binging or craving carbs really bad, I would increase the calories to 1700-1800, at least. Some women can go up to 2000 or more and lose weight depending on how hard you are working in the gym. Your body and it's needs change from day to day, week to week and year to year depending on lots of factors. As long as you are getting good nutrition, protein and veggies with every meal and you are limiting processed foods, pay more attention to your hunger signals than to an exact calorie count. I'm using this site as mostly a food journal and to keep me honest and more mindful of what I am eating but I won't be following the calorie recommendations this site provides. Some days I may eat more and some days I may eat less depending on what my body is telling me. Learning to trust your body is a key component to lasting weight loss. I am also using my journal as an investigative tool to see what's working for me and what's not and to look for areas where I can improve. Good luck. Sounds like you are giving yourself plenty of time to get the weight off and lifting heavy is the way to go in my opinion :)
  • wildheart21
    wildheart21 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Oh, just saw that you will be working out 3 days a week. I was thinking 6 days. Do what the guy above said. It's good advise. Start with a higher count and adjust lower if you don't see changes. Are you doing cardio and weights on the same days? I'm not an expert but from everything I read, doing weights 3 x a week and doing intervals training for 10-15 min, 2x a week is a really good plan for weight loss. But different people like different things so you got to do what works for you.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    what is your current exercise routine? please be as detailed as possible.

btw, i'm probably going to tell you that your strength training should center around compound barbell lifts, which are squats, dead lifts, overhead press, and bench press. your cardio should follow the "less is more" motto. a few HIIT session a week, with one longer Low Intensity Steady State cardio day a week.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    If you really are on what you would consider your last 10 pounds, especially at 5'9" and 150, I would say you should just throw weight out the window and start concentrating on dropping your body fat %. In all honesty, there is a real possibility that you will see weight going ON over the next month or two, especially if you are just starting lifting heavy. This does NOT mean you are gaining fat. I would put the scale away, take measurements once a week (neck, arms, chest, waist, hips, thighs), take full body pictures for comparison once a month, and get a pair of body fat calipers and learn how to use them.
  • BetesBitch
    Options
    Just exercising 3 times a week. It's winter too so i will be skating, skiing and sledding. Those will count as some of my cardio workouts. Or sometimes I play badminton at the school and sometimes i will use my elliptical. The interval training will only happen on the elliptical. Skating too if i don't have to push the baby in the stroller.
  • BetesBitch
    Options
    If you really are on what you would consider your last 10 pounds, especially at 5'9" and 150, I would say you should just throw weight out the window and start concentrating on dropping your body fat %. In all honesty, there is a real possibility that you will see weight going ON over the next month or two, especially if you are just starting lifting heavy. This does NOT mean you are gaining fat. I would put the scale away, take measurements once a week (neck, arms, chest, waist, hips, thighs), take full body pictures for comparison once a month, and get a pair of body fat calipers and learn how to use them.

No thanks. Goal is to lose 10lbs and that's it.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    what kind of lifting are you going to be doing..compounds?
  • BetesBitch
    Options

I just did my first workout a while ago. (I did StrongLifts 5X5 a year ago) This is what i did today:

Front Squats 60lbs 3X10
    BenchPress on machine 40lbs 3X10
    BackRows 60lbs 1X10

On Tuesday i will do this:
    Front Squats 65lbs 3X10
    OHP 40lbs 3X10
    Deads 120lbs 1X10
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options

I just did my first workout a while ago. (I did StrongLifts 5X5 a year ago) This is what i did today:

Front Squats 60lbs 3X10
    BackRows 60lbs 1X10

Front Squats 65lbs 3X10
    OHP 40lbs 3X10
    Deads 120lbs 1X10

nice. not bad.

as long as you are following a progressive overload strength training program, you'll definetly be losing body fat and losing weight.
  • BetesBitch
    Options

Front Squats 60lbs 3X10
    BackRows 60lbs 1X10

Front Squats 65lbs 3X10
    OHP 40lbs 3X10
    Deads 120lbs 1X10

nice. not bad.

as long as you are following a progressive overload strength training program, you'll definetly be losing body fat and losing weight.

