When weighing apples?

Options
Do you include the weight of the core, or do you only log what you ate? I am confused by this. If I were to purchase a container of apple that was labeled with nutrition data, would the weight on the container follow with a cored apple or a whole apple? this morning i ate an apple and it appeared to be a medium apple to me and once i weighed it it was 190 grams, and then i cored it and it was less than 130 grams, but now i am not sure which number to count. It may only be a 30 calorie difference but i like my logs to be accurate. So would i only be logging what i ate?

Replies

• runnergrlfl
    runnergrlfl Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I weigh what I eat.

In the case of an apple, I'd slice & peel what I was going to eat, then weigh and enjoy.
  • Shuuma
    Shuuma Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I would core it, then weigh it. No use adding something you don't eat, in my opinion.
  • runnergrlfl
    runnergrlfl Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Also... How to eat an apple like a boss.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdCGnuccRv0
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I eat the apple and enjoy it and then log it using the MFP data base (small, medium or large).
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    If I'm eating an apple at work or something - I just pick the medium or large apple from the database. If I'm at home I'll core it and weigh just what I am eating. Generally the calorie count is pretty similar.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I assume MFP knows I'm not going to be eating the seeds, core or stem so I log one of their small medium or large apples.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    I eat the apple and enjoy it and then log it using the MFP data base (small, medium or large).

I do this, too.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    this thread is reminding me of a classic.

2 words...

SWEET PERTATERZ.

i miss lea.
  • Efflictim
    Efflictim Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Also... How to eat an apple like a boss.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdCGnuccRv0

Haha so bad *kitten*.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options

I do this, too.

Same here, along with the type of apple. If I was weighing something that was calorie dense, like say, peanut butter, I'd want to be more accurate, but apples don't have enough for me to bother weighing them.
  • Cadaverous_Bones
    Options
    Log the weight of what you actually ate. You didn't eat the apple core, so why would you count the calories from it? LOGIC.
  • ClementineGeorg
    ClementineGeorg Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I do the same. Logging will never be 100% percent accurate, the calorie count differs even for the same product (the value is just an average)... so I don't care for the + or - 20 calories,
    I don't weight apples, pears, peaches, bananas, tangerines... I prefer to be more carefull with rich calorie things.

I can be very thorough when I eat some cheese or bread, but not with apples.
  • ScottH_200
    ScottH_200 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Some of these threads are interesting to say the least. Is it really necessary to be that exact when logging an apple?
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Some of these threads are interesting to say the least. Is it really necessary to be that exact when logging an apple?

Talking about in the order of ten calories. Life is too short. By the time its been cored and weighed, the knife and scales washed up I've eaten said apple and moved on.
  • GGDaddy
    GGDaddy Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I eat an apple a day. I weigh it, eat it, then weigh the core to subtract before tossing. Takes all of 10 seconds.

Is it necessary/worth it? Well I had a small Honeycrisp apple a couple of days ago for 37 calories. Had a large Granny Smith last week for 152 calories. Hardly the +/- 10 calories that people seem to be citing as gospel.

Log or don't log, weight or don't weigh, whatever floats your boat. And the entire continuum is represented on mfp. Heck, I don't bother weighing spinach or broccoli. But among those people who weigh, many find it to be worth weighing apples.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh my apples.
  • arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    I eat it all because I'm a bad *kitten*.
  • InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do, don't compare it to an orange.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options

Gasp! You know you have an apple tree growing your tummy, right?
  • arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options

Gasp! You know you have an apple tree growing your tummy, right?

That isn't my tummy, dear. You know I've always been pretty good at planting seeds ;)