Why do so many MFP users dismiss high calorie burns?

Options
I frequently rack up a neat deficit doing the elliptical/cross trainer, gradually increasing the resistance (whilst using 5lb dumbells which I don't include when entering my values) and I can net anywhere between 450-900 cals doing this according to my weight and length of time spent according to MFP. I know that MFP values are inflated to a degree but I reckon adding strength training to it probably means I break even. I've noticed on here that when people log high calorie burns from anywhere between 800-2000 cals a day others are quick to dismiss it but I don't understand why. The reality is that if you work out you will burn - no one would ever disagree with someone if they said they ate 10,000 cals and logged it so why are so many MFP users that are dismissive about other peoples high cal burns.
Is it too hard to accept that when some of us workout we put our back into it?

Replies

• madrose0715
    madrose0715 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I have never had a friend dismiss my high calorie burns. I do them frequently and my weight loss success backs it. You shouldn't care - let your numbers give you the validation, not what others have to say about it.

eta: and by numbers I mean all your numbers - calories in, exercise calories burned, the scale, the measuring tape, how many reps, how much weight you are lifting, etc...Weight loss is not a one dimensional process.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I've noticed on here that when people log high calorie burns from anywhere between 800-2000 cals a day others are quick to dismiss it but I don't understand why.

Because 90%+ of the time, the burn is vastly over-inflated, which means people are setting themselves up for a "plateau".
  • madrose0715
    Options
    I've noticed on here that when people log high calorie burns from anywhere between 800-2000 cals a day others are quick to dismiss it but I don't understand why.

Because 90%+ of the time, the burn is vastly over-inflated, which means people are setting themselves up for a "plateau".

Uhmmm....incorrect. Large calorie burns can be expected depending on level of fitness, time and intensity. Over-inflated burns only get recorded when people are inaccurate with these numbers. I consistently burn between 500-1100 calories and do not plateau unless I am eating more or am in maintenance. As I lose weight and my fitness levels continue to improve, my calorie burns naturally reduce and I have to work harder and/or longer to get those kind of burns.

I really wish people would stop making broad stroke generalizations on these threads. If you record large burns but are not in a deficit at the end of the day (because you are overinflating your burn or are eating more), then you either maintain or gain.

So many threads of people discrediting that large calorie burns can exist on a regular basis... Defies logic, really.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    I really wish people would stop making broad stroke generalizations on these threads.
    Pot, meet kettle...
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    wow someone's defensive about their calorie burns :laugh:

anyway, i wear an HRM when i work out and depending on the activity MFP greatly overestimates my calorie burn. worse culprits are anything involving machines like elliptical and treadmill.

i think so many people disregard them because it's very hard to average 10 calorie burn per minute depending on your size and fitness level, so when people enter in 1000+ calorie burns for 60 minutes of steady state elliptical training that might get a side eye. but really in the end, it's your log, your journey your weight loss. who cares if someone else dismisses your numbers?
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I also wear a HRM, and when I input my exercises in the database, it comes up with numbers that are nearly double what I actually burned. Granted HRM's are also an estimate, but it's waaaaay more accurate than MFP! I've had some 800-900+ burns, but those burns I was hiking for 2+ hours (i'm still in the Obese category too, for perspective). I don't get anywhere near that with 30 minutes to 1 hour of any exercise, regardless of intensity. This is just MY personal experience though, so take from it what you will.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I think because they're kind of pointless, unless you're training for a long resistance race/competition.

I used to do hours of cardio, yes it helped with weight loss, but I didn't need to do as much as i did.

I now follow a totally different program and have much better results.
  • calliekitten9
    calliekitten9 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    It's like with all things that are "estimates", as long as you recognize that the calories burned in MFP is just an estimate and you don't eat based on those being accurate, then I think you are fine.
  • kiwigal41
    kiwigal41 Posts: 1,059
    Options
    I don't use the mfp numbers usually.....I have a HRM but I don't complete trust that either.....so I usually log less than what me HRM says.....for instance....if it says I've burned 480....i'll put something like 350 into mfp and not even eat all that back....say about 200...probably not the best way to do it....but it seems to work ok for me....
  • infamousdrew76
    infamousdrew76 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of it is ignorance!