Dont forget! AND eating at a deficit!
  • BetesBitch
    Options
    1500 calories a day sounds pretty low if you are going to be lifting heavy and doing cardio. If you want you can try it for a while but if you find it hard to sustain and/or you find yourself binging or craving carbs really bad, I would increase the calories to 1700-1800, at least. Some women can go up to 2000 or more and lose weight depending on how hard you are working in the gym. Your body and it's needs change from day to day, week to week and year to year depending on lots of factors. As long as you are getting good nutrition, protein and veggies with every meal and you are limiting processed foods, pay more attention to your hunger signals than to an exact calorie count. I'm using this site as mostly a food journal and to keep me honest and more mindful of what I am eating but I won't be following the calorie recommendations this site provides. Some days I may eat more and some days I may eat less depending on what my body is telling me. Learning to trust your body is a key component to lasting weight loss. I am also using my journal as an investigative tool to see what's working for me and what's not and to look for areas where I can improve. Good luck. Sounds like you are giving yourself plenty of time to get the weight off and lifting heavy is the way to go in my opinion :)
    Ya and I wasn't planning on logging food either. I've calorie counted before. I know what im doing BUT i will measure and weigh everything to make sure im getting the correct serving amount. I won't know exactly how many calories im consuming but i will know that im in some sort of a deficit just by weighing and measuring, my education on nutrition and my cardio.
  • BetesBitch
    Options

Front Squats 60lbs 3X10
    BackRows 60lbs 1X10

Front Squats 65lbs 3X10
    OHP 40lbs 3X10
    Deads 120lbs 1X10

When i did StrongLifts before in the 12 weeks, I got up to 105lb squats, 60lb OHP, 70lb Back rows, 165lbs deads, 60lb presses on machine. I need a bench!!! So I believe those are good weights for me to start at this time. Work out was easy/medium this time. Upping the weights on Tuesday and so forth.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options

Front Squats 60lbs 3X10
    BackRows 60lbs 1X10

Front Squats 65lbs 3X10
    OHP 40lbs 3X10
    Deads 120lbs 1X10

nice. not bad.

don't eat too much at a deficit though. looking at your stats, i think that you're pretty tall, and if you lower your body fat, you'll probably achieve the body you want, regardless of weight.

this is staci. on the left, she is 131 lbs. on the right, she's actually 142, eleven pounds heavier.

Screen-Shot-2011-07-21-at-92311-AM-1.jpg

read her story: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Front Squats 60lbs 3X10
    BackRows 60lbs 1X10

Front Squats 65lbs 3X10
    OHP 40lbs 3X10
    Deads 120lbs 1X10

not bad…instead of bench press machine..i would go with regular barbell bench press…also, no back squats??? Pull ups and chin up are also good to add in too...
  • BetesBitch
    Options

Front Squats 60lbs 3X10
    BackRows 60lbs 1X10

Front Squats 65lbs 3X10
    OHP 40lbs 3X10
    Deads 120lbs 1X10

nice. not bad.

don't eat too much at a deficit though. looking at your stats, i think that you're pretty tall, and if you lower your body fat, you'll probably achieve the body you want, regardless of weight.

this is staci. on the left, she is 131 lbs. on the right, she's actually 142, eleven pounds heavier.

Screen-Shot-2011-07-21-at-92311-AM-1.jpg

read her story: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

Great story but not for me to do. She started out very skinny - im not skinny by any means. I don't have the equipment, time or money to be able to go to a gym and work my way up to deadlifting 315lbs. PLUS she looks awesome at 130lbs! She even looked good at 117lbs. With my life, my work out schedule needs to happen at home or to be able to include the baby in it without spending money. I've only got so much stuff in my basement gym. I will say it again, goal is just to lose 10lbs.
  • BetesBitch
    Options

Front Squats 60lbs 3X10
    BackRows 60lbs 1X10

Front Squats 65lbs 3X10
    OHP 40lbs 3X10
    Deads 120lbs 1X10

not bad…instead of bench press machine..i would go with regular barbell bench press…also, no back squats??? Pull ups and chin up are also good to add in too...

Back squats irritate my shoulders and neck. My gym is in my basement - there's nothing to do pull ups or chin ups on.