Ever have trouble recognizing yourself?

Options
I have lost 51 lbs since march. I am thrilled to have accomplished so much! But the are times were I can't recognize self in pictures and videos.

One day I was at a place with security cameras and when I looked at the screen there was a guy there that I didn't see in the room. Of course, that guy was me. It has also happens with pictures. I see one where I am in a group of people and can't recognize myself until after looking for a few more seconds.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Replies

• nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Yep! Sometimes catch a glimpse of myself in a mirror in a store and look to see who is behind me. It's a cool feeling once you figure out what's going on.
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Yes! I caught the reflection of this woman in the mirror in the weight room at the gym & it took a second look before I realized it was me! It was very cool because I had a positive reaction to how she looked when I did not know it was me.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    It's the "double take" I think a lot of us experience. Self perception is so finicky.
  • PeanutButter4me
    Options
    Almost all the time. I'll have pictures taken or i'll see myself in mirrors when i'm out, and it'll hit me that "wow, is that me?. i look so different". I guess the image of how i used to look like is stuck with me. But once you realize you changed, it slowly starts sinking in.
  • MoJokes
    MoJokes Posts: 691
    Options
    Sometimes i do. Like the other day I was out in a bowling alley and was about to take a punch on one of those machines. Anyway my brother filmed it and when i saw it i was surprised at how my back looked, like a wing!
    I don't even realise how my body looks!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Yes, this happens to me sometimes too.

It happened to me even more when I was heavier/at my heaviest though. Especially with the security camera display...I would think, "Where am I? I know I'm not that really huge woman...oh, that is me...F****!"

Now I am occasionally struck by how tall, athletic, and OLD I look when I see myself in a mirror or reflected in glass unexpectedly. Not excited about looking older...but two out of three isn't too bad, right? haha
  • fpelletier
    fpelletier Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Yep, even though I still have a long ways to go, just looking at my profile pic on here, I am like wow. I don't even recognize myself in either picture, the first because I can't believe I let myself get to that point and the second because it seems like such a big change for around 40lbs if I recall correctly when I took that picture.
  • chopper_pilot
    chopper_pilot Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    far more often than i want to admit.
  • amcsouth
    amcsouth Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Almost all the time. I've been over weight since I was a kid (so the last time I was this weight was when I was about 7). I'm getting better with it but it's sometimes a huge shock to see a picture and realize that it's actually me. :smile:
  • karlospiklington
    karlospiklington Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Some days I really notice and feel my weightloss, but others I don't feel like I've lost anything at all. I know logically that I am smaller and my old clothes are too big but it is taking me a while to get used to my new body. I suppose after being overweight for about a year or more I got very used to my old body shape. The brain seems to take a while to adjust.
  • redwan2001
    redwan2001 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Of course sometimes you are still in shock, I use to weigh 350 lbs and I am 165 lbs so talk about taking a closer look. Hahaha yes buddy your not alone keep up the great work :)

Nadia