Achieving V02 max of 34 - 42

Options
Hi

Im an operational firefighter and have a work fitness test due in feb 14, compulsary every three years.

I have to achieve at least 34 V02 max to remain active in work, although they do like you to hit 42 V02 max. My last result was 38.8 V02 max three years ago

Recently I was at my heaviest ever at 211 lbs. In the last 5 weeks i have lost 17lbs, is this to much to quick or should i keep up my training plan and hope to lose the same before the test.

Will this allow me me to achieve a V02 max above 34 in Feb, i am now 50yrs old...

any help and inspiration welcolmed

ps this would be my last ever test if i pass, as i retire in 2016 woohoo

thanks

Replies

• AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    If you're losing much more than 2 lbs per week (less later) you can be sure you're dropping lean muscle mass along with the fat. So for general health reasons, you might want to get in a better deficit range.

Since you're measured on cardio vascular fitness, that is what you should train for. If it were me, I'd do three HIIT sessions per week and three steady state cardio sessions (80 - 90% Max HR) per week. Taking one day off.

Focus your eating (type and timing) to fuel these sessions.

Enjoy!
  • Devol
    Devol Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Hi Allan

thanks for that

can you explain HIT sessions please ?

my daily training consists of:-

1. 3 0r 5 mile run,
    2. 0.5 or 1 mile swim
    3. light weights

thanks again for the reply
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    VO2 max is all about fitness - rapid weight loss isn't really ideal....
    As Allan says - concentrate on your cardio, agree that a mix of high intensity and low intensity sessions would be best.

How is your VO2 max being tested? (Running, cycling, rowing?)
    Actually if running (Cooper test for example) weight loss would help!

I would recommend the majority of your cardio training is done the same way you will be tested. You will get some "cheat" VO2 improvements just from being better and practicing at that particular activity.

Your daily training is fine for the low intensity stuff but that's mostly building endurance not peak fitness - intervals or fartlek would be better.

If you are a smoker - stop!

If you want inspiration...... Age isn't a barrier, I'm older than you and a bit knocked about, my latest score was 48.
  • Devol
    Options
    its actually a walking/jogging test with a 3 % incline increase every 2 minutes.

thanks for the advice
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    If you're losing much more than 2 lbs per week (less later) you can be sure you're dropping lean muscle mass along with the fat. So for general health reasons, you might want to get in a better deficit range.

Since you're measured on cardio vascular fitness, that is what you should train for. If it were me, I'd do three HIIT sessions per week and three steady state cardio sessions (80 - 90% Max HR) per week. Taking one day off.

Focus your eating (type and timing) to fuel these sessions.

Enjoy!

That seems awfully high to me. I believe OP would be better served to stay well within his aerobic capacity in between HIIT sessions.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    its actually a walking/jogging test with a 3 % incline increase every 2 minutes.
    Sounds like you need to become best mates with the "dreadmill"....:smile:
    As it's weight bearing then losing some weight would help but you need to make sure you are fuelling yourself properly or your energy levels will drop and training will suffer.
    As you are already a runner that's a big advantage. Mix of longer steady runs, fartlek/intervals and hills would seem to fit the bill.

Best of luck - smash it!!!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I couldn't really figure out your protocol, but, in additional to your "base" training, it is essential to specifically "train for the test". Many graded exercise tests feature a combination of a fast walking speed with steep inclines. If you aren't used to it, then localized muscle fatigue can be a limiting factor rather than aerobic fitness level.

Hypothetically, graded exercise test results should not be affected by the testing methodology, but in real life, being acclimated to the specific workloads of the testing protocol can increase your performance by 5%-10% (or, more accurately, it will allow you to work at your true aerobic capacity and not be cut short by muscle fatigue).

In addition to base runs, 1 tempo run and 1 interval (working at the advanced stages of the testing protocol) per week will yield best results.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I strongly suggest you look into interval training if you want to increase your VO2 max.

Run alternate quarter mile intervals at recovery and very fast pace. Use the Jack Daniels (no really, that's his name) VDOT calculator to estimate the speeds you should run -

http://www.runbayou.com/jackd.htm

Even with the slowly ramping incline, just steady state trudging is not going to increase your VO2 max significantly unless you are currently terribly out of shape.
  • Ant_the_old_keith_lemon
    Options
    so the deal is you need to be fit and on a certain weight? or do you just need to be fit??

do as the guy says, HIIT training spiking into your 90% and youll increase your VO2 max like no tomorrow, you may even loose some weight..

if you want to loose weight and get fit slowly do as the person says about staying within your aerobic threshold - this is boring... go hardcore!

Best of luck - heres hoping you stay on to be a serving hero
  • QuietBloom
    Options
    so the deal is you need to be fit and on a certain weight? or do you just need to be fit??

do as the guy says, HIIT training spiking into your 90% and youll increase your VO2 max like no tomorrow, you may even loose some weight..

if you want to loose weight and get fit slowly do as the person says about staying within your aerobic threshold - this is boring... go hardcore!

Duh. I advised he do that BETWEEN HIIT sessions.
  • Ant_the_old_keith_lemon
    Options

so you did.... but i have CAPS LOCK TOO :) xx
  • QuietBloom
    Options

so you did.... but i have CAPS LOCK TOO :) xx

I was using them to help your reading comprehension. And it worked!
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    If it's really important, might want to get yourself tested before the "real" test. See where you're at.
  • Devol
    Options
    Thanks everyone for getting back to me

im going for the interval training, hopefully it will improve my V02 max

merry xmas
  • Devol
    Options
    just an update on my test, 3 years ago I scored a poor 38

this time round following advice on here I achieved 51 V02 max

thanks guys for your help and advice