I'm not going to have the same burn running a 5K as someone that is obese doing the same thing!
  • BetterKimmer
    BetterKimmer Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    You should do some research on how off the calories reported on the machines can be. Try this one http://www.shape.com/fitness/cardio/how-inaccurate-are-calorie-counters-gym , or do your own search. Knowledge is power. But like the others say, whatever motivates you, and if you are successful in your health journey, forget what other people say. Keep up the good work.
  • Byrdsong1920
    Byrdsong1920 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    All of my friends are very supportive. I also have a Polar HRM.

But I do have a few friends that don't have HRM and burns are 2000 in an hour (which is virtually impossible) for a traditional aerobics class , unless ur Professor Klump. But I encourage them , because regardless, they were active for an hour.

Each person has their own journey and their way of logging. Just keep track of it and make adjustments as needed!

Enjoy, and Merry Christmas MFPeeps!????

Shannon, atl
  • tjthegreatone
    Options
    My friends don't question my high calorie burns (I even underestimate them to give me a window as I like to eat all my calories). But even if they did, I've done enough research to be able to guesstimate roughly what my expected burns should be for various exercises at various efforts.
    And above all, with calorie counting and logging, the mirror doesn't lie :smile: :angry:
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Because research shows that many people overestimate the calorie burn of their exercise. If someone tracks 10,000 calories worth of food, I'm going to assume they put the food that they ate in their log based on the label. If someone claims 10,000 burned calories, I'm going to assume their gym machines are ridiculously inaccurate.

(If someone estimates 10,000 calories from eating at a restaurant with no nutrition information posted, I'm also going to assume there's a good chance that they overestimated.)
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    However, the only time I ever say anything about someone's burn being overestimated is when they post a thread asking why they aren't losing weight while counting huge calorie burns and eating the calories back. For people on my feed, I don't care and don't think about it, unless they are asking why they aren't losing weight. I know people burn more calories than me. I know some burn massive amounts of calories. But if they are posting a thread about not losing despite a "net" of 1200 calories while logging 2000 calories of exercise, that's going to be the first place I'd look.
  • mistress8956
    mistress8956 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I see people posting imo ridiculously high calories burned and then going and eating away their deficit.....idk maybe they are recording high burns so they can eat more ( and no I don't think most people do this) I'm just saying its possible. But in the end if your not truthful with yourself your only hurting yourself.
  • madrose0715
    Options
    I really wish people would stop making broad stroke generalizations on these threads.
    Pot, meet kettle...

Exactly where did I make a broad-stroke generalization in my comment? My information is purely factual and my reply is based on watching almost a year of threads on this forum where this subject matter comes up time and again. For the first time ever, I finally decided to state what I know to yet another MFP'r who feels discouraged by nay-sayers like yourself.

I hope she tracks all her numbers and results and validates her efforts through her own results. Not what a bunch of strangers on this forum like to dish out.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    Pot, meet kettle...

Exactly where did I make a broad-stroke generalization in my comment?
    You can't be serious.

:laugh:

In the sentence I quoted, for starters. Who are these generalized, non-specific "people" you are referring to?

Good grief.
    ... nay-sayers like yourself.
    And there's another one.

:smokin:
  • nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    As another poster said, alot of people miscalculate the calories they burn during a workout. I use a HR monitor to calculate how many calories i burn. It calculates alot of factors to determine what my burned calories were and most of the time are lower then what MFP would tell you. But it all depends on how hard you push yourself. For example, today i ran/sprint for 68 minutes average heart rate was 167 bpm and i burned 1075 calories. Dismiss all you want, but that is accurate fact.
  • nicenhealthy
    Options
    I never dismiss what MFP friends are able to achieve (high cal burns) but it just annoys me because it makes me feel bad in relative to them. You know? :ohwell: