New Me COMING SOON

Options
In October of 2013, I had to take a looonnnng honest look at myself. I realized I had to because I started feeling things that I didn't want to feel. Depressed, tired, lazy, achy, bored, unfulfilled, resentful, angry, unhealthy, and just plain unhappy. I had already known that I needed to make changes after a trip to my 10 year high school reunion in July. I knew I needed to make some changes in my relationship with my fiance (which I thought all the changes had to do with HIM), get back to the thing I loved (music), and get back to being happy. However, I didn't have a clear vision how to do that. So from July to October I made some changes. I told my fiance there were three things I needed from him. Security, for him to take a more active role in our household, and romance. I started coming up with an idea for my poetry/music and got to writing and getting music together. Finally, I drew a line in the sand with my family of 4 of what I wouldn't tolerate. Now that helped, but it wasn't what needed to be done. I didn't take an honest look at myself and assumed the problem was with everyone else.

In October, I was watching Joyce Meyer and she preached a sermon about creating new habits. I knew I wanted to do what she was talking about because I wanted to be a better person. Healthier, a better christian, and better me. So I got her book Making Good Habits, Breaking Bad Habits. BOY! Did that book have me feeling guilty. I realized that alot of my issues had to do with me being selfish, overbearing, hard to get along with, and not paying attention to my health. So I got started. I made a monthly goal list of good habits I wanted to create. Thinking positive, exercising, forgiving and letting go, volunteering more, being more loving, praying more, etc. Already, things have changed for the better! I have not fought with my fiance in weeks.. or months for that matter, my family seems to be able to not have to walk on egg shells around me as much, and I feel alot of the anger I was once feeling slowly melt away.

As I said before, exercise was a big habit I wanted to create. So I started small. October I started going for walks. I had no particular walking goal in mind. Just walk until I didn't feel like walking anymore lol. I also drank water only at work, and other beverages only at home. This was a big step for me because those that know me well know that I NEVER drink water. Once I started realizing I liked to walk... I got a pedometer app by runtastic on my phone and realized that my walks totaled 1 mile! That shocked me. I'm not a runner and I have exercise induced asthma so I never walk either, but to know that I walked a full mile! WOW! So it made me want to do it all the time. Every three days at least. It was awesome. I realized that these walks put me in better moods. Soon I made a new goal. Add exercise to my walking. A workout routine. Then I had a problem. What workout do I do? I'm a beginner.

Enter myfitnesspal.com. I found the site while looking at comments about Shaun T's T25 dvd. I was trying to find the perfect workout dvd for me to start out with. Fitness Pal seemed like a cool website community to join, so I did. Iposted in the forums for the first time, asking what is the best dvd for beginners. I got plenty of answers which left me even more confused about what to get lol. Then to make matters worse, it was getting cold outside so my walks started getting few and far in between. I didn't have any workout clothes, let alone WARM workout clothes. I certainly wasn't going to go walking in my huge leather coat! So I signed up at work for the walkstation. Basically is a desk with a treadmill attached so you and walk and work at the same time. The first time I used it, I seemed to strained my knee and had to stay off of it for the whole week. Now I was back to square one. That entire week (or two)... I didn't walk, drink water... nothing. I still did research though. Still looked for the perfect workout for me and looked into meal planning.

After my shock of how meal planning works I was stuck. I don't think about what I eat at all. I just eat what I want. I'm not into junk food, candy, or desserts so I naturally don't eat those things hardly at all. But finding out I may need to cut out 2% milk, only eat egg whites, and try sugar free pancake syrup threw me for a loop! There was no way wanted to do all of that. Especially when my goal was only to tone my body, flatten my stomach, and feel better. I wasn't really interested in LOSING weight since I'm fine with weighing 130 lbs. Changing my eating seemed like too much. Luckily, I remembered my faith and I prayed on it. I was reminded... take small steps. So I decided on a workout routine. A beginners routine from blogilates.com. With that I will probably shoot for eating healthy 3-4 days out of the week for one month. Then kicking it up a notch the next month. I have already started walking on the walkstation again and I have increased my 1 mile to 2 miles 3 times a week! I am also still drinking water only at work. I am excited about my journey that I will be starting in January and I look forward to making friends on fitness pal.

Thanks for reading!
Peace & Blessings!

Replies

• goodnamegone
    Options
    Awesome post, just what I needed to read, thank you.
  • thefithairista
    thefithairista Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! Good luck on your journey. :)
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    yes baby steps.... that is what i did, one small thing at a time and once i was used to it i would change another...
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    I like what you said re: creating habits. For me...that's what this whole process has been about...creating habits. When I first started MFP, I didn't start doing "everything" at once...I just started practicing logging. I didn't even really try to stay under goal at first...my primary goal was just to log EVERYTHING I ate. After I felt solid in that, I started working on hitting my calorie goal every day (not just getting under the threshhold...I tried to hit it right on...just to practice controlling the numbers/results).

Anyway, I guess I took the "baby step" approach by working to perfect the process...one item at a time. I don't know if that way would work for everyone...but it sure worked for me. :smile:

With whatever you do, good luck to you! You can do it! :smile: #goteammfp
  • 40andFindingFitness
    Options
    Good luck on your journey. We need a like button in the forums. :0)
  • akoorn1982
    akoorn1982 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Welcome new you!
  • kbny05
    kbny05 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This was a great post! I can relate to a lot of your story. I'm using my fitness pal to help me become healthier too and your story has given me some really great ideas of how to move to the next level. I'm definitely going to try that water only at work idea...I'm going to make that my new challenge. I'm not a big water drinker either and so I need something like this to help me improve that habit.

Thanks for sharing. I pray we both reach our desired goals! :smile:
  • kimstwin
    kimstwin Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing, keep us posted on your goals and progress. I love MFP!
  • Raitanj1
    Options
    That was definitely a great post! Welcome! I am sure you can reach the goals you have set for yourself. Good luck! If you need some inspiration you can add me! :) best of luck!