Losing weight and replacing your wardrobe?

Options
Maria_Cutie
Maria_Cutie Posts: 136 Member
So, everyone who is losing weight or has lost weight, knows that replacing your wardrobe can be a pain in the butt. I went from a size 18 to an 11 and I now own 2 pairs of pants that fit, and 15 that don't! I work minimum wage and can't afford to replace my wardrobe or even buy clothes for the "transition" between sizes, so basically, anyone have clothes that don't fit them and want to sell them?! I know I have tons of clothes size 13-18 that I'm trying to get off of my hands and into someone else's that can fit them and need them for cheap! Just curious if anyone was interested in buying from or selling to me! :)

(of course I would post pics of all the stuff I have if people are interested)

Replies

• togmo
    togmo Posts: 257
    Options
    Your local OP shop is great for changing wardrobes, especially if it is at stages of transition.

Once you hit your goal weight and you plan to stick to it then you can invest in something a little more special when funds allow. At least that is what I keep telling the missus...
  • magurski
    magurski Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Check out places like Goodwill, consignment shops, etc. You should be able to get decent quality clothing really cheaply. And you can donate your old clothes for a tax write-off!
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    What I did when I lost weight.. I just got back into my older clothes lol.
    I have to admit, I better update that soon! Donating it all and getting a retro wardrobe <3.
    I love retro, I totally have the hair for it haha.
  • crystalbluewolf13
    crystalbluewolf13 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I tend to have transition clothes anyway as i keep a few pieces of each smaller size and vacuum pack them. Either that or i have a look round charity shops to see if they have anything, or check out the sales
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Have you tried selling locally via Craigslist? I have had very good luck with it, and find it a better option that ebay or other online sites as there's no cost for shipping when I can meet up with people in my city (publicly). I usually list "lots" of same size items, and sell for one price. Keeping it fairly low priced seems to move items quickly! For example, right now I have a lot listed of two pair size 18 pants and four 1X tops for $10.

I also had a garage sale at my home back in July when I had lost around 30 lb and had a HUGE amount of professional & casual clothing sizes 20-24 and 2X/3X to sell. I advertised that not only on CL but on facebook via a "plus size clothing swap" group and seriously had swarms of women at my garage sale who bought every single item! I was then able to purchase several nicer new items with the proceeds.

Completely understand the financial hardship that can accompany replacing your wardrobe. I know you're on a limited budget but I think thrift shops are one excellent option if you have the time and means to scour them frequently. I also seem to find a lot of nice things at Target on the clearance racks lately. If you're in an 11 right now but they have a lot of cute juniors clothing and seem to have the mid and larger sizes (11-17) on clearance a lot. I am just now wearing 15-17 range and even though I'm probably way too old for juniors at 37, I could care less, I love a lot of their modern styling!

Also, I have found it is helpful to view clothes differently than you may have when you were wearing larger sizes. I can only speak for myself but I wore size 20-22 for more than 10 yrs and I accumulated soooooo many clothes. I was used to always having like 30 pair of jeans, 10 pair of dress pants, and a zillion tops. I have a lot of tops still as they are pretty easy to find XL everywhere for cheap, but I only own around 4 pairs of jeans and 2-3 of dress pants. For me that is a very low amount and my closet sometimes freaks me out because it looks totally empty compared to in the past. But it is ok. You will actually WEAR all of your clothes this way!!! Good luck to you.
  • DanaHerro
    DanaHerro Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    GOODWILL / THRIFT STORES / SALVATION ARMY!!!!!!!!!!

Got through all 60 lbs that way and it was SUPER cheap and I found amazing things!!!
  • Lorinda40
    Lorinda40 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about in your area, but here we have some pages on facebook where people buy sell and trade things.. Maybe do a search if you have a facebook account for your area. It's like a virtual swap meet/yard sale. Pretty cool.
  • debby3300
    Options
    The Goodwill is a great way to buy clothes during that transition period..
  • jennpaulson
    jennpaulson Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I am pulling a lot of things from the back of my closet. But I have also picked up some jeans from my favorite consignment store ($100 jeans for $15 a pair). I have picked up some new sweaters and shirts on sale from Kohls for $6.99-$9.99.
    I also have a lot of things to get rid of, so many shirts and sweaters that I bought in the past just because they fit my boobs or hid my roll, not because I actually liked them.

ETA... The big expense for me has been and stil is replacing undergarments. Bras, all too big now, underwear, all too big, stockings all too big.
  • Maria_Cutie
    Maria_Cutie Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Honestly the goodwill around here is quite...disgusting, and pricey for being goodwill? It's a little hard to describe. I don't buy from the Salvation army, and the thrift stores around here are usually in cahoots with some organizations I don't support, but I think craigslist and searching on Facebook for swapping groups is a good idea! Thanks dolls :)
  • melb_alex
    melb_alex Posts: 1,154 Member
    Options
    this is the best feeling! I have had to buy new jeans, dresses, skirts, tops and even bikini's!

it may seem expensive but well worth it in the end ;)

You can always try Ebay or we have Gumtree...I think you guys call is craiglist?
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    this is the best feeling! I have had to buy new jeans, dresses, skirts, tops and even bikini's!

it may seem expensive but well worth it in the end ;)

You can always try Ebay or we have Gumtree...I think you guys call is craiglist?

im totally just following you around the forums right now alex - gumtree so cute
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    I have a Gordman's credit card, and every 6 months or so I will go clothes shopping and charge it to the card. I will just pay it down each month until I use it again. Plus I always have coupons and buy from clearance racks alot, I almost never pay full price for clothing. I'm currently a size 8, down from size 20 so I only have a few things remaining from my old wardrobe. I just donate my fat clothes only keeping 1-2 sizes up to wear during my period bloat each month or to layer in the winter months, like today I have a pair of size 10 jeans over top a pair of size 8 skinny jeans, (we just got 7 inches of snow last night and its cold!).
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,783 Member
    Options
    Check out places like Goodwill, consignment shops, etc. You should be able to get decent quality clothing really cheaply. And you can donate your old clothes for a tax write-off!

The tax write off is ONLY good if you can use form SCH A and if your SCH A deductions are more than your standard deduction. It would also need to be over $1000 bucks higher to make a significant difference on your tax return. Nothing ticks us tax professionals off more than telling someone you can write it off, but not giving them ALL the details associated with the write off.
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about in your area, but here we have some pages on facebook where people buy sell and trade things.. Maybe do a search if you have a facebook account for your area. It's like a virtual swap meet/yard sale. Pretty cool.

yes! this lots of my friends and co-workers use local swaps, they just meet up with the person and trade/buy stuff.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options

The tax write off is ONLY good if you can use form SCH A and if your SCH A deductions are more than your standard deduction. It would also need to be over $1000 bucks higher to make a significant difference on your tax return. Nothing ticks us tax professionals off more than telling someone you can write it off, but not giving them ALL the details associated with the write off.

so much this. I'm not a tax professional but my job is financial in nature and I always cringe when people tell low income or middle class individuals they should write off their tiny thrift shop donations each year. Probably not worthwhile at all...