Low carb vegetarian christmas dinner?

Options
Hey guys!

So, tomorrow night I'll be having a small christmas feast with my boyfriend.. I was thinking 3 courses. However, he's a vegetarian and I try to eat low carb & low cal.. And I find that hard to combine, also because we don't have an oven, just a microwave..
I'm looking for something between 500-800 kcal for the whole dinner.

Does anybody have some helpful tips? I'll be checking out the internet all evening too, but maybe someone here has experience with it?

Thanks a lot!

Replies

• chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Low carb + vegetarian don't mix, unless you want to have some tofu with a side of tofu and tofu for dessert.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Vegetables have lots of carbs.
  • emmamaybear
    emmamaybear Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I was having that tofu-problem the last time I had dinner with the boyfriend.. Also by low carb I mean 30-40% carbs, so not like zero carbs. But I suppose I should just ignore the macros for a bit and go low cal - vegetarian? That has to be possible, right?
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    your conditions seem......

crazy.

vegetarian
    low-carb
    low-cal (800 for the whole dinner?!)
    no oven

soy cheese and steamed spinach!

merry xmas!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I was having that tofu-problem the last time I had dinner with the boyfriend.. Also by low carb I mean 30-40% carbs, so not like zero carbs. But I suppose I should just ignore the macros for a bit and go low cal - vegetarian? That has to be possible, right?

30-40% carbs isn't low carb. 30-40 grams is low carb.

It's really just one day. That's not even 1% of the year. Enjoy time with your boyfriend.
  • agggie550
    agggie550 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/02/zucchini-lasagna.html

Made this before its actually real good and a serving is only 345 calories. So that leaves a good bit for the other two courses.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Is it really a "feast" if you're limiting the calories and carbs?

I have a recipe for eggs baked in tomato sauce that always turns out great:
    Spray oven-safe, 8-oz. ramekins with cooking spray or lightly oil them. Into each ramekin, spoon about 1/2 c. tomato sauce of your choice (spicy marinara is especially good). Make indentations in the sauce with the back of a spoon. Break eggs into the indentations, 2 eggs per ramekin. Sprinkle each dish with about an ounce of shredded cheese. Bake about 20 minutes at 400F (200C), until eggs are set and cheese is melted.

Edit: OOPS! Forgot you mentioned you only had a microwave to work with. The recipe *might* work if you poke holes in the eggs to let the steam escape.

The eggs plus a salad plus a yogurt parfait with nuts and berries would make a pretty nice, healthy meal.
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Squash! You can cook it in the microwave~ just takes a really long time >__<

I've been planning to make a spaghetti squash with pesto, tomatoes, mushrooms. Served over spinach.
    You can also julienne a zucchini to make "spaghetti" or slice them in a mandoline to make alternative lasagna noodles. Way lower carb/cal than actual noodles. Can be used in any recipe that calls for actual noodles.

Maybe make something with egg whites? Low cal and low carb. Crustless, cheeseless, egg white and vegetables baked frittata?
  • abetterbrandi
    Options
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/02/zucchini-lasagna.html

Made this before its actually real good and a serving is only 345 calories. So that leaves a good bit for the other two courses.

She doesnt have an oven but nice idea! Also, OP seriously you are being too strict. This is one day. Enjoy yourself!
  • emmamaybear
    Options
    I know, I know, I'm gonna have to let go of a few of the conditions! However this dinner is the start of a feasting few days and I find it hard to let go completely, I just started losing weight and would really much like to continue :) But if I'll up my calories and lose the low(ish) carb idea, I should be good right?
  • abetterbrandi
    Options
    Yeah, I mean honestly its good to want to stay on track but just dont over complicate it for a one time a year celebration you know? If you are focused the majority of the time, these special occasions shouldnt hinder your loss or goals.
  • agggie550
    agggie550 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Oh my bad, didn't read the oven part, im pretty sure you could make this and microwave it, i mean it wont cook the same because its not oven baked, but you could probably microwave the zucchini individually first, so they dry out a little and heat up, then add the sauce and cheese and cook the whole thing fro like 5 minutes, it might work. Good luck.
  • abickford82
    Options
    Fix two separate dinners for the both of you?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Do you live in the US or the UK?
  • emmamaybear
    Options
    I'm thinking baked zucchini/eggplant with lowfat cheese, and sweet potato fries with sour cream right now. Its over my calorie goal but somewhat healthy I suppose? Maybe some baked apple with oatmeal for dessert?

And I'm in the Netherlands, so neither ;)
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Hey guys!

So, tomorrow night I'll be having a small christmas feast with my boyfriend.. I was thinking 3 courses. However, he's a vegetarian and I try to eat low carb & low cal.. And I find that hard to combine, also because we don't have an oven, just a microwave..
    I'm looking for something between 500-800 kcal for the whole dinner.

Does anybody have some helpful tips? I'll be checking out the internet all evening too, but maybe someone here has experience with it?

Thanks a lot!

My tip would be to enjoy your Christmas without so many rigid restrictions. It's one meal!!! I understand if he is a vegetarian...that's a particular lifestyle so I'm not suggesting a meat fest. But cook your veggies dishes and forget the cals and carbs for one meal. The next day you can get right back on track.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking baked zucchini/eggplant with lowfat cheese, and sweet potato fries with sour cream right now. Its over my calorie goal but somewhat healthy I suppose? Maybe some baked apple with oatmeal for dessert?

And I'm in the Netherlands, so neither ;)

Ahhh...was going to suggest some meat alternatives that are pretty good but I am not sure if they do them there.

It's one day...I would relax, enjoy and not worry too much about the calories/carbs.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I don't know what kind of nice meal could be cooked only in a microwave.... Maybe some spaghetti?
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    sounds like ruining christmas