Hobbies

misspenny762
misspenny762 Posts: 279 Member
edited September 21 in Chit-Chat
I was just wondering what non-fitness related hobbies my fellow MFP-ers have. I've been wanting a hobby for a while now so today I gave candlemaking a try. It was really fun! My candle didn't turn out exactly the way I had planned but I love it! I'm already planning another trip to the craft store to get more fragrances and different types of wax. I also think I'd like to try soapmaking. Anyone have any experience with these two and want to share advice? What other hobbies do you have?

Replies

• imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    I bake, for fun and for profit, wedding cakes are my favourite! So are 3-D kids cakes. I also LOVE to sew. I do all my own curtains bed linens, pillows, and even did my wedding dress. My daughter makes candles and she just loves it, the only problem is it's quite expensive to start up.
  • misspenny762
    That is really cool! I love to bake too but I rarely do it now that I'm getting fit... It's nearly impossible to bake without sampling way too much of the batter and the finished product XD I wish I had the patience to sew, haha
  • Luckymam
    Luckymam Posts: 300
    I like family and local history. I've traced my family back to 1752.

Other than that, work, kids and friends keep me busy!
  • imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    I like family and local history. I've traced my family back to 1752.

Other than that, work, kids and friends keep me busy!

*kitten* kids count as a hobby!! lol..man my 6 are more of a nervous breakdown then a hobby! lol
  • lizzys
    lizzys Posts: 841 Member
    i like sewing.embroidery crochet fishing reading i want to learn to knit im no expert on these things but practice makes perfect also stain glass is really fun and want to learn scrap booking i like to cook
  • degausser234
    degausser234 Posts: 157 Member
    I really, really like photography and painting :)
    It seems like lately I've been getting into cooking as well.
    But candlemaking sounds pretty interesting, I'd love to try it soon. Where would you even get the supplies?
  • misspenny762
    I really, really like photography and painting :)
    It seems like lately I've been getting into cooking as well.
    But candlemaking sounds pretty interesting, I'd love to try it soon. Where would you even get the supplies?

Ah, I love painting! I always keep my room stocked with an easel, tons of canvas and watercolor paper, and every kind of paint, brush, and pastels you can think of. My next project is to get some plaster sugar skulls and paint them for Dia de los Muertos.

I got most of my candle supplies at Michael's craft store, but I got the glass containers I used at Cost Plus World Market... You can get those anywhere though.
  • ashley_h10
    ashley_h10 Posts: 110 Member
    i do scrapbooking! Its really a great way to save your memories with a little something extra! Its fun and time consuming...i havent had much time to do it since i had kids :S
  • ileitch
    ileitch Posts: 99
    I sail and teach others to sail, I teach First Aid, I swim and teach swimming, I play bass and I sing in a choir or two, and I'm on the board of a non-profit (sailing association). What a nerd, but those are my hobbies. :smile:
  • misspenny762
    Everyone has such lovely-sounding hobbies! I'm hearing so many things that sound interesting to try.

Sailing! Wow. That must be a blast!
  • Learning2LoveMe
    Learning2LoveMe Posts: 1,430 Member
    Candlemaking sounds like so much fun! I love candles! lol

I don't really have any hobbies other than I guess storm chasing and taking pictures of clouds. I used to be a choir geek :happy:
  • All the different hobbies that poeple have make a very diversified group. This is why MFP is a succesful group. My paticular hobbies are Bonsai trees which I have been doing for some time, and also as a volunteer Japanese Gardener at the Buddhist Temple I attend and at the City of Phoenix Japanese Friendship Garden. Both of these for me can put you in a very meditative state which for me helps to achive my goals on eating habits. All the hobbies just sound like everyone is enjoying their life.
  • alantin
    alantin Posts: 621 Member
    I study Asian history and Japanese language. I've scraped Chinese a bit too and want to start studying it more.
    I also like to travel and get to know some of the history of where I go.
  • misspenny762
    Those all sound very interesting!

Oooh, I do love to travel as well. Where have you traveled to?
  • alantin
    Well, the closest countries are Sweden and Estonia (I live in Finland). A couple of weekend trips to both Stockholm and Tallinn but those don't really count cuz lI guess 1 in 50 Finns hasn't gone there.. :laugh:
    I've been to Lapland too

Other than that:

Japan twice. Three months and six weeks. Mostly stayed in the Kansai area (in Kyouto, Oosaka and Ootsu) but spent a week in Toukyou and visited Nara, Himeji, Hiroshima, Beppu, and Kagoshima too.

A week or two in south Germany, Mallorca, and Gran Canaria.

My most recent trip was two weeks in Alanya, Turkey with my mom. :smile:
    It was about 37C all the time. It was a pretty hot summer here too and when I got back, I was teased all the time about how I needed to go over there to warm up.. :laugh: Got the best tan in my life thou! :wink:

Where have other people been to?
  • misspenny762
    I've been to 49 of our 50 states, Canada and Mexico several times, the Caribbean a few times, Australia once, Asia once (Japan, SK, and China), Europe three times, and Tunisia once. :]
  • Hi There, I used to make candles initially as a hobby and for presents and then kept getting requests so it turned into a very small business where I used to do a craft stall once a month at various places locally. Really enjoyed making them, the different types of moulds, colours and scent and experiementing.

I was going to move into making soap, got the books but didn't take it any further. Also had a go at making cards using rubber stamps and other materials.

I've always done cross stitch as well which I find is relaxing and can switch off after a busy day at work. Also knitting is can be fun and some fantastic wools available - used to make knitted teddy bears and scarfs for christmas presents.

Have fun at the craft shop as there is so much you could have a go at, and some aren't that expensive. (If you need any tips on candling - let me know)
  • lee112780
    lee112780 Posts: 419 Member
    I play guitar...keeps my hands busy and keeps me from eatin!
  • alantin
    I've been to 49 of our 50 states, Canada and Mexico several times, the Caribbean a few times, Australia once, Asia once (Japan, SK, and China), Europe three times, and Tunisia once. :]

Whoa!
    You're pretty well traveled! :drinker:
  • allie7383
    allie7383 Posts: 865 Member
    I took cake decorating last year, and have made a couple for profit, but mostly for family/friends' bdays. I also love to read, cook, and travel. My most recent trip was in May, to Egypt. I've been to Paris, London a couple times, several states including Alaska and Hawaii (I live in NJ), Canada a couple times, Mexico, Russia, and spent a semester in Australia.
This discussion has been closed.