Diet = Heartburn

Options
So now that I'm really trying to maintain calories and not eat past 6 I frequently well every night get heart burn about nine thirty at night. How can I help this? I'm not eating spicy food or anything.

Replies

• BeautifulScarsWECHANGED
    Options
    Make sure you're drinking enough water....also try adding (if you haven't already) probiotics to your diet. It's naturally found in yogurt, but you can get higher and purer doeses at health food stores. So worth it!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options
    :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
    are you eating red meat or processed foods ?
  • julia5962
    Options
    do not eat after 6pm, stay away from mint, chocolates and rich tomatoe sauces for dinner, take over the counter zantac everyday with dinner
  • kekehunee
    kekehunee Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I suffer from GERD and popped prilosec on a regular basis. There were plenty of nights I had to sleep sitting up to keep from choking on acid....let me tell you it was awful! Until I got the greatest tip from an RN who is studying holistic medicine and this has totally worked for me. Drink plenty of water but don't go overboard - this actually makes it worse.... and eat a plum about an hour after your meal. (skin on) plums have a natural chemical compound that slows digestion this is a preventative method. If you are already having symptoms you can try it too, as well as a banana but it takes a little while to kick in. (it can't be too ripe) Btw more than spicy foods aggravate heartburn.... too much sugar, fat, stress and sleep apnea can make it worse. Also increasing fiber intake helps slow digestion :)
    Hope this works for you. If your heartburn doesn't get any better please see your Doctor, sometimes there can be an underlying medical issue at the root of your problem.
    ~Take care~
  • twistygirl
    twistygirl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I had that problem and it got worse for a few years I took medicine, I tried avoiding certain foods that didn't work I went to the Dr. They tested me to see how much acid my stomach was producing and I had Gerd surgery two weeks later no problem since the surgery, Make sure that acid isn't coming up into to your mouth. It can cause dental problems.
  • sarahwright01
    sarahwright01 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I would say that you should plan in a small very healthy snack around 8:00 every night. I would try things that help reduce acid: 8 ounces of milk, 1/4 cup of cottage cheese, or something

Also you could try to eat ginger....it is proven to relieve stomach issues.

Another thing to consider: if you aren't eating anything past 6, you could potentially send your body into a mode of starvation because you aren't eating for so long between dinner and breakfast. Including a night time healthy snack could also help in weight loss.
  • B_Steppuhn
    B_Steppuhn Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thank you everybody ill try a few different things I usually go to bed 930-10 at night I also eat breakfast at 4 though so ill try a few things