anyone ever changed their career?

Options
2»

Replies

• Broderick50
    Broderick50 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    I guess I have a few times also. I started working in mental health. Then I left to go work in a factory more money, but the work sucked. Then I went back to mental health. Now I'm an accountant what my degree is actually in.
  • HANGRYFEEDME
    Options
    Yes AF to professional spelunker.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I have, but I was still in my 20s when I did it. I worked in banking for 3 years after I graduated, then I did teacher training and haven't looked back. Sometimes it's tempting to change careers again, but I love the holidays off, especially as my eldest child is at school now.
  • Monkey_Business
    Monkey_Business Posts: 1,800 Member
    Options
    Hi guys

I was wondering if anyone has ever changed their career path?

I am currently contemplating this and wondered what experiences people have had by doing this, what they would do differently and any advice they have.

Many thanks in advance :)

I have had 3 careers in the last 42 years:

In 1972, at the age of 18, joined the army. 21 years later 1993, I retired, body was pretty beat-up.

1993-1998 Marketing manager, good pay, long hrs (80+ hrs per week) little opportunity for upward movement without a marketing degree. So I went to school while working crazy hour and completed my under in 2 1/2 years and six months later my Masters)

1998 - present I have work IT (My degrees are in Management Information Systems from Auburn University). Which were hobbies while I was in the Army and and as a Marketing Manager. My current 'job' combines my two interests of the Service and IT. I could move and have been offered some VERY nice positions, I love what I am doing now and helping our service members.

Just one old man's opinion.......
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Hi guys

I was wondering if anyone has ever changed their career path?

I am currently contemplating this and wondered what experiences people have had by doing this, what they would do differently and any advice they have.

Many thanks in advance :)

I've done it twice. Both times were good.

Both times I played to what I was naturally good at, but the second time I backed that up with a specifically targeted college education.

I wouldn't do either one differently, but they were audacious acts that were fraught with peril, punctuated by ramen, and a lot of fear of failure. I would say though, be sure you know what you want to change into. My change into advertising was ok, but I wasn't ready to deal with all the "PR pros" that graduated from party schools, it was really hard to come down to their level. Changing to my current industry would have been better from the start, but my experiences in that previous field have really opened up doors in my current field. So... it balances out.

At the end of the day, play to strengths.
  • MoJokes
    MoJokes Posts: 691
    Options
    great feedback!
  • GoMizzou99
    GoMizzou99 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I was a treated-well, paid-very-well senior principal engineer that ran 4 offices of a nation-wide 100+ office engineering firm. I gave it all up to start my own business last April a week before I turned 53. Love it!

BTW - the management at my old employer told me I was too old, it was dumbest thing they ever heard, I would never succeed, etc. I now have 5 employees and I am looking for #6.

Ask me in a year if it was smart financially (I have to buy a lot of specialized equipment - almost done)...but I think it will be.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Im contemplating changing mine been in my field for 6 years...thinking about an actuary

I'll be honest too my goal in my career now is not to be happy or passionate. It's to make money. I'm more passionate about my free time, my family, my travel. I just want to go to work make a decent salary, have holidays off, and enjoy my free time.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    After 24 years working in a law office I got a job in a marketing agency. It felt like a big risk at the time (I knew NOTHING about marketing - they were hiring me because of my organizational skills). It's coming up on 2 years since I made the switch and I've never regretted it. There was no room to grow at the law office - I could work there another 24 years and would be doing the same thing for probably not much more money (they considered me at the top of the pay range for my position). My current employer is constantly training me & helping my career grow.
  • bluesy8899
    bluesy8899 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'm in the middle of just such a situation. I have been a hairdresser for the past 20 years. I have always dreamed of a college education and divorce offered me the chance/pushed me into pursuing that dream. I will be graduating next December with an IT graduate degree from a big 10 university. I'm equal parts excited and petrified but have loved what I'm learning and can't wait to apply it to the real world. I would rather have taken this chance than wonder what may have been. That's what made my decision. Best to you!