Do you still smoke?

Options
I have been eating (most days) healthy, but I still smoke. Does anyone else do this? How did you quit?

Replies

• kaned_ferret
    kaned_ferret Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I just stopped and took up vaping instead (never had a problem with nicotine addiction but enjoy the physical act of smoking so this enables me to stop smoking and enjoy the health benefits, but continues to let me fulfil my behavioural desire - plus there's all sorts of groovy flavours!)
  • JaxDemon
    JaxDemon Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    My partner read this book http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0718194551

And she quit smoking around half way through it. Just stopped and not smoked in like 4 months now. Very proud of her. Hope you kick the nasty habit.
  • Sandytoes71
    Sandytoes71 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Nope! :)))) Quit cold turkey a few months ago :) Watched youtube documentaries on the evils of cigs. Helped alot.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Yes, smoker checking in here :embarassed:

I have been known to go for a run & have a ciggie on the way back. It's not big, pretty, nor clever, but I really enjoy it. I know the stats & that its seriously detrimental to my health & goals... but.. well.. :smokin: ,
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Quit 5 years ago. For whatever reason, it was easy for me this time and I never picked up or even thought of having a cigarette again. I was taking my teammates out for a holiday lunch and they were in the car behind me. All I could see was smoke and puffing through the rear window and it grossed me out and that was that.
  • oiseau17
    oiseau17 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I loved to smoke but switched to vaping in Aug 2012 and never looked back. Best decision I ever made.
  • ktstacy
    ktstacy Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I quit cold-turkey for my husband, because I felt bad subjecting him to being around all the smoke. I couldn't even think of going back to smoking.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Quit two years ago the moment the second line appeared on the pregnancy test. I don't recommend this as a quitting strategy. :tongue: I will say that there are still times when I really want to smoke, and it sneaks up on me randomly. Today I had a moment when I was in the car (sans kids for once). Just driving down the road listening to a song, and the urge hit me. I'm not sure that will ever go away.
  • mortyfit
    mortyfit Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, yes, I do.

I know all the reasons not to backward and forward. Doesn't seem to make a difference though.

I am down to a pack a week, so at least I've made some progress.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options

I know all the reasons not to backward and forward. Doesn't seem to make a difference though.

If you don't mind me querying.. How much were you originally smoking to cut down to that? I'm on average 15-20 per day. I'm actually not too bad if I can distract myself around "trigger" times (my dog gets dragged around the block a lot when I do try to cut back). Have you used any substitutions instead? I'm the same common sense fails me. I just enjoy it far too damn much to quit full time.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    This coming Tuesday is my two year quit date. I quit by taking Chantix. I probably would not recommend it, though it made quitting very easy.
    The side effects were hell, but I quit.
  • mortyfit
    mortyfit Posts: 354 Member
    Options

If you don't mind me querying.. How much were you originally smoking to cut down to that? I'm on average 15-20 per day. I'm actually not too bad if I can distract myself around "trigger" times (my dog gets dragged around the block a lot when I do try to cut back). Have you used any substitutions instead? I'm the same common sense fails me. I just enjoy it far too damn much to quit full time.
    I was at a pack a day for a long time before I started running a few years ago.
    I did the Chantix thing--did NOT work for me because although it decreased the urges and cravings, it also gave me pretty nasty dreams, when I could sleep at all.

My only motivation to continue cutting back (and finally quitting soon, I hope) is that every time I decreased my smoking, I was faster and more comfortable in my next race.
  • zekni
    zekni Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I smoked a pack a day for about 15 years. One day I had been coughing a lot lately, and the last one in that box didn't taste very good, so I decided I was done. And I've been done for about 8 months now, and it wasn't really very hard this time.
  • angulasalajillo
    Options
    I smoke roughly 5-8 cigarettes a day still.
    It's bad, I know, and I will quit, but I believe you have to REALLY want to quit or you will go back to it(just like I have done in the past).
    As I am approaching 30 I am feeling more and more like I want to stop.

The weird thing is, it doesn't *seem* to affect my ability to exercise. I walk brikly 6 miles a day and I put in 3-4 days a week at the gym.

When I do quit it will be cold turkey... my Nan and my Dad did it after smoking 20-30 a day, so if they can do it - so can I :smile:
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I smoked as a young man and was able to quit easily 20 years ago. However, I switched to smokeless tobacco. Nicotine is a nasty drug, difficult to kick. It took me close to 15 years to finally kick it. I have been "smokeless" free for over two years now. The truth was, even though I knew all the reasons I should quit, I just didn't want to. I finally came to a state of mind where I wanted to quit more than I wanted to continue........I hope that makes sense. Good luck to you!
  • Noamsh
    Noamsh Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I smoke a pack a day, and honestly, I just love smoking.
    I do think about quiting though, mainly because of financial reasons and not becaue of my health (even though I have asthma - and don't start, I've heard it all), maybe it's because I'm still young.
    With that said, I know that my life won't allow me to quit right now, so I plan on quitting in the summer.
  • pinktoesjb
    pinktoesjb Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Quit a couple of years ago now from about a pack a day, had a couple of small incidents off the waggon but it will be a year in january since any of my little fails and it completely grosses me out now, can't see myself falling again.

Health, exercise, advice, asthma, stress none of it matters until you want to do it, and you decide to do it and you will. And you can!
  • losing88
    Options
    Quit in 2009. Been fat ever since. Glad I quit though!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I stopped smoking 9 years ago because I couldn't afford $70 a carton anymore. I still want to smoke and have to be dragged away from people outside on their breaks who are smoking.

I don't feel it makes you a bad person or your should be down on yourself for smoking. :heart:
  • mrsamanda86
    mrsamanda86 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I had quit for two years before, cold turkey, then in Jan. 2012 started smoking again, due to (pathetic excuse) boredom on 15 minute breaks at work. I quit again in July of this year by switching to e-ciggs. I tried smoking a regular cigarette about 2 months ago and it tasted awful and made me stink LOL I'm happy with my choice, and don't really plan on giving up the e-ciggs any time soon. They give me something to do and keep me from ever really needing to go back to the real ones.