Weight Lifting - Beginner Advice

Options
Hey MFP!

I need some advice for starting a routine with lifting weights. I have a home gym similar to this one ----> http://www.exerciseequipmentwarehouse.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/danville-ca-home-gym-equipment-store.jpg

I would love if someone could suggest a routine I could implement weekly. I currently jog/walk 30 minutes everyday. I would like to start incorporating weight lifting into my routine to tone up. Any suggestions? Should I lift everyday or every other day?

Stats
5'3 ish
137 lbs

Thank you for any input!

HgH

Replies

• shafstar
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as you..... 30min cardio sessions for the past 3 months and will be having my first weights session on Saturday.

Aiming myself for 3 times a week..... Complete noob so I'm reading a lot and will try not to 'copy' what others are doing in the Gym ;)
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    OP looks like your home machine is going to have you doing a lot of isolation style exercises, but it does look like it would be kind of OK for upper body since you get some chest and back work

the lower body options are abysmal IMO since the only thing there is for quads and nothing for hamstrings, glutes. also no shoulder work.

do you have free weights you can use?

if that were my choice, i would look into freeweights (dumbbells and kettlebells would work too, or some sort of sandbag thing) to do things like squats, deadlifts, cleans, overhead presses, snatches and use the machine for lat pull downs and the chest press thing until i could get a proper bench for bench pressing