Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

30DS question

I'm just curious about 30 day shred and didn't see an answer.

What makes it work? It's a short workout. My MFP friends who use the workouts are burning under 200 cals, so its not a big burner. However, I've seen LOTS of success stories from people following the video.

Would anyone mind explaining to me about the exercises and what makes them seemingly effective? It just seems like such a small burn!

I was thinking of buying a few of the Jillian Michaels tapes to use since my overtime season is approaching and I will not be able to go to the group fitness classes I like since I will be at work.

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Honestly, it's not so much about the burn but the quality of the workout - what you put into it. You don't have to have a huge calorie burn to have an effective workout. Weight loss happens from a calorie deficit, fitness comes from the exercise.

30 Day Shred is a great starter workout - it combines cardio, some resistance work, and I noticed great improvements in my flexibility, endurance and strength as I progressed through it. As you improve, you'll find yourself wanting to pick up heavier weights, and maybe go for a longer workout, and start shopping for other DVDs or looking for other options.

But you don't have to burn a gazillion calories to call it a good workout. My burns these days are anywhere from 200-500 depending on what I did that day, and it's all good - with my reasonable calorie deficit, I am losing the fat, keeping my muscle, and looking and feeling better than ever.
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Thanks for the info :)

I am just used to my Zumba groups and burning 1000-1400 calories in an hour that I am concerned that the teeny comparative burns from the 30DS workouts may just make them totally pointless.
  • Kidostud
    Kidostud Posts: 307 Member
    I think also what makes it so effective is the combination of the exercises. As Jillian explains in some of her other videos, the circuit training really helps by working every muscle group effectively while resting another muscle group, but never resting the body inbetween exercises. So the body keeps moving the whole 30 minutes. And then the combination of strength training and cardio training inbetween really helps to get the heart rate up.

But, what really worked for me, was the fact that it is a short workout and I could fit it in every day no matter how busy my schedule is. I'll rather workout 6 days a week for 30 minutes than doing 60 minute workouts a few times a week. It's psychological, I know, because I can fool myself by saying it is only 30 minutes so just get it over and done with. But it is 30 minutes of really effective training. Try it, I'm sure you will love it.
  • jlahorn
    jlahorn Posts: 377 Member
    Thanks for the info :)

I am just used to my Zumba groups and burning 1000-1400 calories in an hour that I am concerned that the teeny comparative burns from the 30DS workouts may just make them totally pointless.

I have been Zumba-ing regularly for a year (and I work out hard) and the some of the exercises in 30DS were still a challenge for me at first. A lot of the work is very different from anything you do in Zumba, using completely different muscle groups. I didn't get amazing results or anything, but it made me feel stronger.
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Thanks everyone :) during tax season (starting next month) I will be working 6 days a week and all my favorite group classes are at times when I will be at work. I figure between riding and the 30DS workouts I can stay active.
  • Kidostud
    Kidostud Posts: 307 Member
    If you want a little more of a challenge, you can also try Ripped in 30. It is similar to 30DS, but I found the circuits more challenging and also you only do a level for a week, and not 10 days like in 30DS. There are 4 levels instead of 3, so I didn't get quite so bored as with 30DS.