How do I reset my brain?

Options
I'm 5'6" and 144 pounds. I'm trying to lose the last 10 baby pounds. I've been told that they will be easier to lose once I wean my daughter (which I'm hoping will be in a month or two). I know the weight on the scale is in the healthy range -but my body fat is at a scary 29%. YIKES!! But -it's down from 33% in the beginning of October. So it's moving in the right direction. I've also lost about 6 pounds since then. But not a single pound since the beginning of December. Which is when I thought maybe I'll cut my calories a little bit more. I've been eating around 1600 calories and nothing is budging. I care less about the number on the scale than I do my pants fitting nicely! So, I did some research and all the online calculators agree I should be eating around 2200 calories!! I work out 5-6 times a week. 3x strength training with a PT and 2 hard cardio sessions and then an easier activity like 5miler with the baby. How do I reset my brain to be okay with eating that many calories?? I understand the science behind it - but there's a part of me that is thinks it's just CRAZY!! Anybody else have success with this and would like to share their story to help my poor baby brain process this?

Replies

• Shuuma
    Shuuma Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    What helped me was to stop thinking of it as food and start thinking of it as fuel. Nursing moms use up ~300 calories a day feeding baby, so you need to replenish that or your body will nom on your muscles. I found that eating more spaced out meals (I eat about 5 or 6 times a day) and spreading out the calories satisfied me and made me feel better. The weight will come off too, since you're fueling your body and if it gets hungry, it will eat that pesky fat and not the nice muscles you're strengthening.

Start measuring and when you don't lose a pound but lose an inch in the waist or hips, celebrate! I've been eating more proteins and more calories and while I'm not budging on my weight, either, I'm still losing inches. I'm really happy with that because that means my heavier muscles are strong and I'm fueling them well. The weight will go!

Hang in there and just keep on keepin' on!
  • kdt8810
    kdt8810 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Food as fuel is a great way for me to get around my hang ups. I guess I need to start treating myself like the athlete I'm becoming. :smile:
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    If you are breast feeding you shouldn't be worried about eating 2200 calories. You need to be more concerned that your child is getting enough nutrition on your milk.

As for the actually issue of not losing...do you weigh your food? Your diary isn't open so it's very hard to comment on it.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think