2014 - the year I quit my sugar addiction!

Options
Ok everyone, I have had enough sugar to last me a life time. I am starting my New Year's goal early, giving up sugar. I plan on continuing to eat fruit and drinking wine. :-)

This is more of a lifestyle change for me rather than a weight loss tool. Anyone want to join me?

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Best of luck. Prepare for open mocking from the regulars who will say your fruit is sugar and your wine becomes sugar (or some variation of that). (And then it usually goes from there.)

But, I get what you're trying to do and wish you luck.

I cut way way way way way back on added sugars about 12 years ago, and cut way down on carbs that spike insulin. (I check my sauces and convenience foods, I don't eat candy, I don't eat breads with HFCS etc...)

Best decision I ever made.

Cheers and enjoy your wine.
  • Iaccardi
    Iaccardi Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Awesome decision. But I don't think you should define it as an addiction. Once you do, you'll trick your mind into thinking that you actually need it hence making it an addiction.

Whenever you crave a sweet snack, and don't worry I'm right there with you, think about how you don't really want it. Try to associate that sweet with all the negative emotions you can.

We all act upon our emotions. Sometimes when we're bored we tend to snack on something. Once you're able to distinguish a craving you can control it with your mind.

So good luck on your journey
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Is there any particular reason why you want to stop?
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you. I've had much success after eliminating it in several ways.

Don't fall in the trap of defending yourself should your post be challenged. Stick to your goal and follow what your body knows is good for it.
  • wheird
    Options

Don't fall in the trap of defending yourself should your post be challenged. Stick to your goal and follow what your body knows is good for it.

So don't discuss your decisions?

It is a fool who doesn't want their opinions challenged. And a greater one who cannot be swayed, regardless of the argument used.
  • Phaedra2014
    Options
    Of course it can be discussed. Becoming defensive serves no purpose however neither does going in attack mode. That's what tends to happen when threads like these are introduced.

I'm not an aggressive person by nature and I don't understand the aggression that gets displayed among people who don't even know one another on a forum that's for weight management and fitness.
  • generallyme2
    generallyme2 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I'm a big believer in moderation :) Now... that said, the last week or so has been anything but moderation and I can feel the effects it's having on my mood, sleep, tummy, skin, etc. I'm a big sugar fan haha but I have been able to trim it down in the past, even cutting back on ketchup (I eat it on so much) sweets, and dressings. I refuse to eliminate because it is something I enjoy, can fit into my cals and keeps me from taking the 'all or none' approach.

It's hard at first, but you can definitely do it! And it's not like you're depriving yourself- the fruit and wine (or fruit and wine mixed- yum!) are a good compromise. Good luck!
  • wheird
    Options
    Of course it can be discussed. Becoming defensive serves no purpose however neither does going in attack mode. That's what tends to happen when threads like these are introduced.

I'm not an aggressive person by nature and I don't understand the aggression that gets displayed among people who don't even know one another on a forum that's for weight management and fitness.

Well, allow me to enlighten you.

The reason why you see so many aggressive posters towards things such as clean eating, sugar deprivation, etc, is because they are often touted as "the only way to lose weight!" in advice to newer members, which is completely untrue. Ultimately, if someone wants to cut out sugar just because they "want to.", then I'm all for it. But claiming that there is any benefit to it is what irks many of the regular posters here.
  • Phaedra2014
    Options
    Maybe so but it still doesn't justify being aggressive. It's okay to be misinformed and then assisted in looking at the argument from a different perspective, but to berate, mock, bully, and engage in endless word battles makes no sense.

Thank you for your explanation though.

ETA: I gained a lot of benefit from cutting out sugar which is not to say that you would too. When these topics arise, I share how it benefited me. There is no harm in that. My experience may prove useful to someone else.
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Ok everyone, I have had enough sugar to last me a life time. I am starting my New Year's goal early, giving up sugar. I plan on continuing to eat fruit and drinking wine. :-)

This is more of a lifestyle change for me rather than a weight loss tool. Anyone want to join me?
    I already have. That is, I don't eat refined sugar. I do eat plenty of fruit and still enjoy a glass of wine. It's a good lifestyle change for me. I'm into health and excellent nutrition here, not just weight loss. I don't care what the naysayers think of it or say about it, either. They get to do what they think is best for their body, and I get to do what's best for my body. Good luck to you!
  • Ant_the_old_keith_lemon
    Options
    2013 the year i quit my sugar addiction.....

2014 the year i lived without sugar

?????
  • BlackPup
    BlackPup Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    A friend cut out sugar and did really well on it. She doesn't eat anything above 4g of sugar per 100 g of food. It will really limit what you can eat though cos so much food is packed with sugar. Good luck.
    I'm going to try to reduce sugar in my diet cos it makes my binge eating worse.
  • wheird
    Options
    Maybe so but it still doesn't justify being aggressive. It's okay to be misinformed and then assisted in looking at the argument from a different perspective, but to berate, mock, bully, and engage in endless word battles makes no sense.

Thank you for your explanation though.

ETA: I gained a lot of benefit from cutting out sugar which is not to say that you would too. When these topics arise, I share how it benefited me. There is no harm in that. My experience may prove useful to someone else.

The only true benefit is adherence if you happen to have trigger food issues.

And few are aggressive, though several are quick to jump on the shenanigans train. But the word battles are incredibly important as arguments are often solved through the minutiae.
  • WhisperAnne
    Options
    I quit eating/drinking processed sugar about 95% of the time. Its very rare when I have anything sugary unless it's a bite of a cookie or something. I use splenda and have been since I lost all my weight. Cutting back sugar made me lose a lot of weight. And Diabetes runs in my family so cutting back helped a lot there too.
  • wheird
    Options
    I quit eating/drinking processed sugar about 95% of the time. Its very rare when I have anything sugary unless it's a bite of a cookie or something. I use splenda and have been since I lost all my weight. Cutting back sugar made me lose a lot of weight. And Diabetes runs in my family so cutting back helped a lot there too.

(sorry for picking on you sweetness)

This is an example of what causes some members to get frustrated, because it is untrue. Cutting back sugar doesn't make you lose weight. It may have helped her adhere to her calorie deficit, but it was the actual deficit that led to the weight loss.
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options

This.

2014 is my year, too. I love sugar like a two pack a day smoker loves cigarettes. And to quote some lecturer or other on the subject, no one tells a two pack a day smoker to 'just cut down to a couple a day for life'. That might work for some smokers, but for most quitting outright is the only way to go, and then never starting again.
  • ElizabethFuller
    ElizabethFuller Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    A few years ago I gave up adding sugar to my tea and coffee and no longer eat chocolate regularly. Giving up sugar in drinks was hard, particularly coffee, but if you persist you will get used to it! Someone gave me coffee with one spoonful of sugar the other day and it was disgustingly sweet - I used to take at least two spoonfuls.:noway:
    I still eat fruit, occasional puddings etc but adding sugar or drinking non-diet soda just seems a waste of calories now.
    Good luck!
  • KnM0107
    KnM0107 Posts: 355 Member
    Options

I already have. That is, I don't eat refined sugar. I do eat plenty of fruit and still enjoy a glass of wine. It's a good lifestyle change for me. I'm into health and excellent nutrition here, not just weight loss. I don't care what the naysayers think of it or say about it, either. They get to do what they think is best for their body, and I get to do what's best for my body. Good luck to you!

Well ain't that special! I am into health and nutrition also, not just weightloss. I eat an oveall nutritious diet and sugar in moderation.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Well, allow me to enlighten you.

The reason why you see so many aggressive posters towards things such as clean eating, sugar deprivation, etc, is because they are often touted as "the only way to lose weight!" in advice to newer members, which is completely untrue. Ultimately, if someone wants to cut out sugar just because they "want to.", then I'm all for it. But claiming that there is any benefit to it is what irks many of the regular posters here.
    And IFFYM is often touted as THE ONLY RIGHT WAY to lose weight on here. Every day, in fact. And no one challenges that